Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Free agents ?

Comments

• Red_Raver said:
    Scoham said:
    Yes, Gallen just said he wanted one more. They were working on it yesterday but it didn’t happen in the end.
    'Still a bit left in the kitty' says Gallen. Interesting...
    Let’s hope we don’t screw the pooch.
  • mart77 said:
    We desperately need a mobile tackling centre mid
    We can't sign another CM, we already have 46 of them. Not sure why we signed Smith, we need another winger and CB more urgently. 
    I’m not saying you’re wrong about how many CM’s we have but way too many are the same ‘type’. We have never replaced Cullen in any shape or form. There is no mobility and drive in that midfield. Pratley and Watson will only be fully effective with someone around them who is mobile and not afraid to tackle. When I saw the Bournemouth lad who signed on loan at Wycombe, he looked similar to what we need. I agree we should have got a CB too but at least in Akin and Inniss we knew we had some in the team who would be back soon enough. I can’t see an energetic, mobile, tackling cm anywhere unless one is hidden in the academy. 
  • mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    We can't sign another CM, we already have 46 of them. Not sure why we signed Smith, we need another winger and CB more urgently. 
    I’m not saying you’re wrong about how many CM’s we have but way too many are the same ‘type’. We have never replaced Cullen in any shape or form. There is no mobility and drive in that midfield. Pratley and Watson will only be fully effective with someone around them who is mobile and not afraid to tackle. When I saw the Bournemouth lad who signed on loan at Wycombe, he looked similar to what we need. I agree we should have got a CB too but at least in Akin and Inniss we knew we had some in the team who would be back soon enough. I can’t see an energetic, mobile, tackling cm anywhere unless one is hidden in the academy. 
    I don't disagree but it's difficult, particularly with the cap. If we needed that type of CM, we shouldn't have signed the players we have. 
  • mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    We havent replaced Cullen or the Aribo/Gallagher box-to box role which basically means the diamond cant work (even if Bow reckons he can turn smith into a box-to box player). Not sure that Bow really likes any other formation though.
  • mart77 said:
    Just because we have a lot of something doesn’t mean we don’t need one. Let’s be honest we only have 2 fit CBs one of which wasn’t get of played one is club captain not getting played still not signed one as bows knows when innis famewo are fit more than happy with what he has. Our CMs we have Morgan who I rate but isn’t a tackler JFC who has done well but looking tired shinnie more creative type as is smith then ur left with Watson and pratley which for me are the thought tackling break up play types but both are somewhat a year or two past there best at least and therefore I think if a tough tackling slightly quicker CM was available free we would and should jump at the chance 
  • We could sign another dozen or so midfielders and Bowyer would still start Watson. 
  • We could sign another dozen or so midfielders and Bowyer would still start Watson. 
    Get what you are saying but he didn’t start him yesterday. But I do know that had albie given that ball away by being casual on edge of own box he Wud of slaughtered him publicly but seems to of ignored it as its Watson.
  • Pedro45 said:
    We don't have any money left in the salary cap to afford any free agents, so pretty pointless checking the lists....
     A classic Charlton life example of someone coming on and claiming to be the all knowing authority when really they know f**k all!

:-)

My turn to be bullied now is it?  OK, I was wrong. 

I did correct myself having listened to Gallen on this thread...

@stoneroses19 said 

"Transfer fee isn’t the issue, it’s the wages we can’t pay. Presuming after yesterday’s change around we’re back to £500 spare."

But you don't dig him out?

