Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tommy Docherty RIP

Former  Man U, Chelsea & Scotland manager died at the age of 92.

Comments

• RIP Tommy Docherty. Now, you were a character. What a life.
  • Sheesh.
    Another legend.
    Good innings.
    RIP
  • One of Footballs real characters - RIP
  • Proper old-fashioned football man.

RIP Tommy Doc
  • Controversial in his time but a prominent figure in the game for many decades.

RIP
  • Whenever I think of him, I think of his, "Home before the postcards" line.

RIP
  • edited December 2020
    He was a real character. RIP.
  • edited December 2020
    Stig said:
    Whenever I think of him, I think of his, "Home before the postcards" line.

RIP

Tommy Docherty was also famous for saying he'd "had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus" ....... and quipped he was the only boss sacked for falling in love.

A true character in the game. RIP

Edit: I don't know what's happened to the font size. Sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP, a real football character 
  • edited December 2020
    They were different managers, but I remember always enjoying listening to Clough and Docherty being interviewed. They lit up the game in their time.
  • RIP Tommy, proper old school character.
  • edited December 2020

RIP

Remembered by many older United fans as the manager during one of the most enjoyable periods of the club’s history.

Second well known Scottish manager to pass this week, following Jim McLean
  • RIP Doc. A real character.
  • RIP
    From Mr Brown
  • R.I.P The Doc . Early days of the Medway Branch of the supporters club had a sportsman dinner. The Doc was the main speaker 
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember you and your young, emerging Chelsea team strolling to a 3-0 win in the 4th Round of the FA Cup at The Valley during the big freeze of '63.

Then, that summer you nicked the wonderful Marvin Hinton from us for thirty five grand.

RIP Tommy.
  • its Sir Alex Ferguson's birthday today .. remember Docherty's quip about Sir Alex .. 'as a footballer he had everything .. except talent' .. R I P Tommy, you got away with a lot ((:>)
  • Great character. RIP Tommy.
  • RIP a real character as others have said. Remember in the 70's going to a QPR v Spurs game, and the Spurs fans were singing, 

Whose up Mary Brown
    Whose up Mary Brown
    Tommy Tommy Docherty

To which he got up from the sunken dug out and gave the spurs fans a big thanks, which they all cheered.
  • RIP a real character as others have said. Remember in the 70's going to a QPR v Spurs game, and the Spurs fans were singing, 

Whose up Mary Brown
    Whose up Mary Brown
    Tommy Tommy Docherty

To which he got up from the sunken dug out and gave the spurs fans a big thanks, which they all cheered.
    I remember singing that.
    RIP Tommy.

Whose up Mary Brown
    Whose up Mary Brown
    Tommy Tommy Docherty

I remember singing that.
    RIP Tommy.
    Cos he got up and acknowledged them, the Spurs fans left him alone and turned their attention on Stan Bowles instead.
  • I recently watched the full 90 minutes of the Preston NE v WBA 1954 FA Cup Final on DVD. Tommy Docherty stood out in the game and was a much better player than I expected. A ball playing midfielder and a very good passer. RIP.
  • "As one door closes, another one hits you in the face"

RIP Doc
  • edited January 2021
    He was a very sharp character.
    TBF if you ask your coach to give some of the lads extra training in the afternoon while paying a visit to his wife your days will probably be numbered.

But it wasn't just a fling for Tommy or Mrs Brown and they were together for many decades.

I loved listening to Tommy Docherty and on all accounts he was a top footballer as well as a top manager.

RIP Tommy Doc.
  • "As one door closes, another one hits you in the face"

RIP Doc

When ever I was in my Jack Dee mindset I would use this line. Never realized it was from Tommy Docherty.