Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terry Naylor

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Great story was told to me by Dick Tydeman captain at the time of the Ipswich cup game and my favourite Charlton player. Apparently in the dressing room before the Ipswich game Terry Naylor stated ' Come on if we win this one we' ll win the cup' Dick assures me Terry was serious, you'd probably have to know how good Ipswich were at that time to realise how wild a statement that was. Good player for Charlton though was Terry Naylor, glad to hear he's doin
    Loved Tydeman. A really cultured midfielder 

Think he could have played higher had we signed him earlier. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Great story was told to me by Dick Tydeman captain at the time of the Ipswich cup game and my favourite Charlton player. Apparently in the dressing room before the Ipswich game Terry Naylor stated ' Come on if we win this one we' ll win the cup' Dick assures me Terry was serious, you'd probably have to know how good Ipswich were at that time to realise how wild a statement that was. Good player for Charlton though was Terry Naylor, glad to hear he's doing well. 
    I was at this game and we got stuffed 3-0 from what I remember. Mariner, Eric Gates etc.. and Robson was manager. We had no chance.
  • Options
    Did he not score a very late winner against Palace at the Valley?
  • Options
    Don McAllister? Yes & I think that gives him lifelong hero status 😂
  • Options
    Correct in the last minute after Palace dominated. My cousin in law Paul Barron was the Palace goalkeeper that day. He was not a happy bunny after the game. GOOD!! 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Bailey said:
    Great story was told to me by Dick Tydeman captain at the time of the Ipswich cup game and my favourite Charlton player. Apparently in the dressing room before the Ipswich game Terry Naylor stated ' Come on if we win this one we' ll win the cup' Dick assures me Terry was serious, you'd probably have to know how good Ipswich were at that time to realise how wild a statement that was. Good player for Charlton though was Terry Naylor, glad to hear he's doing well. 
    I was at this game and we got stuffed 3-0 from what I remember. Mariner, Eric Gates etc.. and Robson was manager. We had no chance.
    2-0 but we played well up against the best side in England, Les Berry and Peter Shaw were outstanding, with Les playing on with a bad head wound.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Bailey said:
    Great story was told to me by Dick Tydeman captain at the time of the Ipswich cup game and my favourite Charlton player. Apparently in the dressing room before the Ipswich game Terry Naylor stated ' Come on if we win this one we' ll win the cup' Dick assures me Terry was serious, you'd probably have to know how good Ipswich were at that time to realise how wild a statement that was. Good player for Charlton though was Terry Naylor, glad to hear he's doin
    Loved Tydeman. A really cultured midfielder 

Think he could have played higher had we signed him earlier. 
    He's a lovely fella too, like all ex pro's has got some great stories. My particular favourite is when he gave Lawrie Madden a dig while they were teamates, he isn't too complementary on that other cock Tony Hazell either.
  • Options
    Remember McAllister going off on a stretcher with a nasty head wound in a game against Palace at Selhurst.

Thought that would be the end of him for the game but he came back on 5 minutes later with a bandage on his head and played out the game. 
  • Options
    Looks like Terry has released an autobiography .

Although we are clearly not the main target audience I think he would discuss his time at the Valley as the above conversation demonstrates he was proud of his achievements with us .

NUTTER NAYLOR – SPURS TERRACE FAVOURITE | Legends Publishing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Looks like Terry has released an autobiography .

Although we are clearly not the main target audience I think he would discuss his time at the Valley as the above conversation demonstrates he was proud of his achievements with us .

NUTTER NAYLOR – SPURS TERRACE FAVOURITE | Legends Publishing
    Loved the guy.
    Thanks for the link, I'm gonna get this
  • Options
    We were contacted a few months ago regarding Terry having a book out. We were asked if we had a picture of him in action in a Charlton shirt. We were able to find a picture from a programme cover , the China friendly I think it was.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I love the story about Naylor saying we can win the cup. He is the sort of player you want in your team. I am looking for holiday reads for next year. Graham Tutt and Terry Naylor should do nicely. I do oft repeat this, but if you haven't read Garry Nelson's books, you are missing a real treat. 
  • Options
    I have read most of the Charlton books and by far the best is Len Glover's which is called 'From Left Wing To D Wing'. It is very funny and quite outrageous but is almost impossible to find in print format. It does exist  because I've seen it, but it is only the kindle version that is around now.   
  • Options
    Great player Terry Naylor
  • Options
    @killerjerrylee , I googled the bookyou mentioned and came up with this....
  • Options
    Daarrzzetbum said:
    Richard J said:
    kafka said:
    Interesting watch. How you recognised him on a bus I don't know; he's changed a bit. Very dapper though and I'll forgive him the tie.
    I let him sit down in my seat. His knee was in a brace 

I think he was a bit surprised when it was the Charlton part of his career that I wanted to discuss. 

It reminded me of when I met Paul Miller once in a Spurs lounge .  I told Maxi that I had 
    Loved Terry Naylor
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The book arrived today and I have flicked through the Charlton bits.

@charltonnick 's picture is used and @bolloxbolder' s anecdote of the reverse dribble also features. Although like the Wapping Assassin Podcast it is clearly aimed at Spurs supporters I think the non Charlton bits will be an interesting read.

I think that the most surprising fact is that he actually got a 20% pay increase for moving to Charlton from Spurs as a veteran full back when we were in the Third tier.