Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What if one of our own did this?

Michael Appleton reacts to controversy over Moses Odubajo 'congratulating' Nottingham Forest ace

The Sheffield Wednesday defender was first on the scene after the striker's goal at The City Ground - but has denied suggestions he was celebrating a goal against his own team

The loss is frustrating for myself and the team. I would never high 5 another player for scoring against us. I said to Grabban no way is that a goal because of the foul and laughed it off thinking the goal wouldn’t stand. 1/3

Comments

• Options
      Looking at the hi lights I don’t think he said much to Grabban at all, his lips hardly moved. All he seemed to do was hi five him and laugh 
    • Options
      Looking at the hi lights I don’t think he said much to Grabban at all, his lips hardly moved. All he seemed to do was hi five him and laugh 
      I think his explanation is plausible, why would he celebrate a Forest goal anyway?
    • Options
      If he believes that that goal will be disallowed, then surely he's either spitting feathers at the referee or he's getting the ball to take the free kick in the hope of nicking an equaliser
    • Options
      se9addick said:
      I think his explanation is plausible, why would he celebrate a Forest goal anyway?
      I don’t think he was celebrating a Forest team goal, he seemed to be mates with Grabban and appeared pleased with the fact he personally had scored it
    • Options
      edited December 2020
      Not seen the goal in question but nothing  wrong in recognising when something is exceptional

Reminds me of a league cup game against stoke at the valley when one of their players hit a rocket of a shot from just inside the half way line and everybody spontaneously applauded it.

And, leading on from that, the time at the valley when an opposition player got hit in the nuts from another pile driver and everybody in the ground gave out a loud, audible wince...
    • Options
      Not seen the goal in question but nothing  wrong in recognising when something is exceptional

Reminds me of a league cup game against stoke at the valley when one of their players hit a rocket of a shot from just inside the half way line and everybody spontaneously applauded it.

And, leading on from that, the time at the valley when an opposition player got hit in the nuts from another pile driver and everybody in the ground gave out a loud, audible wince...
      It wasn't exceptional. 
    • Options

I’d watch the goal then because you are way out. The explanation is bollocks, it was just bizarre to be honest. I wouldn’t be happy if that had been a Charlton player. 
    • Options

There was nothing exceptional about the goal, you need to watch it.
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      This is one of those things that is so bizarre when you watch it that you think surely, surely he's not celebrating?! I mean, who would? This is literally unprecedented.

But... there's no other good explanation.
    • Options
      se9addick said:
      I don’t think he was celebrating a Forest team goal, he seemed to be mates with Grabban and appeared pleased with the fact he personally had scored it
      If a Charlton player ever did that, i would never want them to play again for this club. Justifying it because he was mates with him?? Surely you're not serious or am i being whoosed again
    • Options
      In my opinion, he just pats him on the back, like a ‘respect for the goal mate, get away you baller’.

We expect footballers to be warriors with partisan tendencies. In reality, especially in this day and age with 2 year contracts, it’s a small community where they’re more aligned to each other than the clubs they play for.
    • Options
      It's a mentality thing some players just don't give a f**k.However many do ie Jason Pearce. I would be very upset seeing a Charlton player do it. 
    • Options
      If this happened at Charlton  the outrage would go on for generations.
    • Options
      Anyone remember a fella on the Charlton scene called Lester?  Played a Sunday league game against him once and quite bizarrely when I scored he celebrated and joined in our bundle on the floor! Not show what his team mates made of it all
      Lester played football?
      Was mates with Gus.
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      se9addick said:
      If a Charlton player ever did that, i would never want them to play again for this club. Justifying it because he was mates with him?? Surely you're not serious or am i being whoosed again
      That isn’t at all how he “justified” it - he said he was laughing & smiling because he thought it was going to be ruled out for a foul.
    • Options
      se9addick said:
      se9addick said:
      That isn’t at all how he “justified” it - he said he was laughing & smiling because he thought it was going to be ruled out for a foul.
      That would still be a very weird way to react when you're one down and in Wednesday's position. Even Pulis has called his explanation bullshit. 
    • Options
      Anyone remember a fella on the Charlton scene called Lester?  Played a Sunday league game against him once and quite bizarrely when I scored he celebrated and joined in our bundle on the floor! Not show what his team mates made of it all
      Not sure if it was that loon or another one from that era , didn’t they end up supporting the scum ... all very odd from someone who would have been considered hardcore Charlton at the time .
    • Options
      Not sure if it was that loon or another one from that era , didn’t they end up supporting the scum ... all very odd from someone who would have been considered hardcore Charlton at the time .
      A couple of people have been known to turn to the dark side.
    • Options
      Lester! -Now there is a blast from the past. 
    • Options
      I went to a Coventry v Chelsea game in the late 1970’s. Butch Wilkins scored a great goal for Chelsea, a thirty yard angled chip over the goalkeeper. A couple of the Coventry players shook his hand on his way back to his own half for the restart.

Coventry went on to win 5-1.
    • Options
      The best thing of those highlights is Taylors miss. 😂.

Was a spur of the moment thing from the Sheff Weds bloke without thinking I suspect but shows a certain mindset.  Assume given Weds have spent money and are rooted to the bottom that they have bought a bunch of mercenaries who don't care about the club.  They will struggle to get out of this.
    • Options
      It depends who it was. If it was a player I liked I’d say it was no big deal. If it was someone I didn’t like I would demand that they be crucified at half time during the next home game. 
    • Options
      edited December 2020
      I remember seeing on video a game when players of both teams were kissing, hugging and congratulating the scorer of a goal.............no hold on that was Gregorys Girl!