Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan 2021

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
Fresh from our defensive debacle yet well deserved comeback in mid-week, today we find ourselves gone west ...... at soggy Bristol Rovers, heavy pitch and all.
Rovers boss Paul Tisdale: "It could be an open and exciting game." They can't play Oztumer, who we've lent them., under the terms of the loan agreement.

Lee Bowyer: “The team picks itself. We’re limited with the players we have got at the moment, through suspension, through injuries".
Two 17 year olds, Charlie Barker and Aaron Henry travel to make up the numbers.

I won't bother listing all the injured and missing in action, but nearly everyone else will be in the matchday squad.

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Gunter (C), Oshilaja, Maatsen; Williams, Morgan, Forster-Caskey, Millar; Aneke, Washington

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Barker, Gilbey, Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz

Desperate enough to watch the game live on stream? Just clink the link:
https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass-purchase/welcome-to-valley-pass

The pre-match build up starts at 2.25 ...... Scott Minto returns with the legendary "Steve Brown, he won't let you down".

COME ON YOU ADDICKS!

Comments

• I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for a starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    Would love to see Schwartz start today if we cant have both him and Aneke
  • I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    I have no issues with that as long as they are being fed the ball from midfield. Washington can and has scored goals, Bogle's game is holding the ball up and linking play, if we combine that with midfielders with attacking intent then we'll be fine, the problem is that hasn't really happened so far
  • I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for a starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    I reckon it will be Washington, flanked by Millar and Maatsen
  • wmcf123 said:
    I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for a starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    I hope not. That really didn’t work last week. In that system the central man has to be able to hold the ball up which Washington is not really built for. Better Bogle than Washington in that formation. Omar may not be great but square pegs in square holes etc...
  • wmcf123 said:
    I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for a starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    I hope not. That really didn’t work last week. In that system the central man has to be able to hold the ball up which Washington is not really built for. Better Bogle than Washington in that formation. Omar may not be great but square pegs in square holes etc...
    I hope not too ! 
  • In a way Id be tempted to start Bogle... With Schwartz in now there is even more incentive for him to at least put in the effort as there is even less chance of playing if he fecks up

Only trouble is I wonder if his confidence is just shot to pieces
  • sam3110 said:
    I just hope, after the excitement and attacking quality we saw second half on Tuesday, people have prepared themselves mentally for starting front two of Bogle and Washington today...
    I have no issues with that as long as they are being fed the ball from midfield. Washington can and has scored goals, Bogle's game is holding the ball up and linking play, if we combine that with midfielders with attacking intent then we'll be fine, the problem is that hasn't really happened so far
    I don’t completely disagree with that, Washington has been mostly decent if unspectacular and Bogle has good games as well as the bad ones. Just saying it’s unlikely we’ll be picking up where we left off on Tuesday so hopefully this thread doesn’t go into a spiral of group self loathing when we’re not 3-0 up after 20 minutes. 
  • Pre-match interview with Lee Bowyer Interview with Chuks Aneke
    Build-up to the big game Join Valley Pass Live for the FREE pre-match show on Twitter from 2.25pm this afternoon... #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• In a way Id be tempted to start Bogle... With Schwartz in now there is even more incentive for him to at least put in the effort as there is even less chance of playing if he fecks up

If you start Bogle today, with Schwartz AND Aneke on the bench you are telling him he is coming off at half time come what may. 

It might be the "right thing to do" today but previous choices are starting to impact the here and now. 

At risk of getting lol’d I think Bogle would do well up top with Schwartz.
  • I wonder what Bowyer's surprise 'square peg in a round hole' will be today?

Bogle in attacking midfield, playing the '10' role. :wink:

Actually, I remember when Curbs converted Jason Euell to that role with good effect - and goals!

• n: Amos; Matthews, Gunter (C), Oshilaja, Maatsen; Williams, Morgan, Forster-Caskey, Millar; Aneke, Washington

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Barker, Gilbey, Smyth, Bogle, Schwartz

• Sponsored links:

• That should certainly do the job
  • With the current players at our disposal that's as strong as it gets for me. Happy to see Aneke start again, think it's the right thing to do - Schwartz coming on for him later will be a good swap. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Amos
    Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Maatsen
    Williams Forster-Caskey Morgan Millar
    Washington Aneke

Maynard-Brewer Purrington Barker Henry Smyth Bogle Schwartz

Only other lineup I can see us starting with is Purrington for Maatsen as he's looked jaded in the past couple of games. 

From the match preview thread a couple of days ago
  • 45 minutes for Aneke 
    Followed by
    45 minutes for the Dutch master. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    I wonder what Bowyer's surprise 'square peg in a round hole' will be today?

Bogle in attacking midfield, playing the '10' role. :wink:

Actually, I remember when Curbs converted Jason Euell to that role with good effect - and goals!

Like Chuks, Bogle isn't a natural "number 9" despite what they physically look like.

The big difference is Chuks is a very good League 1 number 9, despite being an even better 10.
  • Happy with the team with what we have available.
  • 45 minutes for Aneke 
    Followed by
    45 minutes for the Dutch master. 
    Maatsen? 
  • Great team! Very happy with that! 

Let's turn this form around boys
  • edited January 2021
    The team that played the second half other than Schwartz. No complaints with that.
  • So same team as last week except the two players who struggled subbed out and a necessary replacement for a suspension. Can’t really argue with that. Probably 442 so good to see some consistency based on the second half of the previous game. Hopefully Albie can show some quality from the start. He and JFC need to have big games in midfield to protect the defensive pairing
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!