Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

70 Plus Games And Counting..... (Ed: actually 38)

No sorry, this is not a thread about the over 70's getting jabs or being able to go to games.

Its been brought up in comments on other threads, but i really think Lee and the team need to lay this monkey on their back to rest.

The last time we won a game, so i'm told where we conceded the first goal was Wembley 2019 v Sunderland, not sure exactly how many games that was , feel free to bring us up to speed.

I don't know if Lee, Johnnie et al know this stat, but i'm sure if they didn't , it would shock them, and how do they get the players to overcome this stat, is it a mental thing?

I know people will say , just get rid of Lee and everyone and start again, but is this stat a normal thing in football/ sport, or is it to be expected, given what we've been through as a club. and almost gone bust to boot.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021

• Options
    Cheers Shirty, if 38 games is the right number, then i hope we don't get to over 70 games!!
  • Options
    70 plus games surely must be including games in the Championship?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Cheers Shirty, if 38 games is the right number, then i hope we don't get to over 70 games!!
    38 is the right number. That’s the number of times we have gone and conceded the first goal of the game, then failed to win 
  • Options
    Suspect the play off game was 70 games ago
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Christ - we have conceded first in 38 games out of 70? If so , that is absolutely disgraceful. 
  • Options
    ricky_otto said :
    Christ - we have conceded first in 38 games out of 70? If so , that is absolutely disgraceful. 
    It's not necessarily disgraceful to concede first to some teams in the Championship who were clearly better than we were.

The problem is when we concede first to teams like Burton, Rochdale, Swindon, etc ..... and don't have the nous to overcome them.
    Every other bleddy team in the division seems to be able to do so.

• Options
    It's a fraction over half the matches. That's very, very average. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    What if you take out the nil- nils?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    What if you take out the nil- nils?
    Of which I believe there were 3 - so 38 our of 67 which equates to 57% with two thirds of those games taking place in the Championship
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    To be fair in that time we have gone 2-1 down, despite scoring first, and come back to win.

It's rarer than you would think, especially if you watch soccer Saturday/special.  All 5 games in league 1 were won by the team that scored first on Tuesday night. Even the 2 that went to 1 all. 

It's even more worrying though when you compare it to the number of times we have scored first and lost! 
  • Options
    We've always shit at coming from behind to win.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I've only been banging on about this for the past 6 months or so. 

Yes, @Cafc43v3r lots of teams go ahead & win (mostly our opponents 😂) but every week on Soccer Saturday you see teams fall behind & then come back to win. I've noticed most teams in our League have done it this season but we've not done it for a season & a half. 

As a pp has said - we have a very good record of scoring first & not losing so it doesn't take a genius to work out that if we played our best players from the start, attacked from the get go, then we would be in a much better position than we are in now.

Football is really simple sometimes.

PS. I'm really glad someone has finally picked up on this......and has the actuall number. I thought it was 37 after tuesday......not happy to be wrong for once 🙃.
  • Options

Yes, @Cafc43v3r lots of teams go ahead & win (mostly our opponents 😂) but every week on Soccer Saturday you see teams fall behind & then come back to win. I've noticed most teams in our League have done it this season but we've not done it for a season & a half. 

As a pp has said - we have a very good record of scoring first & not losing so it doesn't take a genius to work out that if we played our best players from the start, attacked from the get go, then we would be in a much better position than we are in now.

PS. I'm really glad someone has finally picked up on this......and has the actuall number. I thought it was 37 after tuesday......not happy to be wrong for once 🙃.
    Have you?

You should have made your concerns known to a wider audience ...

😉
  • Options

We might not have won having conceded the first goal in 38 matches but we have won from behind in that time - Wimbledon for a start - so surely that is more the relevant stat? It is, after all, about coming from behind at any time isn't it?
  • Options
    Maybe the answer is when we go a goal down make sure its an own goal?
    So how many games is it since the other team scored the first goal and we won :wink:
  • Options

We might not have won having conceded the first goal in 38 matches but we have won from behind in that time - Wimbledon for a start - so surely that is more the relevant stat? It is, after all, about coming from behind at any time isn't it?
    No the stat is going one down and then fail it to win the game. Yes Wimbledon and Bristol City are games where we won after going 2-1 down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There are about 50 games a week on Soccer Saturday, it happens about once or twice a week.  So marginally above 1 in 38.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

There are about 50 games a week on Soccer Saturday, it happens about once or twice a week.  So marginally above 1 in 38.
    Sorry, buts it more than that. Can't tell you off the top of my head but I would reckon at least half a dozen times. I'll try to take note on Saturday (as I won't be watching us toil against Rochdale) & will report back. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

No the stat is going one down and then fail it to win the game. Yes Wimbledon and Bristol City are games where we won after going 2-1 down. 
    I am aware of the stat but surely it is more about an ability to come from behind in which case, as you say, we've done it twice in that time.
  • Options

I would say it's more relevant that we don't come back from conceding the first goal because it means that once a team scores against us (and this season it's often before half time - usually within the first 30 mins) then they know they are safe. More importantly I think that now the players know it too  !!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I am aware of the stat but surely it is more about an ability to come from behind in which case, as you say, we've done it twice in that time.
    Then it begs the question then why has it been over 18 months then since going one nil down. Is it a confidence thing?

No offence to the likes of Burton, Swindon and Rochdale but we are better than that 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

And I believe they are the only 2 since the play off final. So 2 in 72. We have managed to grab a number of draws from losing positions (last season notably away against WBA & QPR) and this season against Gilligham, Rochdale & Swindon from what I can recall. So probably no more than 6 in 72. 
  • Options
    Last night (just concerning the top 4 English divisions) Brentford won after going 1-0 down

On Tuesday though, Sheffield United, Wolves, Palace and Forest all did it
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Last night (just concerning the top 4 English divisions) Brentford won after going 1-0 down

On Tuesday though, Sheffield United, Wolves, Palace and Forest all did it
    On Saturday there were 29 games across the EFL.  9 draws.  Of the other 20 games the team that scored 1st won in 18 of them. Of the 2 games one of them was a 92nd minute winner.