Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should go

I am still a Lee Bowyer fan even though his player positioning is baffling to say the least and must try the patience of every LB supporter, so who do you think
we could do without for the second half of the season to free up the salary cap, for me they are:
Omar Bogle. probably one of the worst players to step out at the Valley
Ben Watson, decent player in his day but to slow and wayward passing
Dylan Levitt, seems a decent youngster but does not fit into our style of football
Alex Gilby, 50/50 on this one
Erin Oztumer, I like Ozzy but we have better in Williams and Maddison
The one player I would not let go is George Lapslie, I would Play him at CDM, with his energy and passion he would master the position in no time.

Comments

• Options
    No chance on a couple of them. 

Lapslie, Oshilaja and Levitt will go I reckon, provided we get the cover in for those positions. 

Gilbey won't go but should IMO, he looks completely pants, Watson isn't going anywhere either
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think Levitt WOULD fit really well with our style of football! We knock it around the back and are begging for someone who can get it to our more advanced players accurately

Gilbey doesn't fit at all. Bogle's lost it up top and needs a sports psychologist (or, a kinder manager than Bowyer). Watson's legs have gone but he can do a job one game in four. 
  • Options
    Certainly dont see us moving on a player we've only just signed... I know we did it under the Roland era but for me its worse than subbing a sub!!

Levitt, has a stay of execution because of the situation with having two loan players injured

Lapslie and Oztumer wont be seen in a Charlton shirt again, the latter really disappoints me given how he's done so well at this level for Peterborough / Walsall

I'm very surprised with our stance over Oshilaja, if he's not going to get in ahead of Pratley then he needs to be let go with someone else brought in who can

Go back to rotating Pratley / Watson, we'd surely get more out of both of them as they'd each be fresher???
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Levitt, Oshilaja, Bogle and Gilbey for me. As said above,  Gilbey just doesn’t fit in.

Doughty as well - only because he won’t sign a new deal. Might as well cash in now rather than ending up with nothing. 
  • Options
    I read that as 'move Purrington to CB', which actually worked really well for half an hour against Sunderland, only for Bowyer to change it and us to lose all our impetus
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I read that as 'move Purrington to CB', which actually worked really well for half an hour against Sunderland, only for Bowyer to change it and us to lose all our impetus
    I'm surprised he didn't get a game there when we had Famewo and Pearce out injured. Like Deji I think it's weird he hasn't been picked after moving Maatsen to midfield. 
  • Options
    We've got to be ruthless, but decisions have got to be thought through we don't want to end up regretting the decisions we make.
  • Options
    Is pratley out for Accrington game, if so will he put Gunter or Deji at CB with Mathews and Maasten as full backs ?
  • Options
    Is pratley out for Accrington game, if so will he put Gunter or Deji at CB with Mathews and Maasten as full backs ?
    Yeah he's suspended for three games after being sent off against Hull

Bowyer said after the game that Deji will get his opportunity (didnt seem happy about having to do so), as a result wouldnt be surprised if we see Gunter CB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He said Deji will get his chance so I suspect Deji to start. Gunter right back and hopefully Maatsen left back and not Matthews again
  • Options
    If getting rid of Oztumer, Lapslie, Oshilaja and Levitt allowed us to bring in 2 that would improve us brilliant.

I don't think Bogle or Gilbey will go, I actually don't think think either of them should either.

What will anoy me is if Bowyer chooses to let someone like Williams go to gamble on someone else.  
  • Options
    Williams isn’t going anywhere. What’s he on 6k? Can’t see why he would go elsewhere for a third of that. Will probably have to take a cut in the summer but not before that. 
  • Options
    I can’t believe people think we’ll get rid of players we signed 3-5 months ago. It’s not going to happen. 

Whether or not we signed some of these players due to previous owners or wage cap, they deserve more time than 3 months to prove themselves, even if they’ve not performed outstandingly in recent times. 
  • Options
    We would be mad to get rid of Lapslie . 
  • Options
    I think gilbey needs time to settle but because of the cap, can we afford to give him time? On that basis, I would move him on.

the problem with a high turn over of players is that any gilbey replacement may also need time to settle and might not hit the ground running.

