Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broken TV Screen

2»

Comments

• Options
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:
    So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Anyone know how much it will cost to repair instead of replacing the whole thing and getting a new one?

Getting a new one can be difficult and time consuming, obedience school is a lot cheaper. 

On a serious note, I think it will be easier to get a new one. Always deals on these days. 

I remember someone I knew, their son smashed their tv several times with a plastic hammer playing Bob the Builder... Similar screen to yours, his dad didn't take it well, at all. 
    Nah I've not taken it well either

Are we allowed to sell the old annoying ones on the Marketplace section of CharltonLife? 
    If a 32 inch set is all you need, go down to your local supermarket. You can pick one up for about £130. 
    It will a piece of crap for £130.
    What people have to take into account is a TV is not seen by everybody as something you have to show off. It is something some people use to watch television on. Will it be a piece of crap compared to the broken 7 year old set, probably not.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:
    So my two year old Son presented me with a late Christmas present this afternoon by tipping over the TV resulting in the below screen

Anyone know how much it will cost to repair instead of replacing the whole thing and getting a new one?

Getting a new one can be difficult and time consuming, obedience school is a lot cheaper. 

On a serious note, I think it will be easier to get a new one. Always deals on these days. 

I remember someone I knew, their son smashed their tv several times with a plastic hammer playing Bob the Builder... Similar screen to yours, his dad didn't take it well, at all. 

Are we allowed to sell the old annoying ones on the Marketplace section of CharltonLife? 
    If a 32 inch set is all you need, go down to your local supermarket. You can pick one up for about £130. 
    What people have to take into account is a TV is not seen by everybody as something you have to show off. It is something some people use to watch television on. Will it be a piece of crap compared to the broken 7 year old set, probably not.
    Will it be a Smart TV for £130?
    If not, you’ll need to invest in Apple TV, firestick or similar (Android box) - assuming you want to watch Netflix etc.

• Options
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

If not, you’ll need to invest in Apple TV, firestick or similar (Android box) - assuming you want to watch Netflix etc.

I bought a new Smart tv about a month ago. It's got Apple, Now, Netflix you name it. I still haven't connected it to the internet yet. Just not interested.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:

Can he fix it? 
    I'm sure he can.
  • Options
    Anyone had experience of Hisense TVs?

Not really wanting to spend £350 on a 43 inch (given the deals at the moment), it limits my options but using the Argos website at the moment (just for ease of showing the model)

What would people's recommendations be on the three below?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7912036
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4167231
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7840098

Of course; Samsung and LG are at the top of the spectrum for TVs, but have since been wary of going for a brand just because of the name... Hence why I ask about Hisense

Had a Samsung Galaxy phone for years before the screen broke earlier in the year, changed to a Huawei P30 and havent regretted it for a second. My only frustration at the moment is the fact that Huawei now have those issues with using Google Play Services so if they carry on, any future Huawei phone wont have the usual Google Services that I like to rely on... Sorry mini rant over
  • Options

Had a Samsung Galaxy phone for years before the screen broke earlier in the year, changed to a Huawei P30 and havent regretted it for a second.

My only frustration at the moment is the fact that Huawei now have those issues with using Google Play Services so if they carry on, any future Huawei phone wont have the usual Google Services that I like to rely on... Sorry mini rant over
    Google rules the World.

Is that a good thing?

• Options
    Avoid Hisense my brother in law bought two in June and the picture isn't smooth 4k it's fine at 1080p but when displaying 4k there's screen tearing and on both the sound is often quite muffled. 

Recommend an LG if you're seriously considering a change. Their more budget range is pretty decent.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Had a Samsung Galaxy phone for years before the screen broke earlier in the year, changed to a Huawei P30 and havent regretted it for a second.

My only frustration at the moment is the fact that Huawei now have those issues with using Google Play Services so if they carry on, any future Huawei phone wont have the usual Google Services that I like to rely on... Sorry mini rant over
    Google rules the World.

Is that a good thing?

It's not Google.  They could not licence apps to Huawei because of the US Govt. ban on sales to that company.

