Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southend 1975 - Big Match Revisited

If you missed this just now on ITV4 then it is on ITV4+1 (Sky 220) at 11.30

Comments

• Options
    ITV 4 plus 1 is Channel 175 on Virgin Media. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. Scrappy first half, but some great attacking in the second. I suspect that on balance, the play we see nowadays is of a better quality, but the thing that really struck me as a poisitve was the willingness to put a cross in and to have someone in the box to aim at. I'd like to see some of that this afternoon. As well as the football there was some great fishermans' hankie action from both sides. Intersting that even in that state, the pitch at The Valley was praised for being one of the best in the league. Imagine the disgust nowadays, if we had to play on surfaces like that. Finally, what a strange interview at the end. I bet Bob Curtis must have been fuming watching that and seeing his own manager trying to credit his goal to someone else. 
  • Options
    Surprised that the Covered End seemed pretty packed yet I didn’t hear a single chant 
  • Options
    I would have been in The Covered End on the front railings.
    Great days.
  • Options
    Great days.
    I too would have been in the covered end, I said to my lad I'll be easy to pick out in the crowd, long hair, parka and cherry red DM's....
  • Options
    Lovely little treat, to start the day with. 
  • Options
    Great days.
    I too would have been in the covered end, I said to my lad I'll be easy to pick out in the crowd, long hair, parka and cherry red DM's....
    Yeah, I think that describes most of us.
  • Options
    Brian Moore - king of the commentators 

Amused me when described the Derby pitch as the worst in football !!
  • Options
    Just watched this. Good old fashioned 1970s mud. I think I was at that game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised that the Covered End seemed pretty packed yet I didn’t hear a single chant 
    It's the famous acoustics of the stand. The noise in there is like a jumbo jet taking off, apparently, but there is some sort of black hole vortex in the roof which sucks all of the sound off into anther dimension - so much so that if you stand just 10 yards away you can't hear a peep.
  • Options
    This is addictive  

Just been on ITV Hub and found some other episodes. I love watching the games when I do not know the results. 

Our 2-1 defeat at Palace is still available and I saw a Millwall V Portsmouth match where Tony Hazell features for the Lions and Paul Went features for Pompey. I had forgotten that Ian St John managed the South Coast side. 

I have just seen an awful Spurs performance from February 1975 where they lose 3-0 to Leicester. Mike England and Martin Peters play and are clearly on the way out as Terry Neill is trying to break Bill Nicholson's team and they are in deep relegation trouble. Addick interest is Terry Naylor playing in midfield and getting subbed at half time and Don McAllister making his debut at centre back alongside England. 
  • Options
    I've been following them. Haven't watched the latest one yet. Saving that for tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    It's a great series, with some really entertaining games. Other than the Charlton matches, I can't usually remember the score, which adds to the drama.

West Ham seem to feature a lot in 1974/75, with Trevor Brooking gliding majestically over Upton Park's mud heap of a pitch. What a great atmosphere, though, compared to the sterility of their (or, more accurately, the taxpayer's) current gaff. It's good to see teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea struggling and clubs like Derby, Ipswich and QPR playing some good stuff.
  • Options
    There was a regional focus and the episodes we are watching will major on London sides.  I can't recall any of the scores either which makes it all the more entertaining. Watched the FA cup one recently when Stan Bowles had a go at his manager (Dave Sexton) when he was substituted. That was a good one. 

The pitches were really more mud than grass. It reminds us how far pitch technology has come. I recall a 0-0 draw with Cambridge at the Valley (not televised) and the pitch was just mud, no grass on it at all! 
  • Options
    who was Kelly? 

Not a name I’ve come across before
  • Options
    who was Kelly? 

Mike Kelly, signed from Millwall roughly at the same time as Harry Cripps, scored a few goals in our promotion season, his contract was cancelled [sacked] after a stabbing incident in Welling, allegedly.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Great days.
    Same here.
    Remember getting hit square in the face by a Peter Hunt effort in the pre-match warm-up one day. I must have been 8 or 9. 

• Options
    Mike Kelly at the end of his career played for Sheppey United in the Kent league. I used to take match photos for the Local paper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    who was Kelly? 

Mike Kelly, signed from Millwall roughly at the same time as Harry Cripps, scored a few goals in our promotion season, his contract was cancelled [sacked] after a stabbing incident in Welling, allegedly.
    What - he stabbed someone ??
  • Options
    I'm sure Mike Kelly got the equaliser at Brighton on the 70's with the most waterlogged pitch I've ever seen in my life.
    Can anyone confirm or maybe I imagined it! 
  • Options
    I think he did. The ball floated over the line. We were sat at that end.
    I always remember the following programmes with captain David Young on the front cover, with a clenched fist, taken in the Brighton game.

I think Kelly who played 10 games for us and scored 3, was stabbed, but I may be wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If you think our defending has bad of late, you should have been around in the 80’s. Anyone remember this match ...

https://youtu.be/bzAtO00pVGQ

A couple of familiar faces in the Wednesday team but the state of that pitch. 
  • Options
    I think he did. The ball floated over the line. We were sat at that end.
    I always remember the following programmes with captain David Young on the front cover, with a clenched fist, taken in the Brighton game.

I think Kelly who played 10 games for us and scored 3, was stabbed, but I may be wrong.
    Thanks CE... Glad it wasn't a dream but I was only 10 but it was a great game. 
  • Options
    I'm sure Mike Kelly got the equaliser at Brighton on the 70's with the most waterlogged pitch I've ever seen in my life.
    Can anyone confirm or maybe I imagined it! 
    My first away match outside of London. 

Yes Kelly equalised in the second half far post header which bounced and then rolled ever so slowly over the line. Away fans in raptures.

Brighton rang ragged in the park after the game as viewed from the window of 6 or 7 Lewis coaches parked conveniently outside the away end. A great day and as I have said on a previous thread the first time I heard goodbye horse sung.

Think Kelly was stabbed in the stomach outside the Nags Head. He was a real physical presence in our midfield and a big miss, along with Bowman who also left, under ahem, a cloud. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    who was Kelly? 

You can take the boy out of Millwall............
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    If you think our defending has bad of late, you should have been around in the 80’s. Anyone remember this match ...

https://youtu.be/bzAtO00pVGQ

A couple of familiar faces in the Wednesday team but the state of that pitch. 
    I've got that on a VHS tape somewhere. Nicky Johns played a blinder that day too , even though he let in four.
  • Options
    Yes I was at Wednesday that day. Didn't Hales miss 3 great chances in the first half with Alan Parry remarking "well Hales is smiling now but I'm not sure he will be at half time when Lennie Lawrence speaks to him".

The things you remember eh.