Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough v Charlton Athletic | Tue 19 Jan | 6.30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 19th January | Kick-Off: 18.30pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Sam Purkiss - Previously officiated our 3-2 home win against Fleetwood Town after taking over from the original appointment of Christopher Pollard. Purkiss has brandished 7 red cards in 18 games so far this season.

Introduction
There are not too many better feelings than winning away from home, keeping a clean sheet, and putting in a performance to match. The win at Bristol Rovers proved to be an important one as all of the top 8 who played picked up points and those around us also won. The players are working hard, and it looks as though we may have just turned a corner, or at least indicating to! As we all know, games now are going to come thick and fast, playing Saturday-Tuesday until the end of the month so we are going to come up against a variety of tests, and this Tuesday is one of the biggest of the season, away at Peterborough United.

Opposition
Manager: Darren Ferguson (49.4% win rate)
Stadium: Weston Homes Stadium
League Position: 5th | Last 6: WDWDLL
Nickname(s): The Posh

Peterborough played Milton Keynes at home on Saturday, winning 3-0, their last line-up was:

Pym
Kent | Mason | Beevers
Ward | Hamilton | Taylor | Butler
Dembélé | Szmodics
Clarke-Harris

Sometimes a manager suits a certain club. Their style of play, philosophy, and culture they aim to create fits like a glove. It could be said that Darren Ferguson and Peterborough United are an example of just that. Having been a manager for only 13 years, this is his third spell in charge, the previous two have resulted in promotions from League Two and League One (twice), the question remains whether they'll be able to repeat that feat again this time round. Incredibly, across the time he has been in charge, they've scored over 500 goals, even last season when it was curtailed after 35 matches they averaged just shy of 2 per game.

When you're talking of goals and Peterborough United, it's only fair to talk about Jonson Clarke-Harris this season. The striker, who signed from Bristol Rovers in the summer, has already got 13 in 20. The same total as what he got in the league in the whole of last season for The Gas. The left footed forward is strong, mobile, good in the air, and can score all different types of goals. Keeping him quiet is going to be a huge challenge for a defence that has only just kept its first clean sheet in 9. But you'd be foolish to think it's just the former Charlton transfer target that we need to keep an eye on...

Dembélé and Szmodics - who play just behind the front man, Dembélé sometimes alongside him - are very good players at this level. The former has 5 goals and 6 assists so far, keeping another old Charlton transfer target, Mo Eisa, out of the team. Dembélé has a diminutive figure, but is very quick and skilful. The Ivorian's contract is up in the summer, and with interest from higher up the pyramid, The Posh may have a fight on their hands to keep the young talent. The latter, Sammie Szmodics, signed from Bristol City in the summer after impressing on loan last season. In a deal worth in excess of £1million, his goal contribution this season has not been great with only 3 goals and 2 assists - 2 of those goals coming at the weekend against Milton Keynes. However, the attacking midfielder has real class and vision to create chances; splitting defences wide open with his passing. Szmodics will often try to find the space between the oppositions midfield and defence, so limiting that space and being compact is something I am sure Bowyer will be looking to do.

Form wise, since the return of the last international break, The Posh have been very hit and miss. Where we've played 12, won 3, drawn 5, and lost 4 - Peterborough have played 8, won 3, drawn 2, and lost 3. They've also had an extended break due to positive coronavirus cases at the club; meaning they had from 16th December to 9th January without a game. Refreshed? You'd think so. That break would not only have helped Ferguson work on specific things they haven't managed to do before, but allow any injured players extra time to recover. It's had its pros and cons, but we will only really know the full effect of it come the end of the season when clubs like Peterborough have even more games to cram into an already packed season!

Charlton Team News
Previously I mentioned that players should stop with what seemed to be a game of 'tag, you're it' with picking up injuries and taking turns to sit on the treatment table. This time, I ask that they now give it a break with who is to be sent off! Charlton are bottom of the fair play table, by a long way... With 5 players sent off already this season and numerous players picking up multiple bookings, if it's not injuries that are hurting us, it's suspensions. Unfortunately, young Albie Morgan, who has been very impressive over the last game and a half, is the latest culprit - but he'll learn from it. The other disappointing thing is Morgan has now lost his place in the team, and with Pratley returning from his own suspension and Shinnie returning to the squad after injury, he'll have a job on his hands to regain that place.

Rejoining Pratley and Shinnie in the squad is Pearce and Famewo. Thankfully, the two centre backs returning will mean more options and more headaches for Bowyer to decide who partners who in central defence and central midfield. Marcus Maddison is doubtful against his former club due to only rejoining training today after a minor ankle injury. Ben Watson is only just behind with a hamstring injury, whilst Ryan Inniss is about 3 weeks away from a return.

