Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian St John RIP

Comments

• Options
    Loved Saint and Greavsie. I'd watch that back now. 

• Options
    just saw that on twitter, very sad - grew up watching Saint and Greavsie and used to love it

RIP
  • Options
    good memories of I St J .. R I P
  • Options
    RIP.
    Very good footballer.
  • Options
    True Liverpool legend
  • Options
    RIP Ian
  • Options
    Sad news. Remember playing golf with him at a promotional event at Royal Liverpool many years ago. RIP Ian.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The Saint was a true legend and top fella.
    A lesser know fact about him, he took part in a "find a new commentator"  competition that the BBC ran for the 1970 World Cup.
    Ten thousand people entered and the 6 contestants in the broadcast final were anonymous. The final 2 were tied and it turned out to be Idwal Robling and I St J (who I'd thought the best of the 6 by a mile).
    Alf Ramsey had the casting vote and plumped for the Welshman Robling.
    RIP Saint.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Top class player who epitomised the Shankly era at Liverpool. Always remember poster outside a church in Liverpool which said, "what shall you do when the Lord comes?". Somebody had scrawled underneath, "move St John to inside left". 
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Saint. 
  • Options
    Liverpool legend - a top quality footballer and latterly in broadcasting also.

RIP Saint.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Sadly too young to have seen him play but Saint & Greavsie was a staple of Saturday TV growing up. Loved watching them both on that show. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P. Like many others, I really enjoyed Saint and Greavsie. They had a great chemistry.
  • Options
    What would they do if Jesus came to Liverpool?

They’d move St John to outside left.
  • Options
    Rest in peace Saint 

Loved Saint and Greavsie as a kid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember watching him play for Swansea against us at the Vetch Field.

We lost 1-0, of course ...... he either scored or assisted their winner, I think - all a bit hazy now.

RIP

• Options
    All the greats are going. Sad day.
  • Options
    RIP Sir.
    loved St n Greavsie
    I bet no one thought you’d go first though 😞
  • Options
    Ian St John was an excellent player and part of an important part of the Liverpool team. They won 4-0 at The Valley when they were promoted from the 2nd Division in 1962. The forward line was Callaghan, Hunt, St John, Melia and A'Court. Not bad for the second tier. I can almost name the whole team with out looking. Lawrence in goal and the half backs were Milne, Yeats and Leishman. Annoyingly, the full backs have gone out my head.

Saint and Greavsie was unique; there's been nothing like it.

RIP Saint.
  • Options
    How sad yet another football legend passes on. Used to love, like many others on here have said,  Saint and Greavsie, great football program. RIP Ian and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Part of my childhood gone. Farewell Saint.
  • Options
    RIP Saint
  • Options
    RIP.  Hope BT do a documentary on him, bit like the Greavsie one but would be full of him laughing.  
  • Options
    I am just too young to remember him playing for Liverpool, but plenty old enough to recall Saint and Greavesie. Quite groundbreaking at the time, having so much humour in a football show, until then they had all been pretty strait laced as I recall? RIP Saint.   
  • Options
    Ian St John was an excellent player and part of an important part of the Liverpool team. They won 4-0 at The Valley when they were promoted from the 2nd Division in 1962. The forward line was Callaghan, Hunt, St John, Melia and A'Court. Not bad for the second tier. I can almost name the whole team with out looking. Lawrence in goal and the half backs were Milne, Yeats and Leishman. Annoyingly, the full backs have gone out my head.

Saint and Greavsie was unique; there's been nothing like it.

RIP Saint.
    Ronnie Moran and Gerry Byrne?