Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rate my plate/ lambast my lunch (kids lockdown lunch edition)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    shine166 said:
    Everyone saying its fine are missing the point, its £30 worth of food supposedly
    yeah i missed your point as i don't have kids so didn't really know anything about this. 

now i have been informed by a few on here its bloody disgraceful. sounds like the Tories are hiring another company to waste more of the populations money. 
    Governments are shit at spending people's money, which, ironically, is a Tory party philosophy.

Vouchers would have been a much better way of doing things. 

£30 voucher for a supermarket of your choice, just make you don't spend it on cigarettes, vodka, flat screen TVs, mobile phone top up vouchers and scratch cards...

I should point out, the above is tongue in cheek. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    No - it's a disgrace. However, I suspect this is just an extreme.

Were you aware that every primary school who has a child who receives free school meals also get a £1,345 'pupil premium'?
    That’s incorrect.

That amount is for children who are ‘looked after’ eg in foster care. The amount schools get for disadvantaged children is less. This is to try and close the achievement gap and improve outcomes for disadvantaged students. Schools have been stripped of funding for years, anything that can help those children should surely be supported.

Frankly, some of the comments on this thread are shameful.

Not according to the Government website.

Schools get £1,345 for every primary age pupil, or £955 for every secondary age pupil, who claims free school meals, or who has claimed free school meals in the last 6 years.

Eligible schools

Local authority-maintained schools

This includes:

• all mainstream infant, primary, middle, junior, secondary and all-through schools serving children aged 5 to 16
    • schools for children with special educational needs or disabilities
    • pupil referral units (PRUs), for children who do not go to a mainstream school

Academies and free schools

This includes:

• all mainstream academies serving pupils aged 5 to 16
    • academies for children with special educational needs or disabilities
    • alternative provision (AP) academies, for children who do not go to a mainstream school

Voluntary-aided-schools

This includes voluntary-sector alternative provision schools with local authority agreement.

Non-maintained special schools

This includes schools for children with special educational needs.

Pupil premium - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

Were you aware that every primary school who has a child who receives free school meals also get a £1,345 'pupil premium'?
    That’s incorrect.

That amount is for children who are ‘looked after’ eg in foster care. The amount schools get for disadvantaged children is less. This is to try and close the achievement gap and improve outcomes for disadvantaged students. Schools have been stripped of funding for years, anything that can help those children should surely be supported.

Schools get £1,345 for every primary age pupil, or £955 for every secondary age pupil, who claims free school meals, or who has claimed free school meals in the last 6 years.

Eligible schools

This includes:

• all mainstream infant, primary, middle, junior, secondary and all-through schools serving children aged 5 to 16
    • pupil referral units (PRUs), for children who do not go to a mainstream school

This includes:

• alternative provision (AP) academies, for children who do not go to a mainstream school

Voluntary-aided-schools

This includes voluntary-sector alternative provision schools with local authority agreement.

I was talking about the secondary sector - didn’t read your post properly. Apologies.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

That’s incorrect.

Eligible schools

This includes:

This includes:

Voluntary-aided-schools

I was talking about the secondary sector - didn’t read your post properly. Apologies.
    £955 for every secondary age pupil, who claims free school meals, or who has claimed free school meals in the last 6 years.

• Options
    Does that mean he thinks that images being shared are unacceptable or that the hampers are? 
  • Options
    The hampers.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In the medium term it would be cheaper to give every family in the scheme a slow cooker and a good selection of stocks and seasonings. Throw in 5 or 6 simple casserole recipes and a suitable range of vegtables and every parent can supply their kids with warm, nutritious food.
  • Options
    In the medium term it would be cheaper to give every family in the scheme a slow cooker and a good selection of stocks and seasonings. Throw in 5 or 6 simple casserole recipes and a suitable range of vegtables and the parents can supply their kids with warm, nutritious food.
    Or a pair of scissors to cut the Mcdonalds vouchers out of the paper.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In the medium term it would be cheaper to give every family in the scheme a slow cooker and a good selection of stocks and seasonings. Throw in 5 or 6 simple casserole recipes and a suitable range of vegtables and the parents can supply their kids with warm, nutritious food.
    Or a pair of scissors to cut the Mcdonalds vouchers out of the paper.
    Can you slow cook McDonalds?

