Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembering the greatest comeback of all time

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
63' | 5-1 down with 10 men
90' | 7-6 winners! On this day in 1957, the Addicks pulled off the greatest comeback of all time against @htafc at The Valley! #cafc

Yes, I was one of the many millions who claim to have been there   :)

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fe05dc0cc45c/remember-the-greatest-comeback-of-all-time

Comments

• Options
    And we complain about conceding an equaliser in the 90th min!! ;)
  • Options
    What I can't understand is how the attendance that day isn't recorded as a world record, never to be beaten.

I was born 7 months earlier and claim to have been there (because I could have been). For others to disprove ;-)
  • Options
    I was there, born in '78, some doing. 
  • Options
    I wasn't born, but I do remember that stand.
  • Options
    Always been gutted that my first game was just two months later......(not sure who it was against)......so I missed it by just a few weeks.
  • Options
    I played in two strange games in terms of scores. In one game we were losing 5-0, pulled back to 5-5, only to lose 6-5 with the last kick. That was gutting, especially as I missed a good chance at 5-5.

In another game, we drew 6-6 with each team scoring alternately. I think I was in the team that levelled up six times, but I'm not 100% sure.

I also recall a game where we took the lead within 30 seconds of the kick off but lost 11-1 or, maybe, 12 or 13-1.
  • Options
    My dad (reputedly) left with 30 mins to go as did the rest of the crowd so in reality it was only the away supporters there after 90 mins (supposedly) 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    My dad (reputedly) left with 30 mins to go as did the rest of the crowd so in reality it was only the away supporters there after 90 mins (supposedly) 
    Not true, I and my father stayed until the end at the open end (now Jimmy Seed stand), and there were many around us, not sure where this story about all Charlton fans leaving before the end came from, no doubt many may have left
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moving around in Dad's ball sack at the time...  me and 200,000 others cheered like crazy when the winner went in!
    Are you still talking about the Udders match or the race of 200k?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    lolwray said:
    Not true, I and my father stayed until the end at the open end (now Jimmy Seed stand), and there were many around us, not sure where this story about all Charlton fans leaving before the end came from, no doubt many may have left
    Meant  tongue in cheek along with the "I was there's "..... 
  • Options
    I'm a proper bore with my kids , whenever we play football , table football, sometimes table tennis and the score is 7-6 i get them to recite the 5 goals Johnny Summers , 1-5 down , ten men , 20 mins left mantra .... It's now said with a groan and before i get a chance to prompt them ... anyway they have email now !! 
    I bet you enjoyed the play off final against Sunderland, the first time and your kids hated it  :)
  • Options
    I'd love to know how CharltonLife reacted when Huddersfield brought it back to 6-6 with four minutes left 
    “Bowyer out”
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I'd love to know how CharltonLife reacted when Huddersfield brought it back to 6-6 with four minutes left 
    “Bowyer out”
    Dont you mean Jimmy Trotter? - Dont think Lee was Managing us back then ;)
  • Options
    We should do it.

Who is up for (re)creating the match thread?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We should do it.

I'll start:

Bloody Ufton, made of glass we're going to get absolutely shafted here.................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    We should do it.

I'll start:

Bloody Ufton, made of glass we're going to get absolutely shafted here.................
    Dont worry it'll be fine, everything is fine, its always fine :)
  • Options

Can't see this Huddersfield manager having much of a career ....

• Options
    Told you that Summers is useless, couldn't score in a brothel.
  • Options
    I'm a proper bore.
    That would have done. 
  • Options
    My first Charlton game.
  • Options
    I don't know why Trotter persists with that 2-3-5 formation. 

And where are the goals coming from?  Summers is only averaging one every two games.  FFS ... that means that in every other game he doesn't score.  What the hell is he there for?
  • Options
    Workington one up at Halifax.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Workington one up at Halifax.
    Cmon, can we avoid other goals please? - Waste of time buying the paper else!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Told you that Summers is useless, couldn't score in a brothel.
    We should try and pick up the Huddersfield lad who travelled down but didn’t play....think his name is Dennis Law. Worth a punt I reckon.