Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Expectations for this season

I've been very negative about Bowyer & Charlton recently so I've tried to be more positive today. I actually think we did ok. On another day we score 5 or 6 & when our 2 first choice centre backs are available I think we'll be much better, as long as they stay fit.

What I absolutely don't accept Is this mentality some on here have adopted that this season is gone, we'll finish mid table & that's fine, so forget about it & look forward to next season.

NO, it is absolutely not fine.  Anything outside of the top 6 with the squad Bowyer has put together would be a disaster & he must be held accountable for that, regardless of what he has done before

Comments

• Options
    I've been very negative anout Bowyer & Charlton recently so I've tried to be more positive today. I actually think we did ok. On another day we score 5 or 6 & when our 2 first choice centre backs are available I think we'll be much better, as long as they stay fit.

What I absolutely don't accept Is this mentality some on here have adopted that this season is gone, we'll finish mid table & that's fine, so forget about it & look forward to next season.

NO, it is absolutely not fine.  Anything outside of the top 6 with the squad Bowyer has put together would be a disaster & he must be held accountable for that, regardless of what he has done before
    Ultimately down to TS - what are his expectations?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I've been very negative anout Bowyer & Charlton recently so I've tried to be more positive today. I actually think we did ok. On another day we score 5 or 6 & when our 2 first choice centre backs are available I think we'll be much better, as long as they stay fit.

Far from a disaster, as Curbs said on VP, the Play-Offs would be a good result for this season.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    We will make the play offs, long way to go and we’ve got everyone to play 
  • Options
    Yup 
  • Options
    Honestly feel some fresh ideas are the only way to turn this season around.

Innis and Famewo back will be a huge boost but there's no guarantee they'll stay fit 
  • Options
    I expect us not to give teams like Accrington, Swindon and rochdale two goal head starts.
  • Options
    I agree, but some seem to think it's ok if we dont & I totally disagree with that.  That's my point 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are too many scenarios and combinations of results ahead.  So it's impossible to say how it will finish.  Will we make it to third?  Is sixth the height of our ambition?  How many games will we have to throw to ensure that, we don't just finish in the play-offs, but in the right spot, in the play-offs.  

Teams will have runs of form, both positive and negative.  So, Lee Bowyer has to pace the squad so that it meets its objective, which is crystal clear.  

The point is, we don't know right now where we will finish this season.  More importantly, we don't know where we intend to finish this season.  Because there are games that our outside out control that will determine what our finishing place needs to be.  

After all, we still don't know where Sunderland are going to finish.  And, until we do, we can't know what the right finishing place is to give us a chance of playing them in the final.  That has to be the ambition this season. 
  • Options
    At the start of the season i was simply hoping our club would be saved.
    Then when TS came in, i was expecting play offs at a minimum.
    Now i'm simply hoping that we get a decent centre back fit soon before it's too late.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Raymondao expects a better quality stream
    Oh god, don't get him started on this thread an'all.
  • Options
    Play offs with this squad. 

I know it was all last minute but our players are way better than most other teams in this awful division and the only reason we are way off play offs on a PPG basis so far is because of the crap tactics, daft substitutions and destructive calling out of our players imo.

TS is not the richest man on the planet and I do worry what happens if we are not promoted this year or next.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I take the view that TS was hoping top two, accepting a play-off and Wembley win, then push on in the championship with a hand held out to other investors to share the financial burden. He's now finding out that even with a healthy spend success is is very much 'if' not 'when'.

If he thinks for one minute Bowyer cannot achieve his goals / targets, then TS is already scouting for his replacement.

• Options
    Playoffs is a minimum. We haven't brought in players to consolidate this season, or build for next season, not when you sign "big names for L1" like Watson, Gunter and Maddison and have 6 loan players
  • Options
    Top six expectation once Sandgaard bought us and top six now. It is still a squad that was scrambled together and lacks quality down the spine in terms of keeper, central defenders and central midfield. 
  • Options
    Thomas Sandgaard is expecting Charlton Athletic to reach the League One play-offs as a “worst-case scenario”

South London press 1 October 2020.

The signings, and salaries, of Watson, Gunter, Maddison et al can only add to the pressure on Bowyer. 

