Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

league list of games since won after conceding first goal of the game

Ok - as I am not working as got a chest infection, I thought I would have a look at the other teams to see if our 38 game streak is so unusual.

As stated, this is only when conceding the first goal, so winning from 2-1 down doesn't count
This is only league games though - not sure if Golfie's Charlton figure includes non league games.

Fleetwood  1
Peterborough 1
Shrewsbury 1
Oxford 2
Doncaster 3
Blackpool 4
Lincoln 5
Wigan 5
Accrington 6
Crewe 6
Hull 6
Ipswich 6
Bristol Rovers 7
MK Dons 10
Plymouth 10
Swindon 10
Gillingham 13
Northampton 18
Burton 19
Sunderland 19
AFC Wimbledon 20
Rochdale 21
Portsmouth 22

Charlton 38

Comments

• Options
    I can't work out what's happening here?
  • Options
    Disappointed this thread isnt called "the Golfie"
  • Options
    I thought that the last time we did it was the play-off final. If so, that's far more than 38.

I think the count should include League, FA Cup, and League Cup matches.
  • Options
    Sorry, I think you're saying that we've conceded first in 38 league games since the play-off final.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Ok - as I am not working as got a chest infection, I thought I would have a look at the other teams to see if our 38 game streak is so unusual.

As stated, this is only when conceding the first goal, so winning from 2-1 down doesn't count
    This is only league games though - not sure if Golfie's Charlton figure includes non league games.

Fleetwood  1
    Peterborough 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Oxford 2
    Doncaster 3
    Blackpool 4
    Lincoln 5
    Wigan 5
    Accrington 6
    Crewe 6
    Hull 6
    Ipswich 6
    Bristol Rovers 7
    MK Dons 10
    Plymouth 10
    Swindon 10
    Gillingham 13
    Northampton 18
    Burton 19
    Sunderland 19
    AFC Wimbledon 20
    Rochdale 21
    Portsmouth 22

Charlton 38
    Now I understand why Curbs keeps saying on Valley Pass the first goal is important.

This is not to say this crop have no fight back in them though The come backs against Swindon and Rochdale despite the fact we should never have got into those positions and should have gone on to win both, still showed we do have some fight in us. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I can't work out what's happening here?
    it is basically saying how long ago that we won a game after going 1-0 down. 

For example Fleetwood won last night after going 1-0 down so their total is 1 game ago. 

For Swindon they have to go back 10 occasions that they conceded first goal before coming across a game they went on to win.  

For Charlton according to golfie it is 38 instances of going behind 1-0 since we actually turned it around and won the game. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I think you're saying that we've conceded first in 38 league games since the play-off final.
    no it's saying we have conceded first on 38 occasions and then not gone on to win.
  • Options
    I thought that the last time we did it was the play-off final. If so, that's far more than 38.

I think the count should include League, FA Cup, and League Cup matches.
    The league one results on BBC only go back to February 2020. For the teams who still had runs outstanding I had to go into each clubs wiki page for 2019/20 season 

Too many different sources to include cup games. 

• Options
    It is still 38 games for charlton if you ignore the play off final

we beat Luton 3-1 on 13 April 2019 after going one Down  
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I include the play off final as its almost a league game, ie a team in the same league & playing your best team.

I don't count cup games just because of the above  - FA /League Cup we invariably rest players & play a mix of U23's & players returning from injury or not getting games.  This would skew the stats and we might be playing lesser opposition. 

A week or 2 ago someone came up with the 38 number & I think it might have included a cup game or 2. At that time I had thought the number was around 36 but went with 38 as someone had actually gone back since Wembley and done the maths.

Fwiw - The exact number doesn't really matter, especially if you look at the above table. The vast majority of teams might go no more than a dozen games or so before breaking their duck - we have taken a season and a half. I appreciate that a lot of that was in the Championship & playing better teams, but I'm sure if you look at Luton & Barnsley you'll find that their numbers are around the average.

I only started bringing this up before xmas as due to not going to games I watch Soccer Saturday more often & see week in & week out teams turning around a 1-0 deficit. I was really pleased when we turned around the Wimbledon match as that was the first time since Boxing Day 2019 (Bristol City at home) where we turned around a losing position into a winning one. We just can't do it from 1-0.

Interesting to see how this awful stat is now gaining recognition
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    This is interesting as it ultimately points itself to the sub-factors of squad availability, tactics and plan a/b. 

We've managed to turn games into draws, but need to push on for the win if behind and not attempt our awful brand of "managing the game" at any stage which doesn't ever work. 
  • Options
    thats us doomed then today
  • Options
    All jokes aside, this is a concerning stat/fact now which will kill our playoff hopes.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Which has Killed Off 
  • Options
    Thing is today we had all but 30 secs of the whole 90 mins to get back into the game and win it. Its not as if we went 1-0 down after 60 mins......we had 89.5 mins. 

The one truly fucking thing that has done my head in today about all of this is that Millwall managed to do it inside 45 mins this afternoon. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    Oxford pass the Golfie Test today. And that was after going 1-0 down in the 57th minute

Wolves also did it earlier today
  • Options
    Oxford pass the Golfie Test today. And that was after going 1-0 down in the 57th minute

Wolves also did it earlier today
    And looking at the above table they had only gone 2 games from doing it before.

So that's twice in 4 games. We've gone 39 games.

Just read that sentence again & think about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Fair play to Oxford. It looks like our old Manager is out to prove a point this season. 

I really wish we didn't try our hardest to make the game go ahead yesterday. It's just so typical Charlton, like our local Derby or Sky record, that we flop after such a big build up to 90 minutes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Fair play to Oxford. It looks like our old Manager is out to prove a point this season. 

I really wish we didn't try our hardest to make the game go ahead yesterday. It's just so typical Charlton, like our local Derby or Sky record, that we flop after such a big build up to 90 minutes. 
    Oxford should have got promoted last season. Indeed the surprise was that they started this season so badly, as they were expected to be promotion chasers again
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Oxford should have got promoted last season. Indeed the surprise was that they started this season so badly, as they were expected to be promotion chasers again
    Maybe we should have given him another 3 transfer windows.  I mean he was loyal to us, never going to get anywhere chopping and changing managers every 2 or 3 years. 
  • Options
    Lincoln now winning after going 1-0 down after 6 mins. 

Second time in 6 matches for them. 

39 and counting for us.
  • Options
    Couldn't hold on... FT 2-2 :-)
  • Options
    In the top four divisions today 9 teams won after conceding the first goal. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    So after yesterday we're now at 40 games?

Peterborough and Swindon both at 1, after both turned 1-0 deficits into 2-1 wins. Peterborough have won 4 times in their last 10 games after going behind, including against us.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    May I suggest 'The Golfie Challenge.'

Every entrant gives a date for when they think 'the golfie19' will finish, and the person closest to this date wins. In the event of more than one correct answer then the final result wins. If still undecided, the earliest prediction wins.

I'm going for:
    23rd October 2021. 3-1 win.
  • Options
    02/03/2021
  • Options
    Another question that needs to be asked to the Management team in an interview. It's a highly relevant one!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    02/03/2021
    This. It will happen tonight.