Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Chris Barber

The jazz legend has passed away, aged 90. 

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Thought you meant the Charlton fan

RIP
  • Options
    Love trad jazz and Chris Barber was one of the best.

RIP
  • Options
    another name from 'The Light Programme' of my childhood .. terrific musician and band leader .. R I P
  • Options
    Not a huge jazz fan but did see Chris Barber live at The Marquee in the 1980s as support to Dr John in a Mardi Gras special. Very good evening.

RIP

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Nice story about Chris from my friend Ricky on Facebook: 

He was a very nice chap when I met him in 1982. We (Stargazers) were booked to play at the Marquee Club in London. I arrived there early and was the first one to arrive to load in. The place was closed so I pushed a few door bells next to the club entrance. Someone spoke on the intercom, I said that I wanted to load in, “Wait there I’ll be down in a minute,” came the answer.
    A few seconds later the door opened and I was gobsmaked to see Chris Barber standing there right in front of me. “You’re Chris Barber!” I said in a state of shock, “That’s right, pass me that drum and follow me” he said as he carried my Trixon bass drum up some steep stairs, through his office, through another door and down more stairs onto the Marquee stage!!!
    I couldn’t believe it, over the next 10 minutes he helped me lug my whole kit onto the stage. “Many thanks!” I said, “No probs, anytime!” was his friendly reply, what a lovely chap, I never saw him again.
  • Options
    Used to love a bit of Trad Jazz, actually worked, way back in the day, with a jazz musician called 'Charlie Galbraith', I think he once played with Chris Barbers band. RIP Chris.
  • Options
    My family were all big trad jazz fans back then and Chris Barber’s band were right up there on that list. Very sad. RIP Chris. 
  • Options
    In his early years played regularly at the Shakespeare, Powis St - those wonderful Sunday evenings. Memorable bands performed - Colyer, Silk probably foremost. Big crowds - waiting list for membership. George Webb who started the New Orleans revival at the Red Barn Bexleyheath ran the club at the Shakespeare and never missed a game at the Valley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's probably mentioned on this thread and in various of the obituaries but as well as introducing electric guitar to "trad" jazz much to the hectoring dismay of the establishment bores, CB played bass on Lonnie Donegan's famous 1954 recording of The Rock Island Line - one of the genre shifting recordings for artists on both sides of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    It's probably mentioned on this thread and in various of the obituaries but as well as introducing electric guitar to "trad" jazz much to the hectoring dismay of the establishment bores, CB played bass on Lonnie Donegan's famous 1954 recording of The Rock Island Line - one of the genre shifting recordings for artists on both sides of the Atlantic.
    I only found out recently that Bobby Darin's first single was a cover of Donegan's arrangement of Rock Island Line.