Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Humbuckers, single coil or P90s?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    By accident I have become a guitar collector, as well as a player, so I've got the lot! I only just recently got a guitar equipped with P90s and, due to Covid and the absence of gigs, I've not had a chance to really get to grips with the sound.

I personally prefer humbuckers but it is all down to personal preference and the type of music you play.

I am not convinced that spending a lot on pickups is a wise move - I would always advise fiddling with the tone of your amp first, or adjusting the pedals you use.
    What's in your collection?
    I've got a couple of Gibsons (SG and Les Paul) and I just sold a Fender Stratocaster to @Greenie, so I'm down to just the one Strat, a 1989 Plus. I'm a big fan of the Vintage brand, so I have a few of those including a Flying V and a 335 alike - they're great value for money in my opinion. Plus a few others - to be honest I'm never sure of exact numbers as they're never all in the same room at the same time.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Saga Lout said:
    By accident I have become a guitar collector, as well as a player, so I've got the lot! I only just recently got a guitar equipped with P90s and, due to Covid and the absence of gigs, I've not had a chance to really get to grips with the sound.

I personally prefer humbuckers but it is all down to personal preference and the type of music you play.

I am not convinced that spending a lot on pickups is a wise move - I would always advise fiddling with the tone of your amp first, or adjusting the pedals you use.
    A good pick up though, gives you a head start in amplifying true to the instrument sound and tone quality. 

But then I play electro-acoustic instruments, rather than pure electric .... so no doubt you loud & proud lads have got a different agenda. :smile:

Yes, but I hear about people swapping out really good pickups to replace them with overpriced, overhyped "boutique" pickups, which I doubt many people would be able to tell is different to what was already there. Obviously, if you've just forked out hundreds of quid, you will convince yourself that they're the best but I wonder if anybody listening to you would know.