Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Shinnie and Akin Famewo could both be back for Charlton’s match at Peterborough next week.

Comments

• Options
    Great news. Hope they’re not being rushed back though. We’ve been in a viscous cycle with injuries for over a year now. If we have to wait a couple more weeks to break it then fine. 

I would assume Norwich and Luton would both have to agree these two are fit enough and may have assessed them themselves so that may provide some checks and balances in this case. 
  • Options
    Football supporters positivism:

With Famewo, Shinnie, Innis, Millar and Schwartz starting we will piss this poxy tinpot league.

Or something.
  • Options
    But seriously we will surely start getting some results.
  • Options
    Famewo will be fighting Pratley to pair Gunter in defence....😄
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Drop Pearce. He's no warrior for me. Striker's relish, not fear playing against him these days. He's been the direct source of a few goals this season in League bloody One.
    He has been poor this season, that said at least he's an actual CB not Pratley/Gunter or someone filling in. For now until Famewo is back Pearce/Deji is our best option available
  • Options
    RaplhMilne said: 
    Brilliant news. Two most important and best players at the club. Will make a massive difference when these two return. 
    Hmm.... been here before. We were going to fly back up the table when Taylor came back last season. Prior to lockdown he just came back and joined in with the crap performances everybody else was putting in. 
    Not expecting miracles from these two and we go and finished 2nd winning 10 in a row but they will make a much better team. 

It would be harsh but correct that Shinnie is probably twice the play Morgan is. Akin is probably the best centre half we’ve had at Charlton in ten years. 

And yet Akin is on loan to us and not in the Norwich team. How we have slipped.
    He may go on to be but then you would have to include Gomez. For me Ben Haim was outstanding for us.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Drop Pearce. He's no warrior for me. Striker's relish, not fear playing against him these days. He's been the direct source of a few goals this season in League bloody One.
    He has been poor this season, that said at least he's an actual CB not Pratley/Gunter or someone filling in. For now until Famewo is back Pearce/Deji is our best option available
    I meant in reference to the question whether Pearce or Osh should sit aside for Famewo.
  • Options
    Good news.
  • Options
    RaplhMilne said: 
    Brilliant news. Two most important and best players at the club. Will make a massive difference when these two return. 
    Hmm.... been here before. We were going to fly back up the table when Taylor came back last season. Prior to lockdown he just came back and joined in with the crap performances everybody else was putting in. 
    Not expecting miracles from these two and we go and finished 2nd winning 10 in a row but they will make a much better team. 

It would be harsh but correct that Shinnie is probably twice the play Morgan is. Akin is probably the best centre half we’ve had at Charlton in ten years. 

He may go on to be but then you would have to include Gomez. For me Ben Haim was outstanding for us.
    Yes, Famewo has only played a handful of games for us, far too early to be judging him against previous players, whether Gomez, Ben Haim, Morrison, Cort, Dervite, Wood, Diarra, Fanni, or BFG
  • Options
    RaplhMilne said: 

To be fair he’s also 50% older than Albie, and therefore  has ten times as much experience to draw on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RaplhMilne said: 

Yes, Famewo has only played a handful of games for us, far too early to be judging him against previous players, whether Gomez, Ben Haim, Morrison, Cort, Dervite, Wood, Diarra, Fanni, or BFG
    Sarr, Texeria even Bikey when he had his head screwed on. 
  • Options
    RaplhMilne said: 

To be fair he’s also 50% older than Albie, and therefore  has ten times as much experience to draw on. 
    Ben Watson is 100% older than Jude Bellingham :wink:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RaplhMilne said: 

Sarr, Texeria even Bikey when he had his head screwed on. 
    Tex was class
  • Options
    He is excellent at dead balls. Take note JFC. 

The other issue we now have with set pieces is that we've got a team of mostly <6ft players!

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Can't wait to get Shinnie back on set pieces. We were finally putting some dangerous balls in the box from corners when he was taking them
    Shinnie is definitely just as much a miss as either of the CBs. He is the missing ingredient that knits everything together and turns a pedestrian midfield into a cohesive unit. Certainly I feel a player like Schwartz will do a lot better for having Shinnie behind him.

