Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Frank Lampard's available 😀😀
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I was never in the Curbs out brigade. He was our greatest ever manager in my eyes - sorry James Seed. You only have to look at the fantastic stadium we have and Curbs built it. Bowyer had a promising start and for whatever reason has gone through a major wobble. He has behaved atrociously and I am still waiting to hear about another professional manager who has behaved as poorly as he as in recent months. 

I do think somebody has had a word and he is trying to change but I also think he is very lucky to be given the chance to. What he said about Maddison was disgusting in the extreme. Then you put that on top of other scapegoating he has done in words and actions.

What I would say to Lee that is it is true none of the players we have would be able to light a candle to you playing wise. Get over it! It is important to understand that we are in League One. But most of them are not as big a*holes as you were too in your youth. Put that aspect behind you forever. It was starting to show itself and it needs locking up in the box it belongs if you are to have any sort of managerial career. 
  • Options
    I can’t believe we’re raking up the Curbs stuff again, time to get over it. 

Completely different time period, person and circumstances - what happened then really has no relevance to current events. 
  • Options
    I think it's a bit of a myth that Charlton fans wanted Curbs to leave - very few did from what I am aware of. I simply think he wanted a change.

The downfall of the club started with the ludicrous appointment of Dowie..
    THIS x10000
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think it's a bit of a myth that Charlton fans wanted Curbs to leave - very few did from what I am aware of. I simply think he wanted a change.

The downfall of the club started with the ludicrous appointment of Dowie..
    Totally agree, I thought he was capable of achieving even more. I wanted to see him go for it. He did however, seem happy to level out, and remain a lower mid table side. Obviously, his departure was the start of a decline, that leads to where we are now. 

However, I honestly have to say unless you a top six prem side, then pretty much your only chance of being successful, has to stem from being a failure first. The lesser clubs measure of success is staying in the Premiership. However, I’m sure if you asked West Brom,  Newcastle, Villa, an other yo-yo clubs for their best recent memories of success. It would not be finishing 8th in the Premiership. It would be winning the Championship or the Championship play off final.

For us success in the last 17 years is getting out of league one. An obviously this has to be preceded by getting relegated into league one in the first place. 
  • Options
    A far better comparison to Curbs would have been Parkinson or Robinson, both managing us at this level.

Parkinson was sacked after a poor run when we were 5th, and under Powell we slid to 13th (despite signing BWP)

Robinson left when we were 9th with Bowyer taking us to 6th with the same players
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    This is obviously off-topic but since a few posts about Curbs' departure have appeared.... I remember in 2006 quite a lot of people on a Charlton forum ''CAFC-fans'' (which was probably the biggest Charlton forum at the time) were talking about whether Curbs should go. I started to follow this club around 2003 and one of the main reasons was Curbs. Even I, after reading all those discussions regarding Curbs for some time in the latter part of the 2005-06 season, was gradually starting to think 'maybe we do need a change?'. So I guess it was not just a tiny group of people that wanted him to leave. They were vocal. Some of the 'Curbs Out' arguments seemed persuasive at the time I must admit. Of course we all know they were wrong. Curbs' departure (plus the subsequent appointment of Dowie) was an immense blow to us. Murray should have at least let Curbs see out his contract. Him leaving was and will always be the most heart-breaking thing in football for me. :'(

Having said the above, I should add that I didn't (don't) go to matches so my impression of Charlton fans' opinions mainly were formed from posts and articles that I read online.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    We have the best manager for us in place. Move on or get left behind.
    If the Bowyer loyalists are proven right, those who are not convinced, to the blatant out brigade, can all smile and say glad we were proven wrong. Unfortunately if at this stage next season we are going nowhere with an even worse squad and even worse results (despite that being quite difficult), you loyalists are going to feel very silly and very sad.  

Please don’t be an arse. None of us will be smiling I would hope. We are all Charlton supporters first and foremost.
    I won’t feel silly, but I will feel sad. None of us know the future or what would have been.
    I remember the Curbishley out campaign. ‘He has taken us as far as he can’, ‘it is time to hand the baton over’, ‘he lacks the vision’, ‘we should be pushing for Europe’. Fans like me we’re ridiculed and mocked for our support for him, but the mob got him. Not many still alive apparently. 
    A rewriting of history here.
    Murray offered Curbishley a new contract.
    Curbs would only renew for 1 year.
    Murray said no and they reached a settlement.
    No mob got Curbishley.
    I thought Curbs had one year left on his contract regardless

Murray wanted him to sign a new deal because he didnt want to deal with players rejecting offers because of the lack of assurances surrounding the Managers post the following year... Curbs said no to that so they then reached the settlement

Wonder what would have happened had Curbs stayed that one further year

Would he have found his mojo again which would have resulted in a new deal - Or would Murray have done a better job replacing Curbs knowing he had a full year rather than a few months to probably research a replacement.

Reckon we wouldnt have gone down the year we did and Murray would have gotten the TV deal he complained about us missing out on.

I've often felt the biggest downfall for the club was actually Murray losing his wife... Remember Curbs in his book saying he'd go over to their house to negotiate something or other and in the end his wife would tell Richard to stop messing around and give Curbs what he wanted
  • Options
    Bowyer had a promising start and for whatever reason has gone through a major wobble. He has behaved atrociously and I am still waiting to hear about another professional manager who has behaved as poorly as he as in recent months. 

I do think somebody has had a word and he is trying to change but I also think he is very lucky to be given the chance to. What he said about Maddison was disgusting in the extreme. Then you put that on top of other scapegoating he has done in words and actions.