• Sponsored links:

Get what you are saying but he didn’t start him yesterday. But I do know that had albie given that ball away by being casual on edge of own box he Wud of slaughtered him publicly but seems to of ignored it as its Watson.
    Are you saying that Bowyer should castigated players in public? Good lad!
  • Michael Mancienne (33, left New England Revolution on 1st Jan)
    Training with Lincoln apparently
  • mart77 said:
    Just because we have a lot of something doesn’t mean we don’t need one. Let’s be honest we only have 2 fit CBs one of which wasn’t get of played one is club captain not getting played still not signed one as bows knows when innis famewo are fit more than happy with what he has. Our CMs we have Morgan who I rate but isn’t a tackler JFC who has done well but looking tired shinnie more creative type as is smith then ur left with Watson and pratley which for me are the thought tackling break up play types but both are somewhat a year or two past there best at least and therefore I think if a tough tackling slightly quicker CM was available free we would and should jump at the chance 
    I never said we don't. But operating under a salary cap signing another CM would be reckless.
  • mart77 said:
    I never said we don't. But operating under a salary cap signing another CM would be reckless.
    Why? Gallen has said we have a little bit left so we are within the cap so why not use it if it could end up being difference from 7th to 6th. Rather than just leave as is cos we have some CMs but not one real ball winning CM under the age of 34. 
  • Mancienne is training with Lincoln and I’ve seen a few tweets linking him with Derby. He must be on our radar. 
  • we've got enough in the kitty for 1 more player.............as long as they are willing to accept £47.50 pw 
  • mart77 said:
    Why? Gallen has said we have a little bit left so we are within the cap so why not use it if it could end up being difference from 7th to 6th. Rather than just leave as is cos we have some CMs but not one real ball winning CM under the age of 34. 
    Because I prefer a balanced squad. We have CB's out injured and only two wide men. We have 7/8 CMs. If that's the type of CM Bowyer wanted he should have got one instead of those he did sign. 
  • Michael Mancienne (33, left New England Revolution on 1st Jan)
    One goal in 350 games. No thanks

ues, that was attempted humour 
    He didn't yesterday.

• Sponsored links:

• Can’t believe the nonsense on this thread. 

As if any Charlton manager over the previous two windows and injuries to CBs could have put a balanced squad together. We were lucky to get half decent bodies to make the numbers up. 

As if any Charlton manager over the previous two windows and injuries to CBs could have put a balanced squad together. We were lucky to get half decent bodies to make the numbers up. 

That’s the trouble - they didn’t have any legs.

If your whole plan falls to pieces because an on loan player who has never played more than 10 games in a season before and a 25 year old who has never played more than 22 games in a season both get injured you might want to question your plan at the earliest opportunity.

Or just sign another midfielder. 
  • Bows has said in his latest press conference that we ar elooking to turn 2 of our loans into permanents. My guess would be Shinnie and Famewo. Fingers crossed as Akin on a perm would be huge.
    Can only be Stockley/Shinnie or Famewo. Would be brilliant if it was Famewo.
  • Bows has said in his latest press conference that we ar elooking to turn 2 of our loans into permanents. My guess would be Shinnie and Famewo. Fingers crossed as Akin on a perm would be huge.
    Absolutely can't see us keeping Famewo on a permanent. We had to renegotiate the loan to keep him nevermind buy him and I'm sure we'd have to pay pretty big money to Norwich to buy him, which just isnt possible in the cap right now. Think the two will be Shinnie and Stockley.
    It'll be interesting to see how they manage this under the wage cap.

• I presume that means we won’t look at a free agent. If we sign Shinnie permanently that will surely take up the rest of the wages. Makes sense as we can then include the other 5 loans in a match day squad. 
  • It makes a big difference if we can get one of them to sign permanently, as I hate being in a situation where we have to leave out loan players because we have too many
  • edited February 2021
    I presume that means we won’t look at a free agent. If we sign Shinnie permanently that will surely take up the rest of the wages. Makes sense as we can then include the other 5 loans in a match day squad. 
    Whilst I don't think Shinnie is cheap for League 1, I doubt he's that expensive either. He was in League 1 last season remember. Expect maybe 3-5k a week.

Also you *might* be able to work around the rules a bit, paying Luton a lump sum where x amount goes as a severance package from them to Shinnie? 

Maddison I assume was on maybe £4k a week so if we assume we got Bolton to pay 50% that's £2k a week back towards the cap.

If we can get Famewo too that'd be some unreal business and I'd be excited for the close season for sure to see who/what we can build around our team.