Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Gutted for Jake.
    Had a decent season, and one week before the end he gets an ACL injury.

When it was announced we had a fully fit squad two weeks ago you knew that trouble was ahead. Wasn't true because Washington had to be eased back into the team and the ongoing Chuks Aneke adventure.

Not sure how the politics plays out if your contract runs out at the end of June and you will only be fit for selection around March 22. Tear or Rupture will determine the rehabilitation process and length.

Robbie Savage said he never even had a pulled hamstring in his long career yet Jake has had two ACL.

If Jake wins the POTY ( I voted for Chuks as he influences the game the most in his truncated time on the field) it will give JFC a boost in his recovery whether with Cafc of another club after his recovery.
  • Options
    Thomas has only done the right thing since he’s been here so will be amazed if jake doesn’t get at least another year.
  • Options
    Gutted for him. POTS for me. Hope he gets another contract 
  • Options
    Knowing him personally, I feel for him. Performances have been solid, but mentally, this is the most focussed I’ve known him since he was at Brighton and around the England U21 set up. Hopefully his recovery will be a quick one and he’ll be back on the pitch soon.
    Don't "do" Twitter so please pass on our very best wishes for a swift recovery & for next season, @SurvivaloftheFittest.

What a nightmare end to his best season with us so far. 
  • Options
    Right thing to do to feed an extra year from a point of view of messaging to other players going out of contract in future and getting worried about injuries near the end of the season.

Would be interesting to know why JFC had not already signed an extension though - i.e his choice or ours.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I imagine he won't get a new contract with us if injured as back to back ACLs is bit of a risk, but we may take it.
    Is it really a risk, giving him another year, in "football terms" it's sod all money.  If there is another wage cap he would be exempt from it as wouldn't be in our "squad".

It's 100% the right thing to do.  Especially for our 2nd longest serving player and one that has played nearly every game this season.  

Depends on how long he’s out for (it sounds like a less serious version of the previous injury so maybe 3-6 months rather than the 8-9 last time?) and whether Nigel was planning to keep him prior to this news.

There’s no room for sentiment in football. Thomas would not take kindly to paying someone a pity wage. Come and use our facilities for your recovery, sure. But let’s only be offering contracts to players that are actually in Nigel’s plan.
  • Options
     JFC is the only footballer I can think of that was physically stronger after an ACL. Nice bloke, wish him all the best, hope he stays. He just brought a house in Lingfield so suspect he thought he would be staying.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I imagine he won't get a new contract with us if injured as back to back ACLs is bit of a risk, but we may take it.
    Is it really a risk, giving him another year, in "football terms" it's sod all money.  If there is another wage cap he would be exempt from it as wouldn't be in our "squad".

It's 100% the right thing to do.  Especially for our 2nd longest serving player and one that has played nearly every game this season.  

Depends on how long he’s out for (it sounds like a less serious version of the previous injury so maybe 3-6 months rather than the 8-9 last time?) and whether Nigel was planning to keep him prior to this news.

There’s no room for sentiment in football. Thomas would not take kindly to paying someone a pity wage. Come and use our facilities for your recovery, sure. But let’s only be offering contracts to players that are actually in Nigel’s plan.
    It wouldn't be a pity wage though. JFC could well be voted player of the season and have more to offer us.  It does also make the club more attractive to players and ultimately we (us fans) should be more generous to Taylor and Solly if we don't think we should do this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure he’ll get a year. We have a duty of care to those we employ and we have a history of supporting those who have got injured whilst playing for us, it’s the least we can do until he’s fit and ready to play again. Not my favourite player and I think he’s very overrated but I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

It wouldn't be a pity wage though. JFC could well be voted player of the season and have more to offer us.  It does also make the club more attractive to players and ultimately we (us fans) should be more generous to Taylor and Solly if we don't think we should do this.
    You’ve taken a bit of stick recently Muttley but I agree with every word you’ve said here.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

You’ve taken a bit of stick recently Muttley but I agree with every word you’ve said here.
    Makes a change :)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know I'm in the minority here - he's a decent player and will win POTY for good reason but I was hoping he wouldn't be first choice next season after the rebuild. I think he gets a lot of leeway from our fans because he's a bit of a local lad that the fans can identify with and he gets stuck in which helps.