What I would say to Lee that is it is true none of the players we have would be able to light a candle to you playing wise. Get over it! It is important to understand that we are in League One. But most of them are not as big a*holes as you were too in your youth. Put that aspect behind you forever. It was starting to show itself and it needs locking up in the box it belongs if you are to have any sort of managerial career. 
    Joey Barton.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Bowyer had a promising start and for whatever reason has gone through a major wobble. He has behaved atrociously and I am still waiting to hear about another professional manager who has behaved as poorly as he as in recent months. 

Joey Barton.
    Good answer, and right to a degree but did Barton do it with the same number of players and fans too? Also he got what was coming to him too. So he is also a good example of what should have happened to Bowyer.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    We have the best manager for us in place. Move on or get left behind.
    If the Bowyer loyalists are proven right, those who are not convinced, to the blatant out brigade, can all smile and say glad we were proven wrong. Unfortunately if at this stage next season we are going nowhere with an even worse squad and even worse results (despite that being quite difficult), you loyalists are going to feel very silly and very sad.  

Please don’t be an arse. None of us will be smiling I would hope. We are all Charlton supporters first and foremost.
    I won’t feel silly, but I will feel sad. None of us know the future or what would have been.
    I remember the Curbishley out campaign. ‘He has taken us as far as he can’, ‘it is time to hand the baton over’, ‘he lacks the vision’, ‘we should be pushing for Europe’. Fans like me we’re ridiculed and mocked for our support for him, but the mob got him. Not many still alive apparently. 
    A rewriting of history here.
    Murray offered Curbishley a new contract.
    Curbs would only renew for 1 year.
    Murray said no and they reached a settlement.
    No mob got Curbishley.
    I thought Curbs had one year left on his contract regardless

Murray wanted him to sign a new deal because he didnt want to deal with players rejecting offers because of the lack of assurances surrounding the Managers post the following year... Curbs said no to that so they then reached the settlement

Wonder what would have happened had Curbs stayed that one further year

Would he have found his mojo again which would have resulted in a new deal - Or would Murray have done a better job replacing Curbs knowing he had a full year rather than a few months to probably research a replacement.

Reckon we wouldnt have gone down the year we did and Murray would have gotten the TV deal he complained about us missing out on.

I've often felt the biggest downfall for the club was actually Murray losing his wife... Remember Curbs in his book saying he'd go over to their house to negotiate something or other and in the end his wife would tell Richard to stop messing around and give Curbs what he wanted
    That's exactly what I've thought about many times since we were relegated from the Prem... If only he'd stayed for one more year! *sigh* Things would have been completely different... :'(

As for whether Bowyer should stay or leave..... I really hope he isn't the kind of manager that always ruthlessly blames his own players publicly after a poor game and rarely takes responsibility when he should. It's only until last year that I realised how important it is that your direct boss has a big heart and is good at man management - it makes a huge difference to employees. When I read what Bowyer said post matches I sympathised with the players as my new boss has done similar things to my colleagues and me (ie. always our fault never hers) and is truly awful (100 times worse than Bowyer of course :D ). 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think if we miss out on the play-offs I don't see why Bowyer should be here next season. The squad is easily good enough to get into the top 6. 
    Who would you replace him with ? 
  • Options

Yeah, remember when he went for the England manager interview and didn't get the job?

He was never quite the same at Charlton after that.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I think Curbs came to the conclusion that he had taken Charlton as far as we could after losing Parker. He tried to get it back with some success, but he couldn't reach the heights of that side, which I believe was the fourth best in the country. The fact is, nobody was to blame apart from Chelsea seeking to scupper a smaller but better side. It is how football works and will happen again.

It was understandable that Curbs was ambitious and he was not treated well for the England job interviews. I read about it in his book. Let's be honest. he did a great job at West Ham before being let down by them which effectively ruined his career.

The decision to let him go early after he told Murray he would not sign a new deal after his current one expired had a logic to it. The problem was that Murray saw it as an opportunity to create a new management structure with himself at the helm. Curbs was very hands on with most aspects of the club and we needed to find similar. But how do you replace a legend like Curbs?  

But there was a difference in Curbs. He looked tired of it. It probably was time for him to go when he said he didn't want to stay.
  • Options
    We need to move on and start the search for next season. 

We're 8th and all the other teams above us have games in hand. This season is over. 
  • Options
    We need to move on and start the search for next season. 

We're 8th and all the other teams above us have games in hand. This season is over. 
    Never really got going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is not a bad squad. We are still well within a shout of the playoffs.

Tommy's got a decision to make if he wants to get anything out of this season.
    TS needs to grow some balls and put bowyer out on his ass.

hes had plenty of time to turn it around, but nothings happened
  • Options
    Top 6 team, mid table finish.

Bowyer has to go.

• Options
    Bowyer hasn't a clue what our best team is or formation. He's signed 18 players under TS and bar a few they've all looked terrible for long periods now. 

Same mistakes week after week. 

Time to go but I suspect TS will wait until we're dead and buried for this season before making a change 

• Options
    The tinkering is annoying. I'd give him a slight pass on the fact DJ was unavailable, although that made Millar being on the bench even more bizarre. What is his fault is the failure to sign a CB. We signed yet another CM who I thought looked tidy but when Gilbey, Watson, Pratley, Shinnie, JFC and Morgan (plus Vennings) you have to ask why he felt that was more important. 
  • Options
    If LB hasnt lost it I bloody have. 

WTF was that tonight?

As for 'we don't need a defender' I say after the last few games that LB needs to go to fcuking Specsavers!

I'm not sure anymore what LB has to do to be sacked... I think Thomas is clearly hesitant but I can't see LB going just yet. 

We need to go on a winning run of biblical proportions and that is not going to happen with this team and LB. 
  • Options
    Shocking result, as much as it hurts to say, but I am sorry but Bowyer has to be sacked, simply not good enough, had a massive opportunity to build a youthful team, and blew it with the old brigade who have not got the legs!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!