Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• lolwray said:
    Ok should I get up at stupid o clock tomorrow or do I look at my phone at 7.30 ish to see that root and Lawrence are still together? 
    It would take real dedication and indeed masochism to get up at 4 tomorrow. By the time I get up, C4 will probably be showing The Simpsons!
  • edited February 2021
  • AshBurton said:
    A lot of people that are still undecided about whether or not to take the vaccine would not be encouraged if the government made it compulsory. If anything it would cause the opposite. 

There should be a lot more information given out to people about the benefits and the risks of the vaccines so people can make their minds up. I wouldn't expect the typical man on the street to pour through data of trial results. 
    Yes yes, but do you think we will hold out till the lunch interval? 
    Maybe England's best hope is to give the Indian bowlers the vaccine tonight and hope they suffer side affects tomorrow!
  • AshBurton said:
    A lot of people that are still undecided about whether or not to take the vaccine would not be encouraged if the government made it compulsory. If anything it would cause the opposite. 

There should be a lot more information given out to people about the benefits and the risks of the vaccines so people can make their minds up. I wouldn't expect the typical man on the street to pour through data of trial results. 
    Yes yes, but do you think we will hold out till the lunch interval? 
    Maybe England's best hope is to give the Indian bowlers the vaccine tonight and hope they suffer side affects tomorrow!
    Yeah their arms might be straight when they bowl 
  • Insomnia again means I'm watching when I'd much rather I wasn't....
  • My eldest sons favourite player is Dan Lawrence , thankfully , I said I’d get up and watch till he was out with him , so expecting to be back in bed before long .

• edited February 2021
    Lawrence nutmegged ffs coming down to Ashwins first ball 
    66-4
  • Where are all the posters? I was expecting to wake up to a detailed account of how things were going.
  • Where are all the posters? I was expecting to wake up to a detailed account of how things were going.
    Morning mate. 
    Seriously nothing positive to post.
  • Sponsored links:

Morning mate. 
    Seriously nothing positive to post.
    Agree. Root has the chance to improve his average and that’s about it.
  • almost surprised it’s still going when I woke and checked score! Was hoping it was over and could stay in bed. Ahhhh well, no alarm tomorrow! 
  • Might be heading back to bed in 5 mins. 
  • This number 9 can bat!
  • 28 off 12. We will win by tea at this rate!
  • This number 9 can bat!
    What odds that he would have been our top score before the innings?
  • Ah well, at least I don't need to worry about getting distracted from my work this morning.
  • Moeen needs 11 off 5 balls to score the fastest 50 in Test match history!
  • Sorry 11 off 4. Now needs 7 off 3. But I might be wrong!!!
  • Moeen needs 11 off 5 balls to score the fastest 50 in Test match history!
    Ahhhh shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    And he's out anyway for 43 off 18

England lose by just 317 runs
  • The run chase is on >:)

160: Ashwin or Axar Patel take at least 5 wickets 

Good call Sam.
  • So, having listened to tms podcast and Vaughan’s whinging, I do understand that before this series started, to be 1-1 going into the 3rd test would have be considered a success, so I guess we can’t be too miffed. 
  • No I didn't get up.....zzzzzzzzzx 
  • edited February 2021
    The cold facts about our batting this winter - against Sri Lanka and India, Root has scored 723 runs. The next top is Sibley with 184. We couldn't even muster 300 runs in total in this match. Sibley, Burns and Lawrence have averaged in the last couple of months of 26.29, 14.50 and 21.71 respectively. Burns has 78 runs in his last 8 innings. 

Crawley and Bairstow are both in the 17 for the next Test. I would play them both with Crawley opening and Bairstow at 6. I actually prefer Burns to Sibley for two reasons - Burns is left handed and I also think that he is also more likely to get runs when conditions are difficult whereas Sibley will get big runs when the ball is doing nothing but is too easy to work out otherwise. But Burns is batting like a rabbit in head lights at the moment. Neither of the two omitted would be forgotten - Burns would be the back up opener and Lawrence's time will come again. 

Yes that will mean you know who at 3. The issue I have is that Pope is, batting at 6, getting dragged into the realms of mediocrity because he isn't being permitted to bat in a way that his skillset will allow him to flourish. At the moment he's getting 20s and out - look at that shot he played today, I'm absolutely convinced that he wouldn't have played that in the first innings of this match batting at 3.

Batting at 6, or even 7 if we use a nightwatchman, isn't a proper batting position for a class bat. And if I were Pope I would be asking myself why the likes of Lawrence get the better gig especially as the runs he's getting at the moment batting at 6 isn't even enough to justify his place in the side. If he gets another 50 runs in total in the next Test and is dropped as a result, will he think that he's had a fair crack? After all, Denly got dropped for achieving more and he wasn't being "shielded" batting in the lower middle order.

We cannot go into an Ashes series with Burns, Sibley and Crawley as our top 3 as Root will be in, more often than not, with the new ball less than 10 overs old. If Root is happy doing that then he should be the one batting at 3 anyway which would then allow Pope to bat at 4. But we know that Root won't bat at 3 come what may.
  • C4 are reshowing this morning in full. Feeling quietly confident that Root and Lawrence can make a match winning partnership 
    What about the Simpsons? 
  • I see Moeen has opted to return home to be with his family and will miss the last two Tests. Fully understand the reasons why he has felt the need to do this but will this signal the end for him as a Test cricketer?
  • C4 are reshowing this morning in full. Feeling quietly confident that Root and Lawrence can make a match winning partnership 
    What about the Simpsons? 
    Homer was bowled by Ashwin for 6, Marge caught at Silly Point for 3
    What about the Simpsons? 
    Homer was bowled by Ashwin for 6, Marge caught at Silly Point for 3

How did Mr Burns do?