Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stan and Ollie BBC1 8.25 Friday 19th

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Missed it but watched a documentary about them once, where Stan Laurels telephone number was in the phone book, and if you called him he would chat to you, and lived in the same modest house for years.
    Kevin Nolan lived in LA at the time, and saw his number in the book. Not realising that Stan was happy to chat to anyone, he never made the call. He always says it is one of the big regrets in his life. 

• Options
    Looking forward to settling down Sunday afternoon to watch this.

Personally, I always found Abbott and Costello funnier.
  • Options
    It is a lovely film and Reilly and Coogan are excellent in the roles. 
  • Options
    Wonderful film 
  • Options
    Deciding who was funnier out of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton is as difficult as deciding who is the better footballer, Messi or Ronaldo. Yet, Keaton was decisive on the former question, stating, 'Chaplin wasn't the funniest. I wasn't the funniest. Stan Laurel was the funniest.'

I wish the BBC would show the Laurel and Hardy films again, as they did in the Eighties, otherwise these classics will fade into obscurity. 
    I would add the Marx Bros to that list of genius.
    Sadly, quite a few of the Marx Bros' films don't do justice to their talent.
    The Marx Brothers were as crazy off-stage as on! When I read Harpo’s or Groucho’s autobiographies I end up laughing as much as when I watch their films.

The Marx Brothers were zanier than Laurel and Hardy, but Stan and Ollie were the best!
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe the provincial small theatres in England would've been half empty when Laurel and Hardy were performing. Seeing actual footage from Ireland and the above from Dymchurch in Kent, where big crowds were an enthusiastic audience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Deciding who was funnier out of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton is as difficult as deciding who is the better footballer, Messi or Ronaldo. Yet, Keaton was decisive on the former question, stating, 'Chaplin wasn't the funniest. I wasn't the funniest. Stan Laurel was the funniest.'

I wish the BBC would show the Laurel and Hardy films again, as they did in the Eighties, otherwise these classics will fade into obscurity. 
    The Marx Brothers were as crazy off-stage as on! When I read Harpo’s or Groucho’s autobiographies I end up laughing as much as when I watch their films.

The Marx Brothers were zanier than Laurel and Hardy, but Stan and Ollie were the best!

Stan and Ollie were the best, I can't disagree.

But all this talk of the Marx Brothers (brilliant), and Abbot and Costello (not in the same league) made me think of this genius - a contemporary. Up there with the very best and this scene is still hilarious however many times I've watched it.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Stan and Ollie and the Marx brothers were magic for me as a kid. I also liked the Road films with Eltham's finest Bob Hope and the man who last hit was a golf ball, Bing Crosby.
    ?....doesn’t make sense sam?

What part SoundAsa£ ?

That Bob Hope was born in Eltham or that the man who's last big hit was a golf ball.   Unfortunately Bing Crosby's last big hit was on a golf course and he died hours later after leaving the 18th.
    I consider 1977 fair game for a comedic response even if it's at the old crooner's expense.

Ah right......you wrote the word who instead of who’s in your first post.😏
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Stan and Ollie were the best, I can't disagree.

But all this talk of the Marx Brothers (brilliant), and Abbot and Costello (not in the same league) made me think of this genius - a contemporary. Up there with the very best and this scene is still hilarious however many times I've watched it.

Oh my Bob.....that’s just a nothing of nothing. 
    Incomparable to any 1-minute clip you like from Music Box
  • Options
    Watched the film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a fan of the genre, it did them justice I felt. 

As an aside, my dad got me into some of the old b&w classics and I have grown to love the Will Hay, Graham Moffatt, Moore Marriott films, 'Ask a Policeman' & Oh Mr Porter' and are in my Saturday afternoons by myself list. 
  • Options
    Watched the film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a fan of the genre, it did them justice I felt. 

As an aside, my dad got me into some of the old b&w classics and I have grown to love the Will Hay, Graham Moffatt, Moore Marriott films, 'Ask a Policeman' & Oh Mr Porter' and are in my Saturday afternoons by myself list. 
    Will Hay was a genius. Recommend the Graham rinaldi book.
  • Options
    I really is a special film. 

• Options
    They were geniuses 
  • Options
    Great performances, a reminder of how naturally funny Laurel and Hardy were together

A name not mentioned here, but someone else I really liked was Harold Lloyd. Some great physical stunts, but also in many ways a forerunner of later romantic comedies as there was often a girl involved in the stories, and Lloyd unlike the other silent era comedians wasn't "funny" looking

Harold Lloyd was excellent but didn’t beat Laurel and Hardy. 

My absolute favourite was Will Hay who absolutely blew away any other comedians in black and white films
  • Options
    Excellent film, Laurel and Hardy were the best for me, amongst the very funny films they made Music Box has already been mentioned my favourite, Sons Of The Desert, Our Relations and Way Out West and many more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah great film. Love Laurel & Hardy. Loved them as a kid and still have a lot of affection for them. Although not factually correct, the film was well acted and seemed to reflect their relationship well.