Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Jan | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 16th January 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Peter Wright (Merseyside)

Introduction
January was supposed to be a relaxing month they said, only the one midweek game they promised, well just like the last year, COVID turned round and said there was no chance of that happening and so six fixtures turned into eight with this surely being just the start of what'll be a manic couple of months in League One. Tuesday night saw the re-arranged game with Rochdale (initially postponed due to International commitments) visitng South East London, it was a game that can only be described as bonkers, and one that continues to highlight the current deficiencies in both squad selections and squad availability.

This Saturday we travel to the West Country with Bristol Rovers the hosts, with a slightly bizarre twist!!

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers (18th) | Manager: Paul Tisdale
Ground: Memorial Stadium
Previous League Result: Bristol Rovers 2-1 Blackpool

Despite creating a mini cliffhanger I'm afraid to say the slight bizarre twist isnt all that exciting... As mentioned, COVID at times has made a mockery of the fixture list and this particular match up is one of those - Last month should have seen the Pirates visiting South East London on what would surely have been an extremely cold December night, that initial game was of course cancelled due to an outbreak in the travelling squad, meaning the original fixture hasnt even been arranged as yet!!

So basically I should be sitting here talking about the previous game between these two sides and yet I obviously cannot. Instead this Saturday we could be looking at a side who'll be coming into the game in similar fresh circumstances to our opponents from last Friday night, after all Bristol Rovers have played just the two games since the 12th December, a win and a draw keeping our opponents just a point above both the relegation zone and the side we faced on Tuesday night... Of course this season has already seen one Manager walking the plank at the Memorial Stadium, Paul Tisdale though has been brought in and after a sluggish start (which gave just one point in his first three games), have now since lost the one game (on Boxing Day) and will looking to continue their march up the table.

Moving their squad itself and the biggest gap in their team from last season was surely finding someone to replace Jonson Clarke-Harris after his summer departure to Peterborough United (we'll meet him soon enough) - Signed in his place is ex-Addick: Brandon Hanlan who like Joe Pigott appears to have found his place at this level, with six goals this season and current top scorer - The likes of Max Ehmer (Gillingham) and Jack Baldwin (Sunderland) add to the experienced spine of this team. On the other hand one obvious absentee will be Erhun Oztumer, at least you'd hope so if sense has prevailed!!

Charlton Team News
Another match preview, another chance to talk about absentees within the squad... Trevor Kettle as we all know by now is one who doesnt disappoint; Jason Pearce his latest victim in a Charlton shirt, sent off on Tuesday night in the dying minutes of the game so will miss this weekends trip. Lee Bowyer in his press conference this week has admitted that both Charlie Barker and Aaron Henry will travel with the squad, yet it remains to be seen if the former will be drafted straight into the line-up or whether we'll see Chris Gunter deputising in the middle once again.

Further forward and once again there will be hopes that both Jonny Williams and Chuks Aneke will get opportunities to carry on their impressive form from Tuesday night, whilst the Welsh wizard started slowly he certainly proved his worth and experience over other team-mates. Of course it will still shouldnt be a surprise if he doesnt start on Saturday, not just because of Bowyer's tinkering but mainly down to his inability to avoid injury by playing in back to back games when a midweek encounter has been on the cards!!

There were of course concerns amongst the Valley faithful that new signing: Ronnie Schwartz could well have been injured after falling awkwardly at the end of the game on Tuesday night - The fact he's not been mentioned in injury updates from the club gives cause for hope... Ready for a start perhaps? - Darren Pratley will remain absent though with the midfielder sitting out the last game in his own suspension.

Amos
Gunter | Barker | Oshilaja | Maatsen
Williams | Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Millar
Aneke | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Henry | Smyth | Schwartz | Bogle

Prediction
Recent weeks have made even less eager to even try and predict a Lee Bowyer line-up let alone the performance. The biggest focus though will once again remain on the defence, as shown from previous Charlton teams that have been successful at this level, you have to be strong at the back if you want to think about Championship Football next season. We showed on Tuesday night that we're a team with the talent to attack, but its at the back we need to be tighter, conceding first has been a long term concern (with it being 71-games since we won from 1-0 down), but letting the team score two, three times, just makes it even harder... Cut out the mistakes!!!

Comments

• Predicting Bowyer's team is difficult but I can't see Barker starting, my guess would be:

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Oshilaja | Maatsen
    Morgan | Williams | JFC |  Millar
    Shwartz | Washington

I think Barker will probably come on for last 30 minutes, and Shwartz for Aneke at half time/60 mins as well
  • Didn't Bowyer say Matthews would play RB and Gunter CB in his conference?

Think, and hope, that's pretty close to the Team Bowyer picks. I like Maatsen and Millar down that left, think they have shown they can work well together. 
    Was that the other day after the Rochdale game or have I missed more recent comments? - Part of me thinks Barker will start, why bother taking him and leaving him on the bench when we could go with a strong approach on the bench and worst case just bring Purrington on if we have to
  • Predicting Bowyer's team is difficult but I can't see Barker starting, my guess would be:

Amos
    Shwartz | Washington

I think Barker will probably come on for last 30 minutes, and Shwartz for Aneke at half time/60 mins as well
    Switch Morgan and Williams, Bogle and Wash to start Aneke and Schwartz to come on for 30-40.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Predicting Bowyer's team is difficult but I can't see Barker starting, my guess would be:

Amos
    Shwartz | Washington

Switch Morgan and Williams, Bogle and Wash to start Aneke and Schwartz to come on for 30-40.
    Think you're right about this, I can't see Aneke starting.