I would move bogle on and call back Davison if needed.

alfie to go if he won’t sign and bring in the boteham wood guy. I wouldn’t see him as a starter but more of an impact sub to run at pace at a tiring defence
  • Options
    Williams isn’t going anywhere. What’s he on 6k? Can’t see why he would go elsewhere for a third of that. Will probably have to take a cut in the summer but not before that. 
    I think if he goes, it could be on loan to the championship.

That's chump change to most of them and he is, what ever people say about him, highly regarded in the game. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's chump change to most of them and he is, what ever people say about him, highly regarded in the game. 
    Fair point, they could definitely afford it. Still be surprised if any Championship club has looked at him and think his form over the last 2 years is worth a punt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The very worst thing about this cap is the way it encourages supporters to want to move on players who haven't set the world alight in three months. There's people having a go at Alfie Doughty on another thread for a lack of loyalty, and then you get posts like this looking to boot out players who have just joined us for new ones. One of them signed a three year deal! Also, if you think Bogle is one of the worst players to step out at The Valley then you are either very new or very blind. The bloke has struggled but he's tried and he's contributed to our play, particularly earlier in the season. There's a reason Chuks looks so dangerous when he comes on (7 substitute goals) and part of it is because for all he hardly looks like scoring Bogle has occupied and worn out defenders. Hopefully now we have Schwartz Bogle will slip back in the pecking order a bit but people treating our players like they're just numbers on a sheet to be chucked out if they don't perform at a top level in their first 10 games is actually really unpleasant. We've never been that club and I really hope that's not what we start to become. We've suffered so much with Roland's revolving door of loans and short-term deals, it would be nice if players actually got a chance to settle and develop.
    Lee, is that you? You don't actually believe that tosh about Bogle starting as he wears out defenders and leaves Aneke with easy pickings do you. The reason Aneke has done better than Bogle this season, particularly as a sub is because he's simply a better footballer.

To be fair I do agree with you generally on Bogle, he's been very poor but no way near as bad as some make out. The first couple months of the season he was an ok league 1 striker, held it up fairly well and although he rarely looked like scoring, wasn't so bad. 

• Options
    I think gilbey needs time to settle but because of the cap, can we afford to give him time? On that basis, I would move him on.

the problem with a high turn over of players is that any gilbey replacement may also need time to settle and might not hit the ground running.

I would move bogle on and call back Davison if needed.

alfie to go if he won’t sign and bring in the boteham wood guy. I wouldn’t see him as a starter but more of an impact sub to run at pace at a tiring defence
    Yes! Of course we can. Do people think that the cap means that at the end of the season the club explodes or something? The cap means there's all the more reason to give players time, because you can't afford to make as many rash decisions with players as you previously could. Previously you could just keep signing players until one stuck, assuming you had the money, but now you can't, so you have to work with the choices you've made. Gilbey started well, got an injury that put him out for 8 games and is now trying to get back into playing in a new team that has changed its style and is lacking cohesion due to other injuries. Despite that people would kick him out after he's played 10 games for the club because there's apparently some massive panic to get promoted instantly or the world will end. It really is nuts the way people are happy to see a player run out of the club after playing a total of 688 minutes in the league

• Options
    How has Oztumer been getting on whilst out in loan? Really disappointed he never made it with us, was very excited when we signed him. 
  • Options
    The very worst thing about this cap is the way it encourages supporters to want to move on players who haven't set the world alight in three months. There's people having a go at Alfie Doughty on another thread for a lack of loyalty, and then you get posts like this looking to boot out players who have just joined us for new ones. One of them signed a three year deal! Also, if you think Bogle is one of the worst players to step out at The Valley then you are either very new or very blind. The bloke has struggled but he's tried and he's contributed to our play, particularly earlier in the season. There's a reason Chuks looks so dangerous when he comes on (7 substitute goals) and part of it is because for all he hardly looks like scoring Bogle has occupied and worn out defenders. Hopefully now we have Schwartz Bogle will slip back in the pecking order a bit but people treating our players like they're just numbers on a sheet to be chucked out if they don't perform at a top level in their first 10 games is actually really unpleasant. We've never been that club and I really hope that's not what we start to become. We've suffered so much with Roland's revolving door of loans and short-term deals, it would be nice if players actually got a chance to settle and develop.
    Lee, is that you? You don't actually believe that tosh about Bogle starting as he wears out defenders and leaves Aneke with easy pickings do you. The reason Aneke has done better than Bogle this season, particularly as a sub is because he's simply a better footballer.

