Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard interviewed on the “Totally Football League Show” Podcast

2»

Comments

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    ‘Worst case scenario is another season in league one’
    The worst case scenario before TS came long was we'd go out of business.

Wigan fans would love to be in out position
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    sammy391 said:

Listening to the positives in that interview it's worth remembering that Wigan could very well be in our position & us in theirs .....or worse. Thankfully Wigan is a "rugby town"
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I actually felt TS's goals were the proper balance between ambition, realism and accountability.
    1. Not giving up on this season
    2. Aiming for automatic promotion next year
    3. Five years after that to the EPL
    4. Three years after that for upper half ot table.
    Obviously, that is very hard but I guess I should remind everyone that just in the last 10-15 years Southampton, Wolves and Crystal Palace achieved ALL that in even less time.
    We should have goals that are hard to reach. I find these qualify as "stretch goals" for sure but not impossible ones.
    In the great business book "Measure What Matters" by John Doerr, he learned over the years in his businesses that if you set your goals high (but not impossible) but fall short you are still usually better off than if you set modestly achievable goals and actually reach them.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    I can't see Bowyer lasting past October unless we are already promoted (unlikely) or a strong top 6 contender.
    He won’t be in charge for the first game of next season, confident on this. 
    Why so confident?
    I've seen nothing in the past few months that shows me Bowyer can turn this around. If we continue playing the same between now and the end of the season I can't see any way TS keeps him on. I'd go as far as saying, if we continue to lose and ship goals over the next few games, he could pull the trigger sooner. 

In his own words, he believes we have the best squad in the league. We could be 11th once those around us play their games in end. Unacceptable. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

So we should accept failure? 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    sammy391 said:

There is a big difference beyween ⬆️ 

And this ⬇️
    I actually felt TS's goals were the proper balance between ambition, realism and accountability.
    1. Not giving up on this season
    2. Aiming for automatic promotion next year
    3. Five years after that to the EPL
    4. Three years after that for upper half ot table.
    Obviously, that is very hard but I guess I should remind everyone that just in the last 10-15 years Southampton, Wolves and Crystal Palace achieved ALL that in even less time.
    We should have goals that are hard to reach. I find these qualify as "stretch goals" for sure but not impossible ones.
    In the great business book "Measure What Matters" by John Doerr, he learned over the years in his businesses that if you set your goals high (but not impossible) but fall short you are still usually better off than if you set modestly achievable goals and actually reach them.
    No problem with ambition or having targets that "stretch" you. However, they have to be realistic. Assuming we are still in League 1 next season we will be 1 of 24 teams trying to gain promotion. Some will only have eyes on survival but most will start the season thinking that this is their time (or certainly the chairman / owner will). The last 2 times we have been in this division it's taken 3 years. First time it took a great manager & the nous to buy the best players in the league. Last time it took a last minute goal. 3rd time around might need more of the first than the second. It wont be easy & if one (or more) of Forest, Sheff Wed or Birmingham get relegated it will be that much harder.

Sometimes a touch of realism is needed along with the rhetoric.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    sammy391 said:

How is it accepting failure? Yes we could, maybe should be doing better. I was just responding to people's description of the 'worst case scenario'
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    sammy391 said:

How is it accepting failure? Yes we could, maybe should be doing better. I was just responding to people's description of the 'worst case scenario'
    You’re comparing us to Wigan and bringing up the ‘going out of business’ scenario. 

Bowyer has had two transfer Windows to get the right, the fact he didn’t sort the defence out in jan is criminal.

We will probably scrape a win tonight, but it’s only delaying the inevitable. He won’t see out the season. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hopefully we some unity on the pitch tonight. Buzzing for this one.