Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling All Charlton Fans in Scotland - New Group

When CAST’s Zoom Q&A with Thomas Sandgaard took place in December, we discovered that at least three of the online attendees were based in Scotland: CAST Chair Heather McKinlay and members Robert Anderson and Adrian Howlett. They have since met (virtually, of course) and are keen to establish a new group for Charlton Fans in Scotland, building on our new owner’s ambitions to develop the club’s potential far and wide.

The primary aim of the group is to establish informal links and a social community among all Charlton fans based north of the border, strengthening ties with the club. We envisage organising occasional Charlton-themed meetings and get-togethers in Scotland. Numbers and interest permitting, we could possibly co-ordinate trips to matches in the North of England and to The Valley – who knows, one day perhaps even chartering a plane to follow the resurgent Addicks on a European adventure?

Robert says: “It can feel a bit isolated sometimes as a Charlton fan in Scotland, yet it seems there are more of us than I realised. If you’re based here, do get in touch and help us get this group off the ground. It’s free and open to all Addicks across Scotland, whether or not you are a CAST member. Simply email me on robert.anderson5087@ntlworld.com.”

Comments

• Options
    Sailor Brown's daughter is up there on the west coast, although I know she has just moved home. Obviously she has emotional ties via her dad but Im not sure how much of a fan she is, I'll ask her. She's told me some interesting stories about her dads career and maybe would share a tale or two with you all via zoom, I can only ask. ;)
  • Options
    Talking of Scottish fans, does anyone know if a guy called Alistair still goes, lived in charlton. 
  • Options
    Thanks @TCE and @LenGlover

@No.1 in South London (I bizarrely seem to remember reading somewhere you are in Scotland?)
    @BaileyHintonTocknell (found a mention of you living in Edinburgh but not sure if that is current)

Anyone else we should tag, please?
  • Options
    Wasn't there a Dundee Connection a decade or so back ?
    3/4 lads who caught half a dozen games a season ?

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Cheers @LenGlover - have contacted Robert and look forward to meeting up with others.  Does @soapy_jones count as an honorary member?  Is @richie8 still in Scotland?
  • Options

Yes, I met one of them randomly in Topps Tiles in Edinburgh once upon a time, and a bit more than a decade ago - I had a Charlton badge on my jacket which he spotted! Anyone in touch with them?

Just since posting this a couple of hours ago, we already have enough to field a football team - though not sure that is part of the plan ;-)
  • Options

Still in contact with a few people, one of them now lives and works in London (east London) 
  • Options
    Thanks @TCE and @LenGlover

@No.1 in South London (I bizarrely seem to remember reading somewhere you are in Scotland?)
    @BaileyHintonTocknell (found a mention of you living in Edinburgh but not sure if that is current)

Anyone else we should tag, please?
    Hi Weegie, you were not mistaken.
     I am employed in Edinburgh and had been living in Musselburgh for the last two years. I am still employed by the same company in Edinburgh, but covid protocol introduced last March, has enabled me to work remotely. Whilst that continues I will not be in Scotland. Happy to make contact as per the original post in case my situation changes and my employers require me to be based back in Edinburgh anytime in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm currently living in Dundee - no connection to the group Dundee fans from a few years ago though! 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    castrust said:

“It can feel a bit isolated sometimes as a Charlton fan in Scotland"

I feel the same and I live in Woolwich! Can we get something like this set up down here?
    Maybe join CAST if you're not already in? Only £5 for a year:
     https://www.castrust.org/join/
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    castrust said:

I feel the same and I live in Woolwich! Can we get something like this set up down here?
    Starting to think there’s more Charlton fans in Scotland than South London! Perhaps our football seems more attractive to Scots compared to the local standard? 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    castrust said:

You make a good point. How would a fan find out if there is a supporters group near them?

Maybe a list of groups with contact details could be a page on the official site? Not only will it allow fans to join an established group, I think it would encourage others to start one if there is not a group near them and they would already have a list of contacts who can help them. A simple travel group would be a great start to setting up things.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    castrust said:

Starting to think there’s more Charlton fans in Scotland than South London! Perhaps our football seems more attractive to Scots compared to the local standard? 
    Or Scotland looks more attractive to Charlton fans than London.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    castrust said:

You make a good point. How would a fan find out if there is a supporters group near them?