• Options
    C’mon fess up @ForeverAddickted your misses was fed up to the back teeth with 24/7 footy on the box which got the flying boot treatment a la Fergie 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

I bought a new Smart tv about a month ago. It's got Apple, Now, Netflix you name it. I still haven't connected it to the internet yet. Just not interested.
    So how are you watching Valley Pass, @golfaddick ?
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

You can get Smart TV's for around £130-140. I've just bought a new one for the bedroom, £140 and it's even a DVD player too! Admittedly d I'd probably go a bit higher for the main one in the front room. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

You can get Smart TV's for around £130-140. I've just bought a new one for the bedroom, £140 and it's even a DVD player too! Admittedly d I'd probably go a bit higher for the main one in the front room. 
    Cool. What OS does it run?
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

Via an HDMI cable to my laptop. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Danepak said:
    Danepak said:
    SamB09 said:
    Huskaris said:

Via an HDMI cable to my laptop. 
    Fair enough. If the TV has built in Chromecast (or you had a Chromecast dongle attached) you could cast from your phone (or laptop) and avoid the cables (as long as it’s connected to the internet).
  • Options
    Anyone had experience of Hisense TVs?

Not really wanting to spend £350 on a 43 inch (given the deals at the moment), it limits my options but using the Argos website at the moment (just for ease of showing the model)

What would people's recommendations be on the three below?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7912036
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4167231
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7840098

Of course; Samsung and LG are at the top of the spectrum for TVs, but have since been wary of going for a brand just because of the name... Hence why I ask about Hisense

Had a Samsung Galaxy phone for years before the screen broke earlier in the year, changed to a Huawei P30 and havent regretted it for a second. My only frustration at the moment is the fact that Huawei now have those issues with using Google Play Services so if they carry on, any future Huawei phone wont have the usual Google Services that I like to rely on... Sorry mini rant over
    I have a Hisense 55" 4k TV and, for me, it does pretty much everything all of the far more expensive brands do for considerably less outlay. Have had it about 5 years now with zero problems. I've no idea about refresh rates and all the technical stuff but it works fine for TV, streaming Amazon/Netflix, etc. and a bit of gaming occasionally. Loads of hdmi's, USB inputs, etc. 

My set does not have Bluetooth for headphones so I recently invested in a transmitter for about £15, job done.

Ok, like a lot of thin teles the sound quality might not be great (it's still not bad), and it might not be as "stylish" looking when it's turned off as some brands but it's just a tele. I'm sure if you compared the specs with LG, Sony or whoever you'd be paying several £100 more for similar but I'd have another Hisense one. 

You pays yer money...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Oggy Red said:

Google rules the World.

Is that a good thing?

It's not Google.  They could not licence apps to Huawei because of the US Govt. ban on sales to that company.

Not what I meant at all.

Google has this monopoly on almost every function marketable on the internet .......... nearly everything goes through Google tracking your every move. 
    Is that a good thing?

• Options
    Danepak said:
    There’s also Samsung’s The Frame.
    Available in 32 inch.
    A piece of art, when the TV is switched off.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/lso3tb-32-inch-the-frame-full-hd-smart-tv-charcoal-black-qe32ls03tbkxxu/

we've just got one of these....44" one, was about £800 I believe, even the 'frame' around it was an extra £80.

have to admit though it looks bloody amazing and is a superb TV (not sure it's worth the price though
  • Options
    That's a nice dining room you have, @Elthamaddick    :smile:

• Options
    Get your son a paper round and let him pay to replace it...start them young and all that.

:wink: haha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    That's a nice dining room you have, @Elthamaddick    :smile:

Indeed....is that the Tarn in the background?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Heads up @ForeverAddickted there might be a new 50’’ telly (got a bit of a border round the picture) going cheap @Sillybilly 😉
  • Options
    Every brand had good and bad models, so annoying when people say x brand is rubbish, well it may be if you bought x brands bottom range model. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    You can get a 40” full HD JVC one for £220 at curry’s. I got one 6 months ago and no regrets, great tv for the price. If you want to turn it smart spend £30 on a chromecast.