Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Garland is 50 Today

Happy Birthday to big fat Pete today, absolute legend of a player.

Comments

• Options
    Loved Big Fat Pete! He sits just behind Gazza on my list of all-time favourite footballers that happen to have a similar physique to me.
  • Options
    legend. 

my earliest memory of Charlton is seeing Pete Garland scoring a sensational strike against i think Bolton at the Valley. 

he diden't score many but as a passer he was second to none. 

saw him a couple of years back in a testimonial and he is still capable. Bowyer should sign him up as he's better than Gilbey.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scored an absolute belter from long range in my first ever gave at the Valley. 92 I think it was. The east stand was under construction. We were totally outplayed but won 3-0!

Thought he’d be more than 50 tbf.  Good player. Happy Birthday 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Stone? 
    Yeah he's been on a diet 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Definitely one for the underrated player thread. As others have said a great range of passing and when he did score they were often belters.

One of my favourite players from the early 90s era 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Stone? 
    Ah. Beat me to it!
  • Options
    just looked at his stats. apart from when he was with us he rarely ever played. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Garland_(footballer)
  • Options
    Age catching up with his waist measurement ..he could play though
  • Options
    legend. 

my earliest memory of Charlton is seeing Pete Garland scoring a sensational strike against i think Bolton at the Valley. 

he diden't score many but as a passer he was second to none. 

saw him a couple of years back in a testimonial and he is still capable. Bowyer should sign him up as he's better than Gilbey.
    i found it... what a strike...

https://fb.watch/37TXvgZfcS/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joking aside, surely he would have gone on to have a better career if he'd kept himself in better condition
  • Options
    I thought he was a great player who should have played far more. 
    I remember having a chat with Kevin Keegan about him, in Brunei of all places, when his Newcastle side were top of the league.
    I had a go at him for stealing Robert Lee from us, but joked that we'd got a better player from him in return, in Big Fat Pete 
  • Options
    legend having a laugh plus his palace as already said probably 50 stone LEGEND😂😂
  • Options
    Did he score a screamer at Selhurst Park in the 5-4 match ? 
  • Options
    Played against him a few times. 

Unreal on the ball even up to couple years back. 

Barely gave the ball away, always in space, and still a great touch. 

Effortless. 
  • Options
    Christ knows why this bloke gets so much positive recollection. Not for me 
  • Options
    I thought he was a great player who should have played far more. 
    I remember having a chat with Kevin Keegan about him, in Brunei of all places, when his Newcastle side were top of the league.
    I had a go at him for stealing Robert Lee from us, but joked that we'd got a better player from him in return, in Big Fat Pete 
    Keegan's first signing at the barcodes.
  • Options
    Was only thinking last night, that my first visit to Peterborough (around Xmas 1992) was to see Peter Garland's first goal for the club. 1-1 draw....Tony Philliskirk equalised very shortly after Garland had neatly finished from close range. 
  • Options
    A shot that could remove a player's head.  Always reminded of the forward who played for Dartford, who was one of the most expensive non-league when he went to Millwall.  When he went back to Dartford he was much larger than Peter, but what a shot he had.

Happy birthday Peter.

• Options
    Agree with AFKA. Don't understand people's fascination with BFP. Each to their own....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Wasn't he sent off at The Valley for fighting with Millwall's Alex Rae? He went up in my estimation that day.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Stone? 

I was thinking around the waistline.
  • Options
    Oh fatty fatty
    Fatty fatty fatty fatty
    GAAAAAR.....LANDAH!!!

Happy half a century!
  • Options
    happy birthday to my old next door neighbour 
  • Options
    I think he wasted his talent - could have played higher if he put his mind to it - should have played way more football league games - good skills, passing ability and vision - but clearly overweight, never looked fit, and it seemed like it was all a bit laugh for him

There are so many like him - when I played Sunday League football I played up front with a guy called Peter Coupland - he played for a lot of Kent non league sides - ridiculously good player - he told me Charlton, Gills, Millwall and Palace were all trying to sign him when was a teenager, but he couldn’t be arsed with all the training and discipline, so refused

He would turn up to matches reeking of booze (in fairness the whole team was like that), never warm up, smoke fags watching us warm up, and then walk on to start the game - he would generally score 3 or 4 goals each game - never helped in defence, rarely ran, never went out wide (that was my job he told me) and hung around the box waiting for a chance

We were top of the league, but then when winter came, he stopped turning up - when the weather improved he turned up again - we said thanks, but no thanks, and sent him on his way
  • Options
    Wasn't he sent off at The Valley for fighting with Millwall's Alex Rae? He went up in my estimation that day.

Lee Bowyer who was a similar build to Garland got sent off after being wound up by Alex Rae at the Den. Despite Curbs telling him to keep his cool all week leading up to the game.

Can't remember the Garland/Rae incident but memory is a strange old thing !
  • Options

Lee Bowyer who was a similar build to Garland got sent off after being wound up by Alex Rae at the Den. Despite Curbs telling him to keep his cool all week leading up to the game.

Lee Bowyer definitely was not a similar build to Peter Garland.
  • Options

Lee Bowyer definitely was not a similar build to Peter Garland.
    Three Lee Bowyers maybe!
  • Options
    Thanks all for the birthday wishes 😀
  • Options

In what way was big fat Pete the same build as  Lee Bowyer, the bloke who covered every blade of grass game in game out