Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Edrich RIP

2»

Comments

• Two fine Surrey cricketers have left us and I say that as a Kent man.

Edrich was a fine opening bat, a member of the elite test triple century club and good enough to be recalled, alongside Brian Close, to shore up England's batting against the Windies in 1976.

Robin Jackman wore his heart on his sleeve and was a decent bowler who could bat and deservedly got his opportunity for England eventually, albeit in controversial circumstances, in the Windies in 1980-81 and performed well against a strong West Indian side.

RIP Two fine cricketers.
  • Used to watch Edrich and Compton at Lords.   Awesome pair
    Me too.  But I think it was Bill Edrich who shared some fabulous partnerships with Denis Compton.  Bill was a cousin of John, 20 years his senior.
  • RIP. Part of my earliest memories of cricket. 
  • Mr Dependable .. for how many years did he and Micky Stewart open for Surrey (and often for England) .. R I P
  • I remember the outstanding John Edrich playing for England--watching Test cricket on BBC during school holidays. He always seemed a redoubtable batsman who stood up to the fastest bowlers with great courage and understated skill. Compare him to the lightweights of today--who matches his tenacity?Would not sell his wicket cheaply.He had the ability to forget the last ball if he had played and missed or been beaten by a good delivery.It didn't affect him and he must have been hard to play against.RIP John and thank you for the introduction to the wonderful game of cricket.
  • RIP

I remember him opening with Brian Close when close to 40 years old in 1976 and facing the ferocious West Indies pace attack. 
  • Used to watch Edrich and Compton at Lords.   Awesome pair
    Me too.  But I think it was Bill Edrich who shared some fabulous partnerships with Denis Compton.  Bill was a cousin of John, 20 years his senior.

Oops.  Of course you are right.   Old age getting to me.   Thanks for the pickup