Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2007 train attack on charlton fans

Hi all ,

I've just learned that an old acquaintance of mine was involved in this , I’ve not been in touch with him since the very late 90s so didn’t put 2 & 2 together, I knew he was a palace fan but my involvement with him was not football related , surprisingly considering what I know now football never really came up.
I heard of it at the time & saw bits on the news at the time but I’m trying to get more background info on it.

Were any lifers on that train?
Was it pre planned ?
Were they looking for someone specific?
Is there any old threads on it? I searched 2007 train attack on the site search but got zero.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share & appreciate it may be something some don’t want to bring back up.

Comments

• Options
    Was that the one where the Palace fans attacked some of ours yet we got blamed for it on ITV?
  • Options
    14 years? Blimey 
  • Options
    yup I was on that train with my son ... the cowardly bastards were attacking normal fans, many with kids present. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    yup I was on that train with my son ... the cowardly bastards were attacking normal fans, many with kids present. 
    sounds hideous , bloke I knew got over 3 years for it & not really someone I wanted to reach out to for more info about it after so long , I’ve not spoken to him since 99 , absolute arsehole for this.

It was briefly discussed in a podcast I listened to today, he was being interviewed & spoke about it & I couldn’t believe it was him , he’s an absolute lunatic & always was but it’s the mindlessness that confuses me with this & that’s why I wondered if it was something or someone specific that led to it.
  • Options
    Did he come across as remorseful @Spitfire76 ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I remember rightly there was quite a large group of us lifers on the train after this one.
  • Options
    i was on the train after this one i think. heard about the attack from someone i know later that day. he couldn't believe why they were attacking people who had no desire to be involved in that kind of stuff. they just stormed on swinging punches, there was just a few charlton fans mainly trying to protect their kids.

total cowards. 
  • Options
    Did he come across as remorseful @Spitfire76 ?

No m8 not really , just that he realised he needed to grow up while inside. It wasn’t put across properly on the podcast as it wasn’t a football podcast, it was made to sound as if it was a regular football tear up rather than an attack on unsuspecting unwilling innocent fans & that’s what made my ears prick up as I recalled the train story.
    se9addick said:
    stonemuse said:
    sounds hideous , bloke I knew got over 3 years for it & not really someone I wanted to reach out to for more info about it after so long , I’ve not spoken to him since 99 , absolute arsehole for this.

It was briefly discussed in a podcast I listened to today, he was being interviewed & spoke about it & I couldn’t believe it was him , he’s an absolute lunatic & always was but it’s the mindlessness that confuses me with this & that’s why I wondered if it was something or someone specific that led to it.
    He’s not just a lunatic, he’s a coward. 
    Trust me he was a lunatic & prison wasn’t the right place for him an institution would have been more appropriate even back when I knew him , as scary as he was fearless he was a nutter in every sense , very connected & the nature of this attack surprised me. Utter bellend
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    14 years? Blimey 
    They must be about 25 now. Fooking childish behaviour.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I was on this train in the carriage when the doors open. Palace came in mob handed. They hit anyone who looked like they was on there way to football. One kid got proper hurt. We never stood a chance. One of my mates got a proper shiner. That all ran off after about 2 minuets. Some charlton even got taxis to the ground. I really hate palace more than ever.
  • Options
    Was in the carriage behind the one that got 'invaded' and saw it all happen. Had four 19 year old lads with me, two in Charlton kits and two with scarves. We'd been in the Market Porter for about two hours before getting the train from LB and they were all well tanked up and didn't have a clue what was going on.

I was more concerned about them than what could have happened to me. After they ran off the OB turned up and turfed everyone off the train. Told them I could give good descriptions of at least three of them, but they weren't interested.

My boy was gutted he'd missed it all.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Was in the carriage behind the one that got 'invaded' and saw it all happen. Had four 19 year old lads with me, two in Charlton kits and two with scarves. We'd been in the Market Porter for about two hours before getting the train from LB and they were all well tanked up and didn't have a clue what was going on.

I was more concerned about them than what could have happened to me. After they ran off the OB turned up and turfed everyone off the train. Told them I could give good descriptions of at least three of them, but they weren't interested.

My boy was gutted he'd missed it all.