Edit apparently you can

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-hamburger-hash/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Most would call that another political post/dig.
    Hopefully admin do.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Tory party philosophy does not actually exist. They look at practicalities.
    The Tory MP Ben Bradley says the help people get in terms of direct financial benefits would be spent on prostitutes and crack cocaine...he is concerned with the practicalities of what he says happens.
    Chartwell the £5 food box for £30 provider is under the parent company Compass PLC. The head of that is a man called Dominic Blakemore and in practical terms he is paid £4.6 million a year.
    Essentially the Tory free market power play has been to have austerity to create hungry children, and then profit from that hunger.
    Not a philosophical approach, but a practical one rewarding good old British free market enterprise....from your taxes to Dominic Blakemore with a few crumbs along the way to hungry children, and larger crumbs to Tory Party donations.
    You have to admire the entrepreneurial spirit of the non philosophical ruling party supporters that can cream off £25 from each £30 of taxpayers money spent on this venture. Some would call it the buccaneering approach. After all it keeps the poor out of brothels and off the crack.
    I can see what you did there ………… :-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Tory party philosophy does not actually exist. They look at practicalities.
    The Tory MP Ben Bradley says the help people get in terms of direct financial benefits would be spent on prostitutes and crack cocaine...he is concerned with the practicalities of what he says happens.
    Chartwell the £5 food box for £30 provider is under the parent company Compass PLC. The head of that is a man called Dominic Blakemore and in practical terms he is paid £4.6 million a year.
    Essentially the Tory free market power play has been to have austerity to create hungry children, and then profit from that hunger.
    Not a philosophical approach, but a practical one rewarding good old British free market enterprise....from your taxes to Dominic Blakemore with a few crumbs along the way to hungry children, and larger crumbs to Tory Party donations.
    You have to admire the entrepreneurial spirit of the non philosophical ruling party supporters that can cream off £25 from each £30 of taxpayers money spent on this venture. Some would call it the buccaneering approach. After all it keeps the poor out of brothels and off the crack.
    I make him right, who wants a go on a brass after a poor person has been through it
  • Options
    Hopefully admin do.
    Tory philosophy was mentioned by another poster above. Introduced into this thread, as has been the work of Marcus Rashford.
    If mine is a political post, so are theirs...so tell off those posters too!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.
    Tory philosophy was mentioned by another poster above. Introduced into this thread, as has been the work of Marcus Rashford.
    Take your politics to somewhere that wants to listen, which is not here and yes I know you've said you're banned from H of C.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.
    Take your politics to somewhere that wants to listen, which is not here and yes I know you've said your banned from H of C.
    My post actually contained information that might interest others, such as the £4.6 million paid to Dominic Blakewell.
    If you are going to focus on my 'political posts' then focus on the political posts of others too.
    Unless you have an agenda wouldn't you say it's good to be even handed?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.
    Take your politics to somewhere that wants to listen, which is not here and yes I know you've said your banned from H of C.
    My post actually contained information that might interest others, such as the £4.6 million paid to Dominic Blakewell.
    If you are going to focus on my 'political posts' then focus on the political posts of others too.
    The only information in your post appears to be the salary of the CEO of the largest foodservice company in the world and a constituent part of the FTSE. The rest was hyperbolic nonsense.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.
    The only information in your post appears to be the salary of the CEO of the largest foodservice company in the world and a constituent part of the FTSE. The rest was hyperbolic nonsense.

(Messed up quoting)

You are wrong. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.

(Messed up quoting)

You are wrong. 
     - Please link the quote from Ben Bradley about prostitutes and cocaine.
     - Please share the confirmation that Chartwell have been charging the govt £30 for £5 of food.
     - Please point to any reputable source that can demonstrate that the Tory Party drives austerity to deliberately create hunger.
     - If the above point is proven, please share the process of converting that hunger to profit, and detail where that profit goes. 
     - Please provide evidence of a direct link between donations to the conservative party and the awarding of contracts.