In further positive news, the performances of Oshilaja and Forster-Caskey would've delighted Bowyer. Recently stating his disappointment in some players failing to grab their opportunity when it has come, that cannot be said for the man of the match and match winner on Saturday. They're two players who are guaranteed to start on Tuesday, and rightly so. Additionally, Bowyer singled out praise for Williams and Millar, so you would assume he'll start both again as well. More selection headaches for the gaffer would be does he start Aneke for the third game running, and does Schwartz get his first start for the club? Who partners Forster-Caskey in midfield? Is it Pratley to help be compact, limit the space, add a bit of height, and push Forster-Caskey further forward? Or will it be Shinnie to come straight in and replace Morgan, considering they're more similar type players? Who partners Oshilaja in defence? Club captain, Jason Pearce, is likely to be that player if not for his fitness in comparison to Famewo, but for his leadership qualities in what is going to be a very tough away game. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Famewo start, because I would, these previews and predictions are always what I believe Bowyer is likely to do.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Famewo, Shinnie, Smyth, Washington, Bogle

Prediction
Back to winnings ways is always a good feeling. The test now is can we follow it up away at a promotion rival, who on their day, can score a lot of goals themselves. Normally, I would predict a high scoring game for this as it's two teams who create a good number of chances, with players at the top end of the pitch who can hurt you. However, I think it has the potential to be a cagey affair. A positive result sets us up nicely going into a home game against Swindon on Saturday. I think we'll get one. 

Peterborough United 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Schwartz

Comments

• Have to say this is pretty much how I envision the team will be, and I think Bowyer has every right to play this team as well. However I must admit I'm worried with Pratley and Pearce coming back in - Pearce (whose not really had a decent run of games since injury), looks really off the pace to me - and Pratley although perhaps offers that ability to break up play in the middle does not have Albies ability on the ball. And if we can turn those defensive phases into attacking threat I think we could be in for a long night. 
  • mart77 said:
    Nice preview Sage. I think the team will be similar to what you say but I’d prefer to leave Gunter next to Deji or put Famewo straight in. Pearce to me just doesn’t look up to it of late. I’d hope there’s a chance Bows will keep the same defence with Pratley in for Morgan in midfield. Like you I’m hoping that Schwartz and Aneke get a run together up front. 

I’m plumping for a very unlikely 3-2 Charlton win with Aneke, Schwartz and Millar among the goals. 
    It would be brave to keep the same defence, but if Pearce was the choice I think I would because of their front 3.
  • edited January 2021
    Have we really had 5 sendings off? That is shocking.

It's not a bad game for Pratley if the pitch is as bad as people are saying. Some physical presence will be welcome. 

I really hope LB sticks with the 442 and doesn't decide to change it up again. We look comfortable with it and we're finally getting back into form.
  • Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    Nice preview Sage. I think the team will be similar to what you say but I’d prefer to leave Gunter next to Deji or put Famewo straight in. Pearce to me just doesn’t look up to it of late. I’d hope there’s a chance Bows will keep the same defence with Pratley in for Morgan in midfield. Like you I’m hoping that Schwartz and Aneke get a run together up front. 

I’m plumping for a very unlikely 3-2 Charlton win with Aneke, Schwartz and Millar among the goals. 
    It would be brave to keep the same defence, but if Pearce was the choice I think I would because of their front 3.
    Changed my mind. I don’t think I could handle Gunter at centre half again. Sorry 😞 
  • I would not get carried away with the clean sheet, Rovers were dreadful but they still exposed Gunter a few times. It would be perverse to have 3 fit central defenders and not play 2 of them. Famewo and Oshilaja would be best as they are mobile and so are the Posh strikers.
  • happy with that starting line up in the preview 
  • Given the hoal threat from Posh, I would play with one striker first half, with JFC and Pratley in front of the back 4.Millar and Williams on the wings and Shinnie behind the striker.
    Then, if we can win it, bring on a second striker second hslf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember as said in my preview and every preview, the team is the one I would expect to see for the reasons I have given.

I would prefer to see Famewo in defence alongside Oshilaja.

The mobility of those two would handle their front 3 better, but with Famewo being injured and it would be the first game back, it's just not what I see Bowyer going for.

I think Bowyer still trusts Pearce to get it right, especially if he is to go up against Clarke-Harris in a physical battle. Although, I don't like Pearce's physical battles as he is too hands on and gets drawn into areas he is not comfortable in.

It's a tough one but I think the call will be Pearce on Tuesday and Famewo from then on once he's had a few more days training into him.
  • 1-3 loss with Clarke-Harris scoring twice
  • edited January 2021
    Sage said:

Schwartz
    Shame had hoped for Marcus to come and get his revenge for this one

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Maatsen
    Williams - Pratley - F.Caskey - Millar
    Aneke - Washington

0-2 the corner continues to turn.
  • Can’t see anything other than a defeat . 3-0 
  • edited January 2021
    Very good preview. I'm wondering if Bowyer will consider starting Bogle with Schwartz, leaving Chuks as an option off the bench again. Chuks has played a lot of football recently and Bogle did his chances no harm on Saturday.