Was in the carriage where it happened, to this day I’m grateful wasn’t wearing our shirt, which at the time was my usual attire. Remember after the police told us we had to leave the station, wandering around outside with my dad trying to find a cab, but no one would take us. Eventually was allowed back in the station and think we got to our seats about 20 minutes after kick off. 
  • Options
    i was on the train after this one i think. heard about the attack from someone i know later that day. he couldn't believe why they were attacking people who had no desire to be involved in that kind of stuff. they just stormed on swinging punches, there was just a few charlton fans mainly trying to protect their kids.

total cowards. 
    From what I’ve made out today there were a lot of people on the train behind that would have seemed a more suitable target is there any possibility that this train was the intended target?
  • Options
    Might sound crazy but I know a lot of good mates who were on the next train( some on this forum) who who would not have taken too kindly if it had kicked off in their carriage.Trouble is although they could handle themselves with the law as it is they could have landed in court without starting the trouble.Palarse Wankers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021

total cowards. 
    From what I’ve made out today there were a lot of people on the train behind that would have seemed a more suitable target is there any possibility that this train was the intended target?
    as Henry above has said i think there might of been an arrangement to meet up but palace never showed.

All that was never my scene though some who i was with on my train would not be best pleased if their carriage was attacked though I don't think any of them were hooligans. 
    So whether they knew about the train behind that i don't know not sure it was a target but they would of known the people they attacked were not high risk charlton fans that's for sure. yet they still did it. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Might sound crazy but I know a lot of good mates who were on the next train( some on this forum) who who would not have taken too kindly if it had kicked off in their carriage.Trouble is although they could handle themselves with the law as it is they could have landed in court without starting the trouble.Palarse Wankers
    more you think about it the more dumb it actually was. there was CCTV on the train. as you say if they had attacked the other train yeah some of our lot would of also been woken up first thing in the morning by the old bill. all completely their fault. 

spitfire your 'acquaintance' might be a lunatic but also what an absolute moron. as was the rest of those with him. 
  • Options
    more you think about it the more dumb it actually was. there was CCTV on the train. as you say if they had attacked the other train yeah some of our lot would of also been woken up first thing in the morning by the old bill. all completely their fault. 

spitfire your 'acquaintance' might be a lunatic but also what an absolute moron. as was the rest of those with him. 
    A moron indeed with a lot to lose at the time which is why the mindlessness confuses me , a moron & lunatic for sure but one with real talent too , award nominations, living the high life & traveling the world & a pioneer in his field.

There is not much he wouldn’t of done to an enemy or even family of an enemy from what I knew of him but this just didn’t make sense but I guess that’s the same with all senseless violence it really is senseless.

Hes recently released a book & there is probably more in there on the incident but I’m sure it’s not told as it was, I would buy a copy but as he technically ripped me off £200 I can’t bring myself to put another penny in his pocket!
  • Options
    Guy sounds like a prick 

I remember that game, they picked the right train for showing themselves to be a sack of cowards 
  • Options

A moron indeed with a lot to lose at the time which is why the mindlessness confuses me , a moron & lunatic for sure but one with real talent too , award nominations, living the high life & traveling the world & a pioneer in his field.

There is not much he wouldn’t of done to an enemy or even family of an enemy from what I knew of him but this just didn’t make sense but I guess that’s the same with all senseless violence it really is senseless.

Hes recently released a book & there is probably more in there on the incident but I’m sure it’s not told as it was, I would buy a copy but as he technically ripped me off £200 I can’t bring myself to put another penny in his pocket!
    If he has released a book that might contain info in his attack, then surely there should be no issue in naming him? We can them provide a review on his book across social media and ensure that those that supprt his pioneering globe trotting lifestyle know who he is and what he does?
    This! 
  • Options
    From the combination of Google and Amazon I suspect that this is him:

Carl Thomas, aged 40, from Thornton Heath, was convicted by a jury and given a 38 month jail sentence.

MC Flux, AKA Carl Rodney Thomas, is a top drum and bass MC, a UK pioneer in this type of dance music. Inspired in his teens by reggae, back in the 90s he became Youth Champion of the Reggae Young Sounds competition. Talent-spotted for top clubs, he was soon the MC of choice for raves such as Innovation, Desire, Dreamscape, World Dance, Innocence and Helter Skelter. He even formed his own clothing company. But Flux has spent plenty of time on the dark side and dicing with the law – he has often been in the front line during violent clashes at soccer matches, and his involvement with drugs led to him serving a prison sentence for false imprisonment and demanding money with menaces. This is his raw, colourful story, written with the help of his close friend Peter Spence, better known in the dance world as Pete Nice. Vivid and explicit, this is not a story for the faint-hearted.