With the above in place, I will agree with you wholeheartedly.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like Seth's posts. Don't agree with many of them but I appreciate that he doesn't filter what he says. 
  • Options
    Were Chartwells taking the piss? Absolutely. Most probably the action of a local Manager, trying to maximise his revenues rather than a deliberate ploy by a wealthy businessman to starve the poor.

Not sure how the Prime Minister is supposed to know until it's brought to his attention. It was and he's acted quickly.

But that doesn't suit Seth's narrative.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Were Chartwells taking the piss? Absolutely. Most probably the action of a local Manager, trying to maximise his revenues rather than a deliberate ploy by a wealthy businessman to starve the poor.

Not sure how the Prime Minister is supposed to know until it's brought to his attention. It was and he's acted quickly.

But that doesn't suit Seth's narrative.
    They've don't this before, as you say glad its being sorted quickly.
  • Options
    Points well made, let's leave it there please.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.

(Messed up quoting)

You are wrong. 
     - Please share the confirmation that Chartwell have been charging the govt £30 for £5 of food.
     - Please point to any reputable source that can demonstrate that the Tory Party drives austerity to deliberately create hunger.
     - If the above point is proven, please share the process of converting that hunger to profit, and detail where that profit goes. 
     - Please provide evidence of a direct link between donations to the conservative party and the awarding of contracts.

Seeing as you asked nicely this is my response:

His original tweet has been taken down but here is something from the Evening Express:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/tory-mp-ben-bradley-claims-free-school-meals-tweet-taken-out-of-context/

Here is an article from the Daily Mirror where Chartwell have agreed to make repayments (why if they were being so nice?):

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/free-school-meals-supplier-be-23308406

Here is another that indicates the cost of food actually sent out was around £5:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/government-investigate-woefully-inadequate-free-school-meal-parcels/

I think you will see the difference between the cost of the amount of food sent, and the £30 vouchers subsequently issued.

Tory government policy over the years is deliberate. By instigating a policy of austerity the poorest get squeezed.
    Here is an article that indicates austerity policy has a detrimental impact on health, which can be exacerbated by a lack of nutrition:

http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/the-marmot-review-10-years-on

And more information from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/world/europe/britain-austerity-may-budget.html

And an article from the Daily Mail about the United nations in the form of Unicef stepping in to help children in the UK (something that annoyed Government Minister  Rees Mogg:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9059275/UN-aid-agency-Unicef-help-feed-BRITISH-children-time-history-Covid.html

The hunger is converted to profit by the gap between £5 worth of food and the near £30 it should be (as evidenced by the voucher offer mentioned above). A lot of the profit goes to Dominic Blakemore:

And as for donations.

https://sophieehill.shinyapps.io/my-little-crony/

I will leave you to examine the links provided in the above.

P.S. I am not particularly seeking agreement from you or anybody else. I am posting about what I perceive to be going on.
    Even the Prime Minister, when his feet were metaphorically held to the fire, said the food situation was a disgrace, and yesterday in PMQ's he praised Marcus Rashford for helping his understanding.
    Maybe I have helped your understanding of my original post on this thread.

Apologies Lookout, one last reply....Seth's response deserves it as its well sourced and proposed.

Seth, fair play... a lot of stuff you've linked supports your "hyperbolic nonsense" (my words), though I think how its presented depends on your standpoint.

Ben Bradshaw is at best naive in his response to someone who wrote about prostitutes and cocaine following a tweet he had made about issues in Mansfield that in his opinion were a priority. Twitter is the domain of twats.

Chartwell's boxes were clearly, in many instances, below their own published standards, and they are committed to rectifying the issue. Even the wildest conspiracy theorist would struggle to link the reported issue to profit drivers behind the CEO's salary (we don't see the pictures of the overwhelmingly "appropriate" boxes).

Linking the Tory governments austerity measures to a deliberate programme of child starvation to boost control, power and wealth is a Machiavellian plot beyond reality (I'll reserve that policy for Stalin and Mao).

