Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do we do better without the ball?

I checked our possession statistics for this season. I ignored those games in which possession was fairly even; I defined this to be a gap of less than 10%, ie I ignored anything closer than 55:45 either way. That left 18 out of our 25 league games. Of these we had more possession in 10 games and less in the other 8. Then, comparing the average points earned in each category produced the following outcome:

More possession: average points per game = 1.3

Less possession: average points per game = 2.25

Extrapolating to a complete season of 46 games:

More possession: 60 points

Less possession: 104 points

Obviously the importance of possession depends on the team, but these numbers surprised me somewhat.

Comments

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Well we could try tomorrow, have a word with Pompey.  Guaranteed a point!
  • Options
    Good work KHA. The only time I think possession stats could for much is then two evenly matched sides both have a strategy of all out attack. So often when there's a difference in quality, the better team is happy to cede possession knowing that they can bide their time and hit the poorer team on the break.
  • Options
    If you have a lot of possession then the opponents are more likely to be sitting deep and getting numbers behind the ball, making them difficult to break down.

It would be interesting to know which team scored first in those games and how early the goal was. That can change the game and the way both teams play - I would imagine few teams in this league consistently play in a way that means they regularly dominate possession.

That’s also a reason I don’t agree with some of the negative views of our win over MK Dons. They have a very different style compared to most that we’ll come up against, most games won’t play out in the way that did.
  • Options
    Back in the day before all these stats were available there was only one stat - goals scored. The team that scored the most won the game and took the points. When you think about it, goals scored is still the only stat that really matters.
  • Options
    I'm not in the least surprised.
    We've fared better for some time when we have less possession.
  • Options
    We need to address this if we have any hope of getting out of this division imo
  • Options
    Really novel idea, playing games without a ⚽️, could work but then again..........
  • Options
    I have yet to see us score a goal without us having possession of the ball. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So, what you might conclude from this is that there is no direct correlation between % possession and points scored.

Does this dispel another piece of football mythology?

By the way @sillav nitram ... playing football without a ball would be ridiculous.

That would be 'foot'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I’ve been asked about other possible explanations for the much greater success we’ve had with less possession than the mere fact of less possession itself. In other words, perhaps there is another factor which is the underlying cause of both the greater success and less possession.

First @addick1956 asks about matches when we had less possession and none of Inniss, Famewo or Oshilaja were playing. These were the matches in which we had less possession:

Oxford, H, won 2-0, Inniss and Famewo played

Portsmouth, A, won 2-0, Famewo played

Fleetwood, H, won 3-2, Inniss played

Ipswich, A, won 2-0, none played

MK Dons, H, lost 1-0, none started, Famewo a sub

Bristol Rovers, A, won 1-0, Oshilaja played

Peterboro, A, lost 2-1, Oshilaja played

MK Dons, A, won 1-0, Oshilaja played

I can't see much of a pattern there.

I think that @Scoham could have the answer. He asks about instances of one team scoring first relatively early in a game, this possibly being a strong influence on possession statistics as the team that scores first is likely to have a tendency to get bodies behind the ball to defend that lead, thereby ceding possession. In our games this is exactly what has happened. I looked at matches where one team (either Charlton or the opposition) was ahead at half-time. This happened in 11 of the 18 matches where the final possession statistics were unequal (ie a gap greater than 55:45). In all 11 such matches the team leading at half-time ended up with less possession. It therefore seems that having less possession is not the cause of a likely favourable outcome; rather that scoring first is the cause of having less possession and also (not surprisingly) of a likely favourable outcome to the match.

You might say “I could have told you that”. If so, my apologies for wasting your time.

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    So, what you might conclude from this is that there is no direct correlation between % possession and points scored.

By the way @sillav nitram ... playing football without a ball would be ridiculous.

That would be 'foot'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vTlrQi30A
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dave Rudd said:

That would be 'foot'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vTlrQi30A

Is that Maddison v Williams?
  • Options
    thing is a team needs possession of the ball to score goals ..
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    When we've had more possession it's because we've fked about with the ball at the back for long periods and the players ain't good enough in possession and make mistakes which leads to other teams goals.

Its league 1, the balls more dangerous in the other teams half, get it there quick. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I saw Sunderland do it :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Of the 9 league 1 games played yesterday there were no nil nils. 

3 draws and 6 wins.  Of those 6 wins the team that scored 1st won all of them.  So no one scored 1st and lost. 

Only 2 of them had significantly more of the ball.  No prize for guessing it was MK Dons (63%) and Oxford (64%). 

The other 4 games were won with 41%, 49%, 30% and 42%.  Of those 6 games the team with the highest % of the ball lost 1-0 at home. 

I think I am right that in our 25 games the team that scored first has only lost once and the team that is winning at half time have lost twice? 

Another random thought is we seem to concede far more goals as a direct result of giving the ball away than we score. Which I think is strange as we have better players than a lot of the other teams. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Of the 9 league 1 games played yesterday there were no nil nils. 

3 draws and 6 wins.  Of those 6 wins the team that scored 1st won all of them.  So no one scored 1st and lost. 

Only 2 of them had significantly more of the ball.  No prize for guessing it was MK Dons (63%) and Oxford (64%). 

The other 4 games were won with 41%, 49%, 30% and 42%.  Of those 6 games the team with the highest % of the ball lost 1-0 at home. 

I think I am right that in our 25 games the team that scored first has only lost once and the team that is winning at half time have lost twice? 

Another random thought is we seem to concede far more goals as a direct result of giving the ball away than we score. Which I think is strange as we have better players than a lot of the other teams. 

Interesting. My current theory is that the team ahead at half time ends up with less possession as they become more defence minded. Of the two matches yesterday that you cite (MK Dons and Oxford), MK Dons don't fit as the scores were level at half time and so MK still had attacking work to do to get three points; Oxford do fit, but they can be regarded as exceptional in that their opponents played virtually the whole match with ten men, thereby reducing the need/motivation for Oxford to concentrate on defence.
  • Options
    A suggestion:

Not all possession is useful.  Possession just for the sake of it may not be worth much.  So ... are there different aspects of possession?

Liverpool's second goal today (it was a stunner) featured very little possession.  Compare that to our pre-Christmas period where Pratley and Gunter pinged it across the back for about an hour per game ... but to no effect.

We have previously established (I hope) that not all goals are equal.  And, while we would all agree that it is difficult to score a goal without the ball, is there 'effective' possession ... and 'neutral' possession?

I don't know who first dreamed up the idea of having a 'possession' stat, but they have a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I miss the days when Sunderland would kindly score 3 goals for us in a game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are all of our players better when they’re not on the pitch than when they are