Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    Hoping this is the last time we lose a promising youngster due to contract being run down 
    Let’s hope so. Also so disappointing how these players actually play less than 30-40 times for first team before leaving. 
  • Options
    It's a shame he has been injured all season so any fee is good when you think he probably wasn't going to play this season , and be leaving for nothing in the summer.
  • Options
    Wish him well but a strange move that, perhaps the only club to offer him a nice increased wage packet, but Stoke, don’t get it as a step up albeit Championship, oh well see you later Alfie hope your injury doesn’t impact upon your best asset. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Sure you could make clauses in contracts to cover these incidents?

What's happened when other players have gone to jail?

We had to get visiting orders.
  • Options
    Yeah bye.
  • Options
    Sorry to see another youngster leave so soon after Lapslie.  Always gave 100% , not sure Stoke is that good a move for him  .
  • Options
    No wonder he's gone there,  the likes of Morgan Fox are his competition .

He's millwall so fcuk him , I liked him as a player and expect a decent career but if it doesn't pan out well then no tears shed here
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    With his injury, it does seem to have been a bit forgotten by everyone that post Covid in the Championsip, our main game plan seemed to be kicking the ball infront of this 19 year old kid for him to run onto the ball, or just pass it to him and hope he can take his man on, and yet with how obvious this became of what we wanted to do, he still caused problems. The Leeds game was laughable in that there was literally nothing else we had to offer, yet he still broke through a few times.

This was at a level in the Championship that Aneke really didn't do much at, and this 19 year old coming back from being on loan at Bromley and looked far more dangerous than Chuks did, who himself is now seemingly by far our best player at this level in League One

I obviously don't blame Sandgaard for him going, but I think questions need to be asked internally at more than just Roland at the self-scouting for this kid to be shifted off to non-league with this much talent, to be in a situation where he can force a move basically 15 games or so after making his first appearance, like Diego Poyet was able to do. Why can't we spot our own talent before they make a 1st team appearance to lock them down? 

We're lucky that Albie has started off a bit more inconsistent to his career, as if he was as good as he is now, right from the start he might have done the same, after he as well, got loaned out to non league a year ago when he's clearly better than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What do you expect, it's Stoke.
  • Options
    By selling to Bet365 at such a low price I hope that we have hedged our bets with a sell on percentage and an appearance clause.
    The agent for Doughty, who was apparently also the agent for  Phillips should be identified and subject to a Prague style portfolio. We have to have a way of stopping the pariahs who prey on the uncommercial youngsters and their parents.
    Even more respect for Joe Gomez and his parents now.
    I don't blame the agent on this one.  Blame Southall and his crew of nobheads who wasted crucial time bullshitting us all and not concentrating on football matters like contracts for expiring players.  Contrast this with Sandgaard's arrival....

If we had made a proper offer he would probably have stayed but at the time he got injured we were an absolute basket case so why wouldn't he be interested in doubling or trebling his salary?  Not to mention joining a team pushing to get to the Premier League

It's quite simple really
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Well at least I can stop asking his old man at work to get him to stay, he’ll be pleased!! All the best to the lad, he’s a spanner due to family but Charlton at heart. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Having a go at Doughty over this transfer?
    Seriously?
    It looks to me like everybody in the saga is getting a decent amount of what they want from the deal, including Charlton due to the circumstances surrounding everything.
    What exactly is Doughty supposed to have done wrong, and most particularly what has he done that is so unusual?
    I for one am pleased things have happened now rather than when his contract expires.
    There seems to be two schools of thought about players leaving.

1. You have a short career go and make your money while you can, good on you (i.e. Elliot)

or 

2. You money grabbing mercenary, look what the club did for you and now you bugger off at the first bigger offer (i.e. Alfie Doughty)

• Options
    That's Rob Elliot.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    It is probably impossible to predict what sort of career he will have. There is evidence to suggest a very good one but injuries can take a toll and some players develop differently. If we got £1m it was probably as good as was possible in the circumstances. Didn't Stoke have a centre half they could loan us?
    £650k apparently.
    The 21yr old from who has played about 14 games in league 2 with Exeter is £1m.
    650k is not a good deal for us I’m afraid.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    It is probably impossible to predict what sort of career he will have. There is evidence to suggest a very good one but injuries can take a toll and some players develop differently. If we got £1m it was probably as good as was possible in the circumstances. Didn't Stoke have a centre half they could loan us?
    £650k apparently.
    The 21yr old from who has played about 14 games in league 2 with Exeter is £1m.
    650k is not a good deal for us I’m afraid.

In the circumstances it is a cracking deal - £650k now or a development fee in the summer - and Doughty unavailable to us for the rest of the season in both options (he won't play again this season).

All things are relative. 
  • Options
    TS told me he wasnt going anywhere when he took over the club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am labouring under the assumption that there is a sell on.
  • Options
    As a young long term prospect sorry to see him go, but that has been Charlton`s way for decades. But this has been tempered by the fact he would not have played for the team again this season. He was not going to sign a contract extension in the summer so it is good that the club got some money for him and thus reduced the losses the new owner will have to cover.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    With the greatest respect to TS he made lots of bold statements when he came in. That's how he operated.  Saying Alfie wouldn't go anywhere was naiive. We have to operate within the salary cap and what would have happened if we'd tried offering him silly money. We're then trying to compete against a side that I'd imagine offered significantly more than we ever could in a higher division meant he was never going to sign. Alfie's agent would have also made sure of that. 
  • Options
    I’m sure it’s been said but I think the kid has a limited shelf life unless he plays full time at left back.  Again, who can blame him for taking the cash. 
  • Options
    Will look out for his future endeavours. Not a big loss really. He's good but didn't stop us getting relegated. We need a team, not a bunch of talented individuals. Bon voyage Alfie.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So ex Millwall player Scott Barron is Alfie’s agent. He’s also JFC’s agent so expect more fun and games if we want to offer him a new deal. 
  • Options
    Because of the salary cap, isn’t this likely to happen more often?

Chuks next.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I’m sure it’s been said but I think the kid has a limited shelf life unless he plays full time at left back.  Again, who can blame him for taking the cash. 
    How much has he reportedly been offered?  I cannot imagine him being on too much with us.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Naive.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    By selling to Bet365 at such a low price I hope that we have hedged our bets with a sell on percentage and an appearance clause.
    The agent for Doughty, who was apparently also the agent for  Phillips should be identified and subject to a Prague style portfolio. We have to have a way of stopping the pariahs who prey on the uncommercial youngsters and their parents.
    Even more respect for Joe Gomez and his parents now.
    Great point, would love to know who the agents are that have been screwing Charlton over, and who they represent at the club at the moment.

You could almost predict then who is next on their ‘cash in’ list.