To be fair I do agree with you generally on Bogle, he's been very poor but no way near as bad as some make out. The first couple months of the season he was an ok league 1 striker, held it up fairly well and although he rarely looked like scoring, wasn't so bad. 

I do because it's true. Aneke is absolutely a better footballer than Bogle, no question. However, Aneke can't play every game without breaking down and he hasn't got the fitness to be dangerous throughout a match. Just look at the stats; Chuks has 7 goals coming on as a sub this season, and 0 as a starter. He started against Wigan, Ipswich, Shrewsbury and Plymouth and offered nothing, even in games that we won. Defenders were able to deal with him better because they were fresh and he tired long before they did. Even in games where he's come on for a longer period of time he hasn't really impressed; he came on after 34 minutes against Burton and didn't score. I'll be much happier when we can start a player who does more than just occupy defenders and can offer a threat himself - imagine if Schwartz is scoring goals AND we can bring Chuks on - but Bogle has a role. He doesn't just stand there watching the scoreboard waiting for it to tick over to 60 minutes so he can go off and start the Chuks party. Bogle has looked pretty low on confidence recently but Aneke looks good because he's a very decent footballer and he's coming up against defenders who have had a lot to deal with physically already, even if there's not been so much of a goal threat
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    How has Oztumer been getting on whilst out in loan? Really disappointed he never made it with us, was very excited when we signed him. 
    A small flair player that small and that flair-oriented never stood a solitary chance under Bowyer
  • Options
    Personally don't want to see anyone leave, but obviously have to balance the squad with the salary cap.

We also have a problem this season with our style of play different to last time in League One, before we had a very consistent balanced midfield diamond and an all-round forward in Taylor, we could win and retain the ball, we could overload centrally play through the thirds. 

This season it appears that we look to play back to front if our defence win it we look to find our target man early to hold it up or link up and get numbers forward on the transition when the opposition is out of balance, This has brought the best out of Aneke and works when he is on the pitch anyone else and we give it away cheaply and struggle. 

The downside of doing this is that the game bypasses our midfielders and they struggle to influence the game this has affected our midfielders who haven't been able to dictate the tempo play to there strengths like Levitt (Passing) Williams (running with the ball) and play together as a unit.

It also shows when we have dominated possession, we look lost and struggle to break down & create chances when teams defend behind the ball, Hull exploited this, knowing we can keep possession but wont hurt them we didn't have the movement and when our midfield is out of shape attacking they will get the ball to Wilks to go up against Watson & Pratley.

Overall focus is finding the right balance in midfield and working on that spine of the team.

As for the players mentioned still think all of them have more to offer even if they are limited. 

Oshaijia - I like his attitude and personality, he is physical but lacks the composure and mas made some very costly errors especially when up against a pacy forward who presses him.

Lapslie - I be disappointed because Watson & Pratley will be here for 1 more season at most and he might not be naturally defensive mid he has the stamina to be box to box and is showing his attacking ability for Mansfield is a player who is developing with more game time.

Oztumer - Is a player who plays in-between the lines and has good technical ability but we know Bowyer wants all players to get stuck in and show physical presence off the ball I think like Fosu he won't get much of a look in because of his style and size.

Bogle - Needs to focus on the basics.

Levitt - Can't play in a two, needs to be in a three and play on the diagonal to play forward needs movement ahead, needs to work on his defensive side of the game like Morgan has. 

Gilbey - Reserving judgement, more to come from him. 

Watson - Needs to be rotated play against certain opposition when there is more a physical battle, is struggling against attacking mids who have quick feet and good movement.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    How has Gilbey gone from being EFL player of the month Dec 2019 and MKs player of the year for two seasons running to people thinking we need to move him on?  Something is not right.
  • Options
    I have been going to the Valley since 1975 and yes Bogle is one of the worst I have seen he only tires the opposition out is with them laughing at his first touch, falling over and missing sitters!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Fair point, they could definitely afford it. Still be surprised if any Championship club has looked at him and think his form over the last 2 years is worth a punt. 
    Did you miss the 1st 3 months of last season?

Its in there somewhere and someone will think they are the person to get it out. 
  • Options
    I though Gilbey looked very promising before his injury.