Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Americas Cup (yachting)

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Italian boat Lunar Rosa whitewashed the American entry 4-0 in the best of 7 races.  The final of the Prada Cup - the winner to race Team UK - has been described as “mouthwatering”.  The Lunar Rossa v Team UK races start on February 13th.
  • Options
    Rebuilt American boat not even in it this weekend. Not surprising, but made this weekend a non event. Italian boat seems to have improved a bit from previous but difficult to tell when they had no competition. Be interesting to see if UK have made any improvements before the final. Should be a good final.
  • Options
    Uk boat limited on what modifications they can make as used up their allowed changes apparantly
  • Options
    I watched this yesterday. Not anymore. Looked thrilling to be part of though.
    Glad it’s interesting to some.
  • Options
    The Final is best of 13 races.  What would it take to get you back in front of the telly iainment - 6 all perhaps?
  • Options
    The Final is best of 13 races.  What would it take to get you back in front of the telly iainment - 6 all perhaps?
    I’m in front of the telly way too much anyway. For yacht racing not again. 
    I’d love to go on a racing yacht though.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    When possible get yourself down to either Greenwich, Deptford or Erith yacht clubs for taster day. Even small dinghy racing is good fun.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    When possible get yourself down to either Greenwich, Deptford or Erith yacht clubs for taster day. Even small dinghy racing is good fun.
    I cycle past the Greenwich club most days along the river path and have occasionally wondered if I should try a taster day. I will give it a go when it’s feasible.
  • Options
    Amazing how the UK turned it around from such m=poor results at the beginning
  • Options
    The yachts look awesome but where are the sun loungers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I cycle past the Greenwich club most days along the river path and have occasionally wondered if I should try a taster day. I will give it a go when it’s feasible.
    I went on a smallish dingy when I was at school, my mate who was a keen sailer omitted to mention that you should duck when he tacks otherwise the mast clonks you a tasty one on the bonce. So I was nursing a sore head, whilst being soaking wet, and scared to death at the alarming angles the boat was taking on. NEVER AGAIN!!!! When I buy a boat from the Lottery winnings its a luxury schooner with a motor for me.
  • Options
    Crunch day today, the first race at 4.17pm local time.

Team Uk favour stronger winds, Lunar Rossa prefer lighter winds which it looks like they will get today.  There are two races today and another two tomorrow.

Rule Britannia!
  • Options
    2-0 to Lunar Rossa after the first days racing.  Done like a dogs dinner as one of the commentators said.  We’ll have to hope for stronger winds tomorrow.
  • Options
    Oh, not what I was hoping to read. 
  • Options
    Did look a bit easy for the Italians today, bit worrying. 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Is the Italian boat made by Alfa Romeo?
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Is the Italian boat made by Alfa Romeo?
    Unfortunately, I don't think we can rely on it breaking down.
  • Options
    Make that 0-4.  I think we may be pretty well stuffed.  The Italian boat is more manoeuvrable in the all important pre-start.  Win that and you dictate the early part of the race and perhaps the whole race.  At no time in any of the 4 races were Team UK ahead.  The next races will be on Wednesday.
  • Options
    What has changed since we whipped them in the group stage 
  • Options
    The Wednesday date for the next races has been postponed due to a worrying 3 cases of COVID in the community.  Auckland has just been placed in a semi-lockdown until midnight Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What has changed since we whipped them in the group stage 
    Lunar Rossa made improvements to their boat and their on-board communications are top notch.  Sir Ben Ainslie’ decision making was questionable at times and Team UK were fortunate that they were able to recover at all from a pre-start in race 2 which saw them fall off their foils.  The delay in racing might help Team UK according to the experts.
  • Options
    We’re back on the water today for another couple of races.  This is despite a request (plea) from the organisers to postpone the racing a week to enable Auckland to come out of a semi-lockdown meaning good crowds to watch the yachts - and help out local bars etc who have been missing out of business.  Lunar Rossa quite rightly (in my opinion) said no way, we want to race, and the racing schedule is there for a reason.

They will be racing on a different course, one with shifty winds, and this could help Team UK who have an expert on board to pick the winds.
  • Options
    Yea, a gutsy win in race 2 for the Brits making it 1-1 for the day.  Another 2 races tomorrow.  The first race was a drubbing. Ben Ainslie looking for an aggressive start incurred two penalties and never recovered.

Between races  both skippers were interviewed and I have never seen a more dejected interviewee than Sir Ben Ainslie.  But they recovered and led for most of the next race.  Good omen hopefully for tomorrow but Lunar Rossa only need two wins to take out the Cup.
  • Options
    Being a pessimist I just can't see a big comeback, despite how good Ben Ainslie and the crew are. Italian boat just looks faster across more range and being sailed better. Obviously would love to be wrong. 
  • Options
    Sadly another 0-2 day and both races a comprehensive win to the Italian boat.

Lunar Rossa therefor win the Prada Cup and will challenge for the America’s Cup, the first race on March 6th.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    All that extra practice they had in the run off with USA 
  • Options
    There are suggestions that NZ might take the America’s Cup to Britain next year for a one off challenge by Team UK off the Isle of Wight.  This will ruffle a few feathers in NZ though.
  • Options
    Team Ineos are the challenger on record for the next cup.