I think you are absolutely bang on with this. Sorely missed Shinnies composure! 
  • Options
    This isnt meant as a dig in anyway but has Shinnie become the latest one of our players that seem to be mile better when injured than when they play lol 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    This isnt meant as a dig in anyway but has Shinnie become the latest one of our players that seem to be mile better when injured than when they play lol 
    To be fair he wasnt overly effective against Burton or MK Dons as he was in our earlier fixtures, felt the opposition had either sussed him out or he was potentially already playing with a tight thigh as Bowyer mentioned that he had to be told to sit out these games as he wanted to play on, a bit like Bonne @ Middlesbrough.

It does feel odd though that our Midfield performances have gotten worse with first Shinnie out and then Watson missing against Accrington Stanley what with the latters ability to sit and protect (Unless he's got a Scott Fraser running at him), so hopefully Shinnie coming back will add what we've been missing - As for Watson it'll be interesting watching tonight if Friday was a one off
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Possibly but every combination of midfielders we've tried since his injury have only had half a good game between them since.

It could be a coincidence but I don't think so honestly. And set piece delivery has certainly objectively gotten worse since he was out, though Maddison would probably be at least as good of given a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    No, not at all! With most of my mates being Luton, as I live up this way...they told me when he joined that he is class in League one but can’t quite make the step up to champ for some reason. I could see that straight away. So yeh, carry on digging out peoples opinions, even though you are not but you are ;)
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    AndyG said:
    No, not at all! With most of my mates being Luton, as I live up this way...they told me when he joined that he is class in League one but can’t quite make the step up to champ for some reason. I could see that straight away. So yeh, carry on digging out peoples opinions, even though you are not but you are ;)
    No I wasnt not in anyway mate. I was just saying that when players are on the injury table our minds seem to think they are far better than maybe they were. Gilby was going to be a gamechanger when he was coming back from injury. It was just a question not a slight in anyway ;p;
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Results with Shinnie in the team:

P10 W7 D1 L2 - 2.2ppg

Results without Shinnie in the team:

P10 W2 D4 L4 - 1.0ppg

Ha ok they are figures that support him being missed lol. Before everyone gets on my case I wasnt saying he isnt anygood, bloody hell I even support Bogle in that I think he gives 100%. Any player in one of our shirts gets my full support lol
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

P10 W7 D1 L2 - 2.2ppg

P10 W2 D4 L4 - 1.0ppg

Ha ok they are figures that support him being missed lol. Before everyone gets on my case I wasnt saying he isnt anygood, bloody hell I even support Bogle in that I think he gives 100%. Any player in one of our shirts gets my full support lol
    Those numbers surprised me too when I was compiling them! I knew we were better with him but more than a point difference per game is massive.

He’s the type of player that slips under the radar when he’s in the team but is ultra effective at his job.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    AndyG said:
    No I wasnt not in anyway mate. I was just saying that when players are on the injury table our minds seem to think they are far better than maybe they were. Gilby was going to be a gamechanger when he was coming back from injury. It was just a question not a slight in anyway ;p;
    It is a valid question to be fair (especially given the example of Gilbey) but just because it WAS the case for Gilbey doesn't mean it definitely also does apply to Shinnie (hence the stats above.)

That said, let's not expect him to pick up exactly where he left off first game back. It will take time to get back to full effectiveness.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

P10 W7 D1 L2 - 2.2ppg

P10 W2 D4 L4 - 1.0ppg

Those numbers surprised me too when I was compiling them! I knew we were better with him but more than a point difference per game is massive.

He’s the type of player that slips under the radar when he’s in the team but is ultra effective at his job.
    Shinnie I think is one of the players whose main importance is not exactly what he does directly but what he lets other people do. Watson/Pratley don't have to drive forward/find the killer pass - just win the ball and let Shinnie move it forwards. Williams/Maddison don't have to go hunting for the ball, they need to take up good positions so when they receive it, they can make things happen.

Players like Shinnie are the difference between "four midfielders" and "one midfield." And the benefits of that then knock on both to strikers and defenders alike.
  • Options
    Innis, Famewo and Shinnie have played 3 games together.  We won all 3.

Thats shocking really, that means we have played our best team 3 times, at the most. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Thats shocking really, that means we have played our best team 3 times, at the most. 
    Excellent. When they are back we win the league.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Excellent. When they are back we win the league.
    When Gilbey and Maddison are fit we will start banging them in #HMSpisstheleague