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that as a fan either.  I still honestly think we can achieve that.  But if a manager can't beat the teams in the bottom quarter of the table because he is missing 2 players you have to ask questions. 
  • Options
    The most memorable seasons are of course the promotions. But would a promotion this season bring similar memories when we haven’t been able to be there? No it won’t in my mind. 
    So 7th this year would be good and a promotion in the next season when full crowds are allowed would do me. 
  • Options
    If we don’t go up this year , due the salary cap we will have major issues being competitive next season... 

but unfortunately I just don’t think we’ve got it in us ... I think the next few years are going to be rough ... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mascot88 said:
    If we don’t go up this year , due the salary cap we will have major issues being competitive next season... 

but unfortunately I just don’t think we’ve got it in us ... I think the next few years are going to be rough ... 
    Would say tough rather than rough

Its not we shouldnt be happy with just having a club but the last decade has been rough with the club... Dont see the next few years being anywhere as bad in terms of supporting the club
  • Options
    We are going nowhere this season and that is certain in my mind.

Fresh ideas?  Not sure Bowyer has those, I know he is a relatively new coach and deserves our patience but what he is up to, mine is wearing paper thin.

The rules make it much harder next season peeps, reckon we have blown this one.
  • Options
    Play offs is the minimum expectation and I think Bows will just about deliver that. After that, it’s a lottery!
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that the playoffs should be the minimum expectation.
    But unfortunately I don't think we will reach them.
    The last 14 games have not been a blip they have completely undone our season imo.
    We currently sit in 6th position with about 20 games to go so I agree reaching the playoffs should still be achievable but unfortunately the way we are playing I can't see us suddenly going on a long winning streak. 
    I am not saying I'm happy to wait until next season before rebuilding and trying for promotion because I'm not  I hate being in this league. 
    But as a supporter of over 55 years I've seen 6 promotions and 7 relegations and this season definitely doesn't feel like apromotion season to me.
  • Options
    The other issue for me is, if we don't go up in the next 2 seasons, does Thomas have the funds to keep bankrolling us?

I think Promotion is crucial for his future plans 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Back in September I was just hoping that we would still had a team to support & to stay in this division if Administration robbed us of 12 points & a firesale of any saleable players.

Once TS I knew we would be safe but the wage cap had scuppered any real chance of bringing any decent players in from higher leagues. But any talk of promotion, even via the play-offs was a bit far fetched. TS's words were just that......words. For the twitterati to consume & fawn over. Bowyer has shown quite a few times that he is stubborn & any player standing up to him will get short shrift. He will only really be liked or "successful" at a club he's played for. I doubt the fans of Doncaster, Fleetwood or Wycombe would be happy with him.  

My expectations haven't changed. A finish around 8th -10th is all that we deserve......and is what we'll get.

• Options
    I have £350 of reasons to need us to finish better than 12th! Not convinced we will achieve that right now.
  • Options
    Back in September I was just hoping that we would still had a team to support & to stay in this division if Administration robbed us of 12 points & a firesale of any saleable players.

Once TS I knew we would be safe but the wage cap had scuppered any real chance of bringing any decent players in from higher leagues. But any talk of promotion, even via the play-offs was a bit far fetched. TS's words were just that......words. For the twitterati to consume & fawn over. Bowyer has shown quite a few times that he is stubborn & any player standing up to him will get short shrift. He will only really be liked or "successful" at a club he's played for. I doubt the fans of Doncaster, Fleetwood or Wycombe would be happy with him.  

My expectations haven't changed. A finish around 8th -10th is all that we deserve......and is what we'll get.

I agree, a finish 10th or better was and is a reasonable target at the start of the TS ownership. If we achieve that surely Bowyer has done a good job and we improve in the summer and go again.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:

I agree, a finish 10th or better was and is a reasonable target at the start of the TS ownership. If we achieve that surely Bowyer has done a good job and we improve in the summer and go again.
    It's a dreadful league this year & Thomas Sandgaard has backed Bowyer with a lot of signings since taking over.  I can't see Thomas thinking anything outsider the top 6 is acceptable. 

I honestly don't understand the mentality of a lot of people on here that think finishing 10th in league 1 is acceptable under an ambitious owner. 

Maybe I'm wrong, We'll see.  Good debate though.  Glad I started this thread