The numbers are such that giving JFC another year will cost the club $200-250k at a rough guess. The decision makers at the club will have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if spending that amount of money will be worth it if he can only play half a season. If they make that call, I will support it.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know I'm in the minority here - he's a decent player and will win POTY for good reason but I was hoping he wouldn't be first choice next season after the rebuild. I think he gets a lot of leeway from our fans because he's a bit of a local lad that the fans can identify with and he gets stuck in which helps.

The numbers are such that giving JFC another year will cost the club $200-250k at a rough guess. The decision makers at the club will have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if spending that amount of money will be worth it if he can only play half a season. If they make that call, I will support it.
    So Taylor had a decent point then?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

So Taylor had a decent point then?
    Taylor refused to play while still under contract. I don't think the two situations are comparable at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    But he could argue he did this because of the risk of injury. Added to that, no point to expect any player at the end of their contract to bust a gut for us.
  • Options
    Gutted for him, hopefully it's not as bad as before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But he could argue he did this because of the risk of injury. Added to that, no point to expect any player at the end of their contract to bust a gut for us.
    Quite right, there's a risk of injury from the first day of pre season training.
    I think all our players should do precisely nothing for the duration of their contracts, because of the risk of injury.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Sure - and that's exactly what Lyle argued at the time. My view on it is that injuries are an occupational hazard that you accept when you sign your contract. Until your contract's up, you play. When your contract's up, it's up to player and club to renegotiate or part ways.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    But imagine you are a player going in for a challenge near the end of the season. You want them thinking they are going to win it not if I go for that and get injured I might not get a club. A few months out becomes a bigger issue as you get nearer the end of your contract. 
  • Options
    That will always happen whether we offer JFC a contract extension here or not. Oh I wasn’t going to go crunching into that tackle but wait a minute I just remembered they gave Jake that contract when he got hurt.
  • Options
    He played knowing his contract was ending.  He took the risk.   We should rehabilitate him but not pay him.  I'm sorry both sides knew the dangers of running down the contract.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't get what bit of this people don't get.  You don't just need 1st choices!

If he hadn't been injured in 18/19 he would have still played over 30 games.  Despite being not 1st choice.  He would have been behind Cullen and Beilek.  So were Lapslie and Reeves.  Guess what those 2 played over 40 games between them!

You need at least 6 center mids.  You aren't getting 5 better than JFC, not in league 1. 

This is a league 1 rebuild.  We aren't buying the man city team.

Plus what's 200k when your talking about 10s of millions of quid? 
  • Options
    Is JFC a Championship player? As good as he’s been this season I don’t believe he is.
  • Options
    That will always happen whether we offer JFC a contract extension here or not. Oh I wasn’t going to go crunching into that tackle but wait a minute I just remembered they gave Jake that contract when he got hurt.
    Of course that would cross some players' minds. Not in the way you express it, but before a game they may say to themselves, I'll go for 50/50s but not 40/60s because if the worst happened I know the club won't support me and I'll be buggered. What players will think is part of management and if they know you are a club that does right by its players it will be of benefit in the long run.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't get what bit of this people don't get.  You don't just need 1st choices!

If he hadn't been injured in 18/19 he would have still played over 30 games.  Despite being not 1st choice.  He would have been behind Cullen and Beilek.  So were Lapslie and Reeves.  Guess what those 2 played over 40 games between them!

You need at least 6 center mids.  You aren't getting 5 better than JFC, not in league 1. 

This is a league 1 rebuild.  We aren't buying the man city team.

Plus what's 200k when your talking about 10s of millions of quid? 
    No we definitely do need more than just a first XI but if he's going to be injured / back-up when healthy, that's an expensive wage to carry.

It's because we aren't buying the Man City team that we need to be careful. We can't spent 5k per week on six midfielders after spending 48k p/w (wage cap) total for the duration of the prior season. Wage cap won't exist for next year but I'm sure we won't let the wage bill explode. Spending 40-50% of the budget on six players that all play the same position would be madness.