Maybe a list of groups with contact details could be a page on the official site? Not only will it allow fans to join an established group, I think it would encourage others to start one if there is not a group near them and they would already have a list of contacts who can help them. A simple travel group would be a great start to setting up things.
    Ive lived in north greenwich and woolwich for 6 years, and I rarely see a charlton shirt around. Ive bumped into more spanners fans in fact, got heckled by one at Morrisons Thamesmead a few weeks back when I went shopping with a Charlton jacket on!

tbh the largest gathering of Charlton fans Ive seen in my time here was after we won at Wembley in 2019. I went to the Great Harry after I got home for a beer and a burger and it was full of us. There was even a big Charlton flag put up in there, but I think the landlord is a Charlton fan? I think the landlord of the anchor and hope is Charlton too. 

I see a ton of Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea shirts of course, and it annoys that they have a football team on their doorstep but would still rather watch the prem on telly.

Theres a large migrant population in this part of London and I dont think anything below the top 5 of the prem really registers with them. With no family background in the area for them they wouldnt have a mum or dad to take them to Charlton like many on here, so youre starting from scratch with that demographic really.  Perhaps the club could do more to promote itself to the locals. 

I know we have FFAF but that really just gives Charlton fans a chance to bring mates who support other teams along for a game. 
  • Options
    'Massive' contingent in the North West if we could get ourselves organised :)
  • Options

The Dundee lot were around in the late 80's...I travelled down on the overnight bus a few times with them when I lived in Kinross..

I am sure they were connected to Charlton as one was at uni in Brighton and witnessed the 7-1 thrashing from them, then they were hooked.

Didn't they arrange a POTY award at selhurst on the pitch and when they turned up the club said they knew nothing about it.
  • Options
    'Massive' contingent in the North West if we could get ourselves organised :)
    Shouldn’t that read Sheffield .... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Talking of Scottish fans, does anyone know if a guy called Alistair still goes, lived in charlton. 

- Think you mean Alastair Allen? (Loud when under the influence). If so, the answer is I haven't seen or heard him at a game for a few years now. He still lives down by the station as I understand it but I haven't seen him for two or three years and he was always about in Charlton...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I read somewhere that Jamie Fraser was a Charlton supporter. Not sure whether that’s true or not.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I read somewhere that Jamie Fraser was a Charlton supporter. Not sure whether that’s true or not.
    The only Jamie Fraser I know of is the fictional character in Outlander. Do you mean the actor or someone else?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Cardinal Sin said: in
    DA9 said:

- Think you mean Alastair Allen? (Loud when under the influence). If so, the answer is I haven't seen or heard him at a game for a few years now. He still lives down by the station as I understand it but I haven't seen him for two or three years and he was always about in Charlton...
    I didn’t know his surname, but a regular back then, dark hair, sounds like him after a beer, good bloke, funny with it 
  • Options
    I'm currently living in Dundee - no connection to the group Dundee fans from a few years ago though! 
    Where about in Dundee are you, what pubs do you frequent when they’re open
  • Options
    @densderry - good to hear the true origins.

You're v welcome if you and pals want to sign-up for the Scotland group - check the article in opening post, or drop me a DM. Quite a few of us travel regularly to games. I'm assuming you're still based up here?

PS We lost 7-0 at Brighton, 7-1 was a few years earlier away to Luton...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @densderry - good to hear the true origins.

You're v welcome if you and pals want to sign-up for the Scotland group - check the article in opening post, or drop me a DM. Quite a few of us travel regularly to games. I'm assuming you're still based up here?

PS We lost 7-0 at Brighton, 7-1 was a few years earlier away to Luton...
    yes we are based up here, and always have been, we’re all Dundee born and bred, there was a saltire flag above us at Wembley, I’ll take it was you guys, I’ll give you a shout next time we’re travelling, but the west coast line runs different from ours for trains and airports we use are Edinburgh or Aberdeen, and on a rare occasion the Dundee one