Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton v Plymouth | Boxing Day 2020

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
Today we welcome to The Valley old adversaries in Plymouth Argyle.
Back in 1960 we played Argyle twice in the Christmas fixtures, winning 6-4 and then losing the return game by the same score. Twenty goals in 2 games was a feast for fans but a nightmare for managers!

Not really expecting to see 10 goals in today's game - just the 3 points would be welcome.

Lee Bowyer: "“Plymouth are a good side. They had a good start to the season because they’ve got players up top that can hurt you. But they’re leaking goals at the moment, so we have to exploit that.” 

We've just got our long term absentees missing - Albie Morgan and Little Smyth return to the squad.

Charlton: Amos, Matthews, Gunter, Pearce (c), Maatsen, Watson, Forster-Caskey, Pratley, Williams, Washington, Aneke.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Gilbey, Bogle, Morgan, Maddison, Smyth.

Supporters will be able to watch Charlton league games this season on Valley Pass Live:
https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1

Hosted by Scott Minto and joined by guest pundit Alan Curbishley for the pre-match broadcast which begins at 2.25pm.

Comments

• Options
    Not a journey i would want to make on Christmas Day. Could work for Charlton ,Plymouth players missed being at home with family or could go against them long journey and still unable to see family until 27th dec.

The next few hours will give us the answer.
  • Options
    Lineup square
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Pretty decent team... What can we moan about this afternoon pre-match? ;)

Subs will be a bit shit too with Oshilaja the only defensive option
  • Options
    Oggy did your dad Pete go down to Plymouth that Chrismas with Les and co.

Send him my wishes.
  • Options
    Strange team, 532? 
  • Options
    DO NOT PISS ON MY CHIPS CHARLTON!

Up the Addicks!
  • Options

I'll start. Pratley and Watson in the centre of midfield by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Strange team, 532? 
    Yeah with both Gunter and Matthews I'm not sure where Pratley will line up

Having him and Watson in Midfield is my only slight gripe
  • Options
    Interesting line up. Let’s hope we go for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bows might be tempted to bring on AMB and play him as a sweeper 
    Just hope he doesnt have any Sandpaper... We all know how the Aussies love a bit of ball tampering ;)
  • Options
    WTF is that team. Its basically how we finished off against Swindon. Is Bowyer trying to prove a point? 
  • Options
    My bet on Madison getting a couple of goals today isnt coming off then 🙄
  • Options
    Strange team, 532? 

Maybe Gunter playing CB but that’s a mistake in my opinion as Pratley looked better than him there. I think it could be a diamond with Pratley occasionally dropping in at the back to make a 5. 
  • Options
    Disappointed that Maddison been dropped 
  • Options
    WTF is that team. Its basically how we finished off against Swindon. Is Bowyer trying to prove a point? 
    Morgan over Matthews would have been my team. 
  • Options
    Strange team, 532? 

Maybe Gunter playing CB but that’s a mistake in my opinion as Pratley looked better than him there. I think it could be a diamond with Pratley occasionally dropping in at the back to make a 5. 
    Agreed, I also question why Oshilaja isnt starting at this stage

I know people dont rate him but put a Centre-Back at Centre-Back if it can be helped
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Just dont get the constant need to either play a RB or Pratley at CB why are we not playing Pearce and Oshilaja at CB and stop putting square pegs in round holes, need Inniss back ASAP 
  • Options
    Strange team, 532? 

Agreed, I also question why Oshilaja isnt starting at this stage

I know people dont rate him but put a Centre-Back at Centre-Back if it can be helped
    I agree, Pratley done a decent job but Deji has to be our second best fit CB. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Today we stand a proper chance of winning and why? Because Gilbey and Bogle do not start. Simples.
  • Options
    Nice to see Aneke start at least.

I am still miffed at the man management of Williams. Why was he dropped, and didn't even come on last game just to start this one?

Also why no Maddison he has really looked like he is getting to his best last couple of games and now all that momentum has been stopped. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    My bet on Madison getting a couple of goals today isnt coming off then 🙄
    Leave it till the second half, him and Bogle will be the impact today
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Here we go again.....more bewildering changes. Great that Williams & Aneke start but why is Maddison on the bench & Gunter  at centre half...again !!  He did when he was first drafted into the back 4 but the last few games he was in there we lost against Burton & MK Don's. FFS  - play a recognised centre half at centre half. I bet if Bows was manager instead of Curbs in the late 90's he'd play Steve Brown as goalkeeper !! 

Gah  !!!
  • Options
    Nice to see Aneke start at least.

I am still miffed at the man management of Williams. Why was he dropped, and didn't even come on last game just to start this one?

Also why no Maddison he has really looked like he is getting to his best last couple of games and now all that momentum has been stopped. 
    He didn’t come on last game because Bows went defensive as we all know. Agree with your point though, at least he’s getting the chance to impress today. 
  • Options
    Starting Chucks and JW smacks of trying to get a goal in the first 30 mins then shut up shop 😁😁😁
  • Options
    Delighted to see Morgan and Smyth returning to the matchday squad. 
  • Options
    A better looking team, though surprised to see both RBs starting. Got no idea how we'll line up

442 with Pratley at CB Gunter at RB and Matthews at RM
    442 with Gunter at CB and Pratley in midfield
    352 with Gunter at right CB and Matthews at RWB

• Options
    And looking at the starting 11 we have just 4 attacking players.......and that is if you count JFC as "attacking".

Good job no fans are allowed in because if we go 1 nil down I'd be booing  !!
  • Options
    Perhaps he has shoehorned Gunter back into CB because he thinks we miss the dynamic duo of Watson & Pratley in midfield.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!