I also don't think Williams will start, can see Smyth playing instead
  • Nice preview but that midfield doesn't have one decent tackle in it. And not many headers either. 

It's so lightweight if there's a strong wind in Bristol at the week-end it could get blown away.  

A weak, leaky and nervous defence combined with a lightweight midfield is not a recipe for success. 

At least without Pearce we wont have to defend from our own six yard box.

2-0 defeat. 
  • Play an attacking team and we may well win this game.
    Go back to being negative and we won't. 
    I predict we will set up overly defensive and go a goal behind. 
    2nd half Bowyer will have no choice but to be more aggressive and we will look better in the closing stages. 
    I hate predicting like this but sadly that's how I see it going. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I can see Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy fiddling too much once more, and a side starting like this - 

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Oshilaja | Purrington | Maatsen
    Morgan| JFC | Millar
    Bogle | Washington

Subs - AMB, Barker, Henry, Williams, Aneke, Schwartz, Smyth

He will use the no CBs excuse to go with five defenders (the they needed extra help line...), and for Williams and Aneke it was too much of a risk to play them twice so close together.  Ronnie is not yet up to full fitness so won't start. 

3-1 defeat with late Aneke goal making it look better than it is. 
  • Amos
    Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Maatsen
    Williams Forster-Caskey Morgan Millar
    Washington Aneke

Maynard-Brewer Purrington Barker Henry Smyth Bogle Schwartz

Only other lineup I can see us starting with is Purrington for Maatsen as he's looked jaded in the past couple of games. 
  • Aneke and Williams will have had four days rest. Bowyer needs to play them as he is genuinely under pressure. I don't think from us, but the owner is not going to allow us losing or drawing to every shit team in this league for too long.
  • Maybe Bristol Rovers is the easier three points. I appreciate Posh are more of a promotion rival but we can't take teams lightly. That is a contributor to our recent poor run.
  • Great preview @ForeverAddickted

The injuries and suspensions are hurting us and make what I’m about to say difficult, yet now coming in to mid-Jan we’ve got to start showing more consistency with the starting line up. We’ve seen recently with Accrington how good a team in this league who knows each other well on the pitch can play. 
  • Maybe Bristol Rovers is the easier three points. I appreciate Posh are more of a promotion rival but we can't take teams lightly. That is a contributor to our recent poor run.
    I agree but I think we still have enough to get the job done with them only playing 45. 

I’d rather them both fresh against tired defenders.
  • Bowyer says Henry and Barker could not train with the squad today ' because the pitch is waterlogged'. Did I miss some deluge, or do we have training pitches with no drainage?
  • Southbank said:
    Bowyer says Henry and Barker could not train with the squad today ' because the pitch is waterlogged'. Did I miss some deluge, or do we have training pitches with no drainage?
    Sounds like Jackson has been out with that 'Donny' water bottle again 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whatever combination of available defenders we can play , plus there is no proper midfield enforcer, we can only get a result by scoring lots of goals. Neither Williams nor Aneke can really do 90 minutes twice in 4 days, so I would start with
    Amos
    Matthews, Gunter, Oshilaja, Purrington
    Millar, JFC, Morgan Maatsen(at least 1 midfield tackler)
    Bogle, Washington

Then, when we are 2-0 down at half time, bring on Matthews, Aneke and Schwarz to beat them up for 45 minutes and get the equalisers.
  • Not a criticism of any decisons that have been made, but Lapslie would help here
  • Pedro45 said:
    I can see Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy fiddling too much once more, and a side starting like this - 

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Oshilaja | Purrington | Maatsen
    Morgan| JFC | Millar
    Bogle | Washington

Subs - AMB, Barker, Henry, Williams, Aneke, Schwartz, Smyth

He will use the no CBs excuse to go with five defenders (the they needed extra help line...), and for Williams and Aneke it was too much of a risk to play them twice so close together.  Ronnie is not yet up to full fitness so won't start. 

3-1 defeat with late Aneke goal making it look better than it is. 
    Purrington centre half ? I do hope not 
  • 9-0 to the Pirates...  Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrh!
  • edited January 2021
    9-0 to the Pirates...  Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrh!  Jim Lad 🏴‍☠️
    ‘Pieces of eight, pieces of eight’💰, sorry couldn’t resist it 😉
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
    Love you, @happyvalley.

Don't ever change. :smile:

• Southbank said:
    Bowyer says Henry and Barker could not train with the squad today ' because the pitch is waterlogged'. Did I miss some deluge, or do we have training pitches with no drainage?
    I do believe Uncle Roland once started digging a ditch.  :smile:

• Amos
    Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Maatsen
    Smyth Forster-Caskey Morgan Millar
    Washington Bogle

Both Chuks and Schwartz to come on at half time. I’d rather them start against Peterborough. 
    I believe you've called it. 

By the way @ElliotCAFC ....... take off the mask, Rob. How are you enjoying training now you're back at Sparrows Lane?
    Any internal gossip, team lineups for Saturday? Cheers! :smile:

• No confidence whatsoever. Rovers 2 - Charlton 1
  • No confidence whatsoever. Rovers 2 - Charlton 1
    Are you Omar Bogle? :smile: