Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bail out for broke Bexley

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Big_bad_world I think the locality thing is partly why, there is also the political aspect in some quarters. I haven't had any dealings with Bexley council since my dad died, but they were hell to deal with then and were fairly upfront that their service (care in this case) was crap and if we wanted better we should go private (which wasn't financially possible). I think it's important to understand why there are problems there - it's not like Croydon (Labour run) which went bust a while ago because they'd made stupid financial decisions (like investing in shopping centres or a house builder that didn't build any houses). Or are there things that haven't come out yet?

I don't think the political point scoring is helpful here, but given that there was plenty of rhetoric when Croydon hit the buffers, it's hardly surprising. 

And underlying everything is that local government has been cut by quite significant sums since 2010. If Bexley has gone bust despite providing fewer services than comparable councils, then there's something wrong, though I've no knowledge as to what it's worth talking about because it's likely someone on here will know more. 
    For all the image of Bexley as somewhere that's leafy and well-off, it includes Erith, Crayford, Slade Green, Lower Belvedere and part of Thamesmead, none of which really fit that pattern. Maybe the last year with its knock on effect on things like council tax as people lose their jobs and need help? 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    rananegra said:
    @Big_bad_world I think the locality thing is partly why, there is also the political aspect in some quarters. I haven't had any dealings with Bexley council since my dad died, but they were hell to deal with then and were fairly upfront that their service (care in this case) was crap and if we wanted better we should go private (which wasn't financially possible). I think it's important to understand why there are problems there - it's not like Croydon (Labour run) which went bust a while ago because they'd made stupid financial decisions (like investing in shopping centres or a house builder that didn't build any houses). Or are there things that haven't come out yet?

I don't think the political point scoring is helpful here, but given that there was plenty of rhetoric when Croydon hit the buffers, it's hardly surprising. 

And underlying everything is that local government has been cut by quite significant sums since 2010. If Bexley has gone bust despite providing fewer services than comparable councils, then there's something wrong, though I've no knowledge as to what it's worth talking about because it's likely someone on here will know more. 
    For all the image of Bexley as somewhere that's leafy and well-off, it includes Erith, Crayford, Slade Green, Lower Belvedere and part of Thamesmead, none of which really fit that pattern. Maybe the last year with its knock on effect on things like council tax as people lose their jobs and need help? 

@rananegra thank you for your response. It's appreciated. I have relatives in Bexley so am aware of some of their issues.

Again, thank you for a considered reply.
  • Options
    Maybe the top brass there will take a pay cut......
    Amongst other things, I was in charge of Remuneration at Bexley from 2003-2011. The salaries were well over the top with 5% and 10% annual bonuses potentially awarded to the top 80 staff and the ability to pay 110% of management scales. Mad. Both of these had gone by the time I left as I delivered Single Status (one pay scale, hours of work, overtime rates etc) across the Council.

Spent my life working in local government but I absoloutely hated it there. With regards to why Bexley is in financial trouble, it has no Council stock to sell and low increases in Council Tax, certainly in the noughties, were funded by reducing what reserves it had in order to keep the Tories in power.
    Thanks for the insight 
  • Options
    Does seem a little odd that it's only £3.87m for Bexley when you hear of other local councils and their deficits being much greater. Maybe it's cash flow as much as anything.

Slipped into the same speech was they 'reluctantly agreed' to allow London councils to increase council tax by up to 10%, but think that's ultimately down to Khan.
  • Options
    Given the state of the finances of the country, I’m surprised only 4 have hit choppy waters, lots more to come probably?
  • Options
    Always struck me as wronguns, Bexleyites!
  • Options
    Too true.

Calling someone a "Bexley" was a (very non-PC) insult in Abbey Wood in the 60s.
  • Options
    Working in social care I have to say Bexley are the absolute worst council to deal with. Totally useless. It’s been bad since 2000
  • Options
    It is hilarious that some miss the point about a focus on Bexley. These may or may not be the same people who would observe the colour of the council as a reason were it not a blue one. It is good to point out it is a Tory council because it shows the reasons for this happening can be much more complex than some wish to see or believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    In terms of the extra funding, would the influence of five MPs (that I know of - there might be more) living in the Borough have any bearing?
  • Options
    They have been selling off council owned land (including park land)  for development over the past couple of years to make ends meet.
  • Options
    Well they can't increase council tax anymore. I'm already having to sell my kidney to afford that alongside my garden waste subscription.  And as someone says, no rubbish bin or paper recycling collection yet this week..... (was due Monday)
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    They have been selling off council owned land (including park land)  for development over the past couple of years to make ends meet.
    Correct, I believe there is currently 3 parcels of land of a public forum currently. I came across them the other day whilst looking at a framework for Bexley Council. 
  • Options
    Well they can't increase council tax anymore. I'm already having to sell my kidney to afford that alongside my garden waste subscription.  And as someone says, no rubbish bin or paper recycling collection yet this week..... (was due Monday)
    Yup, still no waste collection ... their website states it’s delayed due to an ‘incident’ ... snow possibly?!?
  • Options
    Too true.

Calling someone a "Bexley" was a (very non-PC) insult in Abbey Wood in the 60s.
    Along with “Unit”
  • Options
    Bromley didn't collect rubbish this week due to snow/ice.
    I think that's fair enough looking at the state of the side roads and pavements, the last few days.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Yup, still no waste collection ... their website states it’s delayed due to an ‘incident’ ... snow possibly?!?
    The word on the street (well the website anyway) is no garden waste collection this week, everything else is back on but running late.
  • Options
    Three times I’ve read the title of this thread as “Balls out for broke Bexley”... Happy to do my bit, but I am getting some strange looks from people on the train.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Our paper and food were collected yesterday, general today. I do live in one of their designated VIP priority roads though... :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I accept the adverse weather conditions would affect the collections this week. I do question the cost of the monthly tax (and the additional cost of the garden bin!)

@AFKABartram
     does VIP stand for 'Very Impatient People' ?
  • Options
    Very Impish Person