Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football kits and colour blindness.

As a colour blind person I’m finding the Liverpool Man U game almost impossible to watch as the only discernible difference between the two kits is the socks unless I’m in close up. Why do they do this?  Man U have away kits in blue or white/snazzy black bits.  Or do they just not do their research?  Not an unusual issue either. There are many forms of colour blindness so it will affect different people in different ways. I’m red/green or so I’m told but shades of red or shade of blue/purple or green/brown are a mystery to me. Any others have this issue?

Comments

• Would it be easier if you made the picture black and white?
  • For those watching in black and white, Liverpool are playing in red.
  • Iirc when we (Ireland) played Wales a few months back they wore a yellow kit instead of their red one for this reason 
  • I’ve never understood why we sing come on you reds when we wear that lovely green shirt. I guess it what makes Charlton special.
  • I'm also Red Green Colourblind and find the Liverpool game really tough to watch.

Although the worst I've seen was Russia Vs Saudi Arabia in the world cup a couple of years back! 
    No.  It’s a brain labelling thing. Generally people with my prescription can “see” different colours in the same way as a normal sighted person but the brain doesn’t know which label to put on it. So I don’t see in black and white which is a common misconception. The problems arise when different colours have similar pigments (like blue and purple, green and brown etc) or similar degrees of “darkness” (like red and grey as per today’s particular issue). 
  • Sorry, meant to quote @ianment rather than @Covered End there.   That’s not colour blindness, just old age!
  • dmjn said:
    Iirc when we (Ireland) played Wales a few months back they wore a yellow kit instead of their red one for this reason 
    Wales/Ireland at rugby was always one of the biggest bummers for colour blind people. Back in the day when rugby kits were plain, one played in red shirts, white shorts and red socks, the other in green shirts, white shorts and green socks.  Virtually impossible to tell the difference. 
  • Ross said:
    Tbf for this match it’s easy to distinguish the 2 teams: the team with the ball is Liverpool, the team without is Man United.
    Or, the team that has been offside about 870 times is Man United! 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's why most of the world cup games were "dark Vs light" when it came to kits, and NBA teams all have a white uniform and a coloured uniform (with the exception of Lakers with a yellow kit and a darker kit)
    No.  It’s a brain labelling thing. Generally people with my prescription can “see” different colours in the same way as a normal sighted person but the brain doesn’t know which label to put on it. So I don’t see in black and white which is a common misconception. The problems arise when different colours have similar pigments (like blue and purple, green and brown etc) or similar degrees of “darkness” (like red and grey as per today’s particular issue). 
    I have learnt something today thanks.
    Do you see the pitch as green always? So any other kits with green just blend in and its all down to tone? 
  • You cater for the masses not the few. The old 80/20 rule
    Do you see the pitch as green always? So any other kits with green just blend in and its all down to tone? 
    Pretty much. The pitch is glorious green. As long as kits are markedly different shades I have no problem. Black, yellow, blue, red etc. Easy peasy.  It’s when they are all in the same shade spectrum that it becomes harder. So although the Man U grey and the Liverpool red are clearly different colours when seen close up and next to each other, at normal viewing there is nothing in shade differential that sets them apart other than the socks. 
  • Only found out recently Matt Holland is colour blind.
  • edited January 2021
    sam3110 said:
    It's why most of the world cup games were "dark Vs light" when it came to kits, and NBA teams all have a white uniform and a coloured uniform (with the exception of Lakers with a yellow kit and a darker kit)
    Although the Lakers do have a white uniform now as their association jersey. Was previously an alternate since 2003.
    Did he look at his shirt at the end of a game and think it was dirty?
  • @Sillybilly did you see the post on the Twitter thread about the glasses for a colourblind guy? Are these something that would be useful for you or is it not really practical? Maybe they only work for certain types of colourblindness?
    Did he look at his shirt at the end of a game and think it was dirty?
    Captain clean shorts - I can see now it was all made up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    For those watching in black and white, Liverpool are playing in red.
    Yes I've got it as well.
    Green/blue & red/brown issues in poor light.
    I also struggle when Newcastle play Sunderland, both in stripes. 
    I can rarely see those numbers or whatever is in the picture of all those coloured dots, in colour blind tests.
  • @Sillybilly did you see the post on the Twitter thread about the glasses for a colourblind guy? Are these something that would be useful for you or is it not really practical? Maybe they only work for certain types of colourblindness?
    Not seen that. Will have a look. Cheers. 
    Yes I've got it as well.
    Green/blue & red/brown issues in poor light.
    I also struggle when Newcastle play Sunderland, both in stripes. 
    Yup. That’s a particular favourite as well. 
    Pretty much. The pitch is glorious green. As long as kits are markedly different shades I have no problem. Black, yellow, blue, red etc. Easy peasy.  It’s when they are all in the same shade spectrum that it becomes harder. So although the Man U grey and the Liverpool red are clearly different colours when seen close up and next to each other, at normal viewing there is nothing in shade differential that sets them apart other than the socks. 

I remember a few years ago there was "that dress picture" that some people seen one colour and some seen another. I think it was down to the dye used or something that tricked the brain. So I looked into the football kits and how many were tested under UV lights etc and majority were but still quite a few manufacturers were not at that time.
    I know this is not colour blind related but found it fascinating.
    Lucky you support us and not Norwich.
    Spurs played in green earlier today. Did you see any of that?
    Not seen that. Will have a look. Cheers. 
    This is it:

• I can make out 7...
    For those watching in black and white the game was just as shit in colour.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    You cater for the masses not the few. The old 80/20 rule
    I am sure you are tongue in cheek Daz. But what does it matter to the 80 what colour the teams are wearing? If they can make it easier for the colourblind, it makes no difference to us...