Edit: i fancy us to get at least a draw and then to beat Swindon on Saturday. The promotion run has started.
  • For me it's not necessarily about the result, but if we can carry on the performances from the last game and a half. If we lost 2-0, but competed and didn't look totally outclassed - then I'd be confident enough that carry on that way we will pick up more points then we lose. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

Schwartz

Amos
    Aneke - Washington

He might make it. But with only rejoining today, and the fact that others are returning too, I just decided it might come too soon for him to be included.

You never know though.
  • 3-1 defeat, but that will be the last defeat before a 10 game unbeaten run - coinciding with injury recoveries and further new player or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• this ones a real test. need a draw at least.
  • Peterborough are top of the home form table.
    Won 7 drew 1 lost 1.
    Anything could happen.
  • Please not Pearce. With the form he is on and the speed and ability of Peterboro's front three, I really don't think we can get a positive result here. Famewo's return could be brilliantly timed.

The key for me in this game, is first goal. If Peterboro get it, I can't see us coming back. However, their defence isn't their strength and if we get the first, I think the game could play into our hands.

We need a professional performance and one to show all that we are in that top 6 to stay. I definitely think the midfield/attack you have chosen there Sage is the one we will see and it is exciting!
  • Southbank said:
    I would not get carried away with the clean sheet, Rovers were dreadful but they still exposed Gunter a few times. It would be perverse to have 3 fit central defenders and not play 2 of them. Famewo and Oshilaja would be best as they are mobile and so are the Posh strikers.
    Is Famewo fit to start? I thought the best we could hope for was bench. If he is then definitely him alongside Oshilaja is our best pairing at CB. If not then it’s Oshilaja with either Gunter, Pratley or Pearce and I would rank them in that order. 
  • se9addick said:
    Southbank said:
    I would not get carried away with the clean sheet, Rovers were dreadful but they still exposed Gunter a few times. It would be perverse to have 3 fit central defenders and not play 2 of them. Famewo and Oshilaja would be best as they are mobile and so are the Posh strikers.
    Is Famewo fit to start? I thought the best we could hope for was bench. If he is then definitely him alongside Oshilaja is our best pairing at CB. If not then it’s Oshilaja with either Gunter, Pratley or Pearce and I would rank them in that order. 
    He came off the bench against MK Dons after his first absense which was that hamstring (?) against Portsmouth - He then started three days later @ Shrewsbury and hasnt been seen since

Be very surprised if he started again straight away seeing he's been absent for even longer this time round
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Please not Pearce. With the form he is on and the speed and ability of Peterboro's front three, I really don't think we can get a positive result here. Famewo's return could be brilliantly timed.

There's a tendency for our defence to drop too deep whenever Pearce plays ..... it's almost like he's afraid he'll be exposed to pace if our defence plays a higher line.

And when we drop deep we invite opponents to camp just outside our box, within shooting range - plus our midfield is also drawn too deep and our forward players become isolated and out of the game. Result: no outlet, our defence under constant pressure until it eventually succumbs.

• Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

Schwartz

Amos
    Aneke - Washington

He might make it. But with only rejoining today, and the fact that others are returning too, I just decided it might come too soon for him to be included.

You never know though.
    Yep agree, I meant the shame was that Maddison got injured and is most likely missing it.
  • Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Please not Pearce. With the form he is on and the speed and ability of Peterboro's front three, I really don't think we can get a positive result here. Famewo's return could be brilliantly timed.

There's a tendency for our defence to drop too deep whenever Pearce plays ..... it's almost like he's afraid he'll be exposed to pace if our defence plays a higher line.

And when we drop deep we invite opponents to camp just outside our box, within shooting range - plus our midfield is also drawn too deep and our forward players become isolated and out of the game. Result: no outlet, our defence under constant pressure until it eventually succumbs.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Pearce has been good for us and a great person to have around the place. Good for the young players and always gives his all.

Unfortunately though, if we are to be serious and be ambitious, whatever league we are in next season, he can’t get a new contract in the summer.

Have huge respect and admiration for him, and wish him all the best, but if we get promoted, and that’s a big if, he’s not good enough for that level. If we don’t win promotion, he’s still too slow and not naturally comfortable on the ball, even for us at this level. That creates unnecessary pressure and means we don’t have the same ability to win the ball higher up the pitch or defensively get dragged around the place. He’s a League One player but not one who by playing regularly will get you promotion anymore. A few years ago, sure. Now, not really the same case.
    Sadly totally agree. 

He's looked totally off the pace in the games he has played this year. Maybe his last injury had just been one too many to come back from. If Famewo is totally fit, he should start on Tuesday. 
  • Maybe he needs a bit more time to get to full speed. I agree that might not be fantastic level, but might be better than what we have from him at the moment and ok for League One.