Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Swan RIP

Former England international Peter Swan has died at the age of 84, his old club Sheffield Wednesday have confirmed.

Swan made 301 appearances for the Owls and won 19 caps for England, in a career which was limited by his involvement in a betting ring.

He served four months in prison and missed out on playing in the 1966 World Cup, which England went on to win.

He had initially been banned for life but successfully appealed, allowing him to return to Hillsborough in 1972.

After leaving Wednesday in 1973, Swan played for Bury, Matlock Town and Worksop Town.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55751219

Comments

• Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Owl Swan did bird. 

RIP
  • Options
    Didn’t he used to run a bar and sports club at a sports ground somewhere in Blackheath/Lee area?
    Used to go out with a girl called Carol, who came out of Lewisham.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It was madness for the 3 players to get involved. Swan was ahead of Jackie Charlton for England and Kay had been an England International. I remember reading that the same paper that exposed this also gave Kay the highest marks in their sports page.

I still feel Wimbledon losing 3-2 to a poor Everton team and Hans Seeger having a mare in a game that him and John Fashanu were accused of being involved in a sting was very suspicious.

The only other time was Charlton v Swindon when two players appeared to want to be sent off; and achieved that by HT. 
    The game at the valley on boxing Day when we ended up getting a fantastic 2-2 draw.

RIP Peter Swan.

He lost out on so much because of a crazy decision.
  • Options
    Didn’t he used to run a bar and sports club at a sports ground somewhere in Blackheath/Lee area?
    That was Tony Kay who I’ve played against in a couple of Vets matches, I hasten to add that I was in my late 30s and he was in his 50s. He played left back and was still very tidy.
  • Options
    Didn't remember his name, but remember reading about the betting ring. 4 months jail is one thing, but a lifetime's torment thinking what might have been is something else altogether. What a silly mistake to make.
    RIP
  • Options
    That was Tony Kay who I’ve played against in a couple of Vets matches, I hasten to add that I was in my late 30s and he was in his 50s. He played left back and was still very tidy.
    Ah yes......that’s right.
    He was also involved in it if I’m not mistaken and maybe even did a bit of time for it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, played with him a handful of times for Old Addeys , his legs were fucked but he still was fitter than me,  even though he had  20 odd years on me 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. 

• Options
    Met Peter on a few occasions. He suffered with dementia in his later years, he used to run the Mill Pub  , in Brimmington, Chesterfield, where I now live. Very sad he has passed away, RIP.
  • Options
    Part 1 of a decent BBC drama about it