Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton trivia quiz for a bit of fun

Nothing serious, but for those of you who fancy it, my mate put together a little Charlton quiz for me a few weeks ago, we did it over Zoom.

thought I would share it with you all.  

I’ll log back in with the answers before I go to bed to give you all a bit of time to answer.  Obviously, you’re gonna see other people’s answers so maybe test yourself and just get a bit of paper and write down your answers rather than refreshing/logging back into the thread.  As I said, it’s just a bit of fun so not looking for a winner 

Round 1 (Total: 16pts)

1. The final day of the 2012/13 season saw Charlton sign-off the season with a 4-1 home win against Bristol City. Which Frenchman scored a brace for Charlton? (1pt)

2. Between the time Derek Hales left Charlton in 1976 and the next time he finished top goal scorer the after re-joining the addicks 1979/80 season, there were two players who finished top goal scorer – can you name them (2pts)

3. In 1992 Charlton sold Rob Lee to Newcastle. Which Newcastle player - who would later go on to have a brief spell at Charlton – is said to have first alerted Kevin Keegan to his ability? (1pt)  

4. Charlton won promotion to Division 1 in 1985/86. 

a) Please tell me the 2 teams that were promoted with them. (Hint: they played against one in the final game of the season). (2pts)

b) They won 4 of their last 5 games that season – 2 were against the same team – a team that would finish bottom of the league. Name the team. (1pt)

5. Which player made his Charlton debut in against Northampton Town in February 1965? He played 95 league matches before being bought by a future England manager in May of 1967 when he moved to another London club for a fee of £50,000. (1pt)

6. Which player scored a hat-trick - his first goals for his new club - against Charlton in a 4-0 victory for Liverpool at Selhurst Park on 11 April 1990? (1pt)

7. Following the sacking of Iain Dowie in mid-November 2006, Les Reed took charge for a spell that would turn out to last only 6 weeks. He managed only one league victory in that time and was knocked out of the league cup by a league 2 side. Please name both opponents (2pts).

8. To the nearest 000 what is the capacity of the East Stand at the Valley. Is it

a) 6,000

b) 7,000

c) 8,000

(1pt)

9. What was unique (or not unique) about the two players that left Charlton on free transfers for Cambridge in 1986? (2pts). Which defender did Charlton sign from Cambridge in 1993 for £100,000? (1pt) (3pts)

10. After being relegated from division 2 at the end of the 1971/72 season, Charlton began their division 3 campaign with a 3-2 defeat away to Walsall, but can you tell me what song became the new UK no.1 single that weekend. Was it

a) ‘Clair’ by Gilbert O’ Sullivan

b) ‘Metal Guru’ by T-Rex

c) ‘Schools out’ by Alice Cooper

(1pt)

Comments

• Options
    Round 2

• Options
    Round 3

• Options

Round 4 (Total 15pts)

1. Lee Bowyer spent most of hiplaying career at the highest level that involved playing in a CL semi-final whilst at Leeds. Who were his final 2 clubs? (2pts)

2. Which striker joined Charlton on loan in 1997 (2nd half of the 1996/97 season) from a premier league club? (He had begun his career at Charlton in the late 80s) (1pt)

3. Kevin Lisbie scored a hat-trick against Liverpool in a 3-2 victory at the Valley in September 2003. Name the Charlton players that got the assists that day (3pts).

4. Which player upon his arrival at Charlton in 31 July 2009on a free transfer was given the no.35 shirt – a number that matched his age at that point? (1pt)

5. Who knocked Charlton out of the FA cup in 2006 at the quarter-final stage? The team would go on to reach the final of the UEFA cup that season. (1pt)

6. Charlton began the 1994/95 season with a 5-2 defeat against a team that had just been relegated from the PL and ended the season with a defeat against a team that had been promoted the previous season as champions of Div2 (and would finish 2nd in Division 1 in this season). Name both teams (2pts)

7. Charlton hit 4 goals in back to back league games in January 1996 – a season where they would eventually reach the play-offs. The 2nd of these games was at home to West Brom, the other was a 4-3 away win - who was it against? (1pt) (clue it was a Sunday) (1pt)

8. Which player did Charlton sell to Sheffield Wednesday for a fee of £250,000 in 1991? A product of the Charlton youth system he was nicknamed ‘Flash’ (1pt)

9. In 1987 Charlton returned to Wembley for the first time since the 1947 FA Cup final as they reached the full Members Cup Final. They lost 1-0 to a 2nd division side. Can you please name that team and the goal scorer who would go on to win the PL with that same club (in a 2nd spell with the club) (2pts)

10. Who was the first player from outside the British Isles to win the player of the year as decided by the official Charlton athletic supporters club. The first winner was Paul Went in 1970 and the most recent Dillon Phillips. (1pt)