Unicef's intervention in Southwark was political grandstanding of the highest order. It has a job to do, and its not in the UK.

When Parliament, The Telegraph and The Guardian publish clear evidence of a link between donations and contracts, and when heads have rolled, I'll accept the existence of corruption. In the meantime, forgive me if I don't give too much time to Sophie Hill at ShinyApps.

I'm a conservative (although you'll be glad to hear I haven't always voted for them - I naturally went over to the Brexit Party a few times) and I absolutely have a belief system in line with the philosophies of the movement.

So I'm afraid I still can't agree wholeheartedly....(not that you wanted me to)
  • Options
    I think you will find Unicef intervened in a lot more places than Southwark. That intervention was I believe £40,000, but their total help for the UK I saw reported as, I believe, £700,000.
    Of course we disagree, but I will refrain from calling your contribution 'hyperbolic nonsense'.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.

(Messed up quoting)

You are wrong. 

His original tweet has been taken down but here is something from the Evening Express:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/tory-mp-ben-bradley-claims-free-school-meals-tweet-taken-out-of-context/

Here is an article from the Daily Mirror where Chartwell have agreed to make repayments (why if they were being so nice?):

Here is another that indicates the cost of food actually sent out was around £5:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/government-investigate-woefully-inadequate-free-school-meal-parcels/

I think you will see the difference between the cost of the amount of food sent, and the £30 vouchers subsequently issued.

Tory government policy over the years is deliberate. By instigating a policy of austerity the poorest get squeezed.
    Here is an article that indicates austerity policy has a detrimental impact on health, which can be exacerbated by a lack of nutrition:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/world/europe/britain-austerity-may-budget.html

And an article from the Daily Mail about the United nations in the form of Unicef stepping in to help children in the UK (something that annoyed Government Minister  Rees Mogg:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9059275/UN-aid-agency-Unicef-help-feed-BRITISH-children-time-history-Covid.html

The hunger is converted to profit by the gap between £5 worth of food and the near £30 it should be (as evidenced by the voucher offer mentioned above). A lot of the profit goes to Dominic Blakemore:

And as for donations.

P.S. I am not particularly seeking agreement from you or anybody else. I am posting about what I perceive to be going on.
    Even the Prime Minister, when his feet were metaphorically held to the fire, said the food situation was a disgrace, and yesterday in PMQ's he praised Marcus Rashford for helping his understanding.

To be fair to Dom, he has taken a £1.5m pay cut because of the pandemic ... What a guy
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Hopefully admin do.

(Messed up quoting)

You are wrong. 

And as for donations.

Apologies Lookout, one last reply....Seth's response deserves it as its well sourced and proposed.

Seth, fair play... a lot of stuff you've linked supports your "hyperbolic nonsense" (my words), though I think how its presented depends on your standpoint.

Ben Bradshaw is at best naive in his response to someone who wrote about prostitutes and cocaine following a tweet he had made about issues in Mansfield that in his opinion were a priority. Twitter is the domain of twats.

Chartwell's boxes were clearly, in many instances, below their own published standards, and they are committed to rectifying the issue. Even the wildest conspiracy theorist would struggle to link the reported issue to profit drivers behind the CEO's salary (we don't see the pictures of the overwhelmingly "appropriate" boxes).

Linking the Tory governments austerity measures to a deliberate programme of child starvation to boost control, power and wealth is a Machiavellian plot beyond reality (I'll reserve that policy for Stalin and Mao).

Unicef's intervention in Southwark was political grandstanding of the highest order. It has a job to do, and its not in the UK.

When Parliament, The Telegraph and The Guardian publish clear evidence of a link between donations and contracts, and when heads have rolled, I'll accept the existence of corruption. In the meantime, forgive me if I don't give too much time to Sophie Hill at ShinyApps.

I'm a conservative (although you'll be glad to hear I haven't always voted for them - I naturally went over to the Brexit Party a few times) and I absolutely have a belief system in line with the philosophies of the movement.

So I'm afraid I still can't agree wholeheartedly....(not that you wanted me to)
    You were right @clb74.