Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Squeeze last night...

Really enjoyed it, very hot in the venue though.

There was a few young Charlton in there singing 'Valley Floyd Road' between songs....

Bombing Deptford would be too good for it.

Suprised the Tour de France got through it ok... what a hole.

Comments

• Options
    spooky!

very hot. slipped outside for a fag in between a few times.
  • Options
    Top night
  • Options
    great stuff. although hot, i really liked the venue. but regretted the red stripe this morning.
    agree about deptford. every other shop sells either fish or phone cards (or both)
  • Options
    My mates wanted to get a can of red stripe glad i said no
  • Options
    Gutted I couldn't go to yesterday's gig.

Am going to see them in December though, can't wait!
  • Options
    yes my sister wants to get tickets for her birthday 5th dec for hamersmith. i would hope they would play the O2 small venue, considering Glenn lives in my road! be rude not to.
  • Options
    I've got to attend the 5th December gig with three Millwall mates, you can't have it all I suppose!

Kasabian at Somerset House tonight, can't wait for that.
  • Options
    Good call that Curb_it. They suit smaller venues.

They were clearly enjoying themselves but doing their best not to show it.

There was a guy going loopy next to us who was the *spit* of Paul Calf.

Full oon 80's grey suit with black slip on shoes. I think he was loving the Red Stripe...

I wanted to get some grub down there.....don't think the Health inspectors have visited Deptford for 20 years. Plus wasn't in the mood for caribbean take away...
  • Options
    You're right about the smaller venues as well. I saw them at the Amersham Arms well over ten years ago now, remains one of the best gigs I've been to.
  • Options
    did you see the ronnie wood lookylikey in the floral kind of jacket! nice bit of cloth!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]I've got to attend the 5th December gig with three Millwall mates, you can't have it all I suppose!

an excellent opportunity to remind them that the 5th december is the anniversary of the 'snow' game.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]did you see the ronnie wood lookylikey in the floral kind of jacket! nice bit of cloth![/quote]

There was some proper throwbacks there.

But hey who am I to cast judgement...
  • Options
    Great shout PBS, we were all at that game as well. I'll let them buy me a commemorative bevvy or two.
  • Options
    Thought it was a great night and really liked the venue (once you're inside of course).

Survived the Red Stripe with no apparent after effects

Found myself bursting into song all day .... problem was that hardly anyone at my work knows squeeze so just presumed I was telling them a very revealling story throughout "up the junction".!!
  • Options
    Ah nostalgia.. great venue for a Local band to make a comeback,lots of memories and a fine night out,enjoyed a beer and glad i went.
  • Options
    Deptford IS an utter shithole - it always has been. I ought to know - I grew up less than fifty yards from the Albany (on probably the only decent estate within a two mile radius). It was an absolute fucking nightmare when they used to have the soul/ragga nights there.
  • Options
    Very good gig. Glenn's been one of the most underrated vocalists of the last few decades, but he's an equally dazzling guitarist when he unleashes the beast. He seems to have forgiven CHris for his occassional vanishing acts when the rest of the band was waiting at the airport to start a US tour, and John Bentley is back on bass, after a mere 26 years absence.

Afterwards he said the remit for the this tour was to reproduce the songs as closely as possible to the recorded versions, to "give 'em what they want", and the sound really was uncannily faithful to the versions we all remember, unusually for Squeeze live, where Glenn normally took the opportunity to change some songs into waltz time, bend the crowd into four part harmonies, or invent whole new blues intros or middle 8 sections. The two new guys from Glenn's band The Fluffers fitted in pretty well, although the effort that the keyboard player had put into recreating some of Jool's solos almost note-for-note was somewhat lost by being far too low in the mix.

I asked him the all-important question though... had he renewed his season ticket?

Obviously... 'course he had.
  • Options
    SORRY BUT DEPTORD IS NOT AN UTTER SHITHOLE ,nothing to do with YOUR taste of music...
    it's not a shithole as you so gladly say, but it USED to preceed it's self and point taken but ,it's now changed, when did you last visit? i lived in Albyn street off Friendly street, i also lived in Brockley and New Cross And i also lived on the SILWOOD ESTATE, which was pretty hectic to say the least,MILLWALL Manor..it's moved on and ain't what it was.... give it a go if you can be bothered. No Hard feelings from me,would have been in the late 80's not sure when you were there leroy ambrose
    my brother lives on the manor and i visit regular and for me it's changed,i feel safe,but maybe i know how to mellow in.I know what you're saying but you'd be surprised if you passed through know.
  • Options
    Badger I passed through. I was glad to mate thought it was worse than Tottenham and that's saying something.
  • Options
    To be honest i had a really good night,i got the the train down to Deptford i would say it is the first time i have there for ages!i have to say it was ok and have been to worst places then there!i would have no probs going back there for a beer and really had a top night!Squeeze were brilliant!FACT!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Badger it is well and truly a shithole

fact

locked on

100%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]SORRY BUT DEPTORD IS NOT AN UTTER SHITHOLE ,nothing to do with YOUR taste of music...
    it's not a shithole as you so gladly say, but it USED to preceed it's self and point taken but ,it's now changed, when did you last visit? i lived in Albyn street off Friendly street, i also lived in Brockley and New Cross And i also lived on the SILWOOD ESTATE, which was pretty hectic to say the least,MILLWALL Manor..it's moved on and ain't what it was.... give it a go if you can be bothered. No Hard feelings from me,would have been in the late 80's not sure when you were there leroy ambrose
    my brother lives on the manor and i visit regular and for me it's changed,i feel safe,but maybe i know how to mellow in.I know what you're saying but you'd be surprised if you passed through know.
    Good luck with all that.

I spent my first seven years on the Pepys estate, then moved next door to the Albany for the next twenty years. It took me 27 years to escape Deptford's gravitational pull - and now, whenever I visit my mum I'm glad that's all it is - a visit. In the past twelve months alone, within 500 yards of her house there have been five stabbings, two shootings - strangely not reported in the press - maybe they don't get to hear about what happens in 'Up And Coming Deptford' (TM RightMove.co.uk), at least fifteen house burglaries (including hers) countless car windows put through and smackheads shooting up outside her front door.

'Gentrification' my arse - I maintain that Deptford is a fucking dump.

BTW - I'm 33, so the late 80s would have been smack in the middle of my teens. Lovely nostalgic days - gangs of pikeys roaming round beating up anyone under the age of 16 who happened to be out on their own,. not one but TWO tinkers markets next door to my house, the rise of crack in the park opposite my house, crazy gangs of Vietnamese stabbing people for looking at them the wrong way at New Cross station... it takes me back... and makes me glad that I'll never live there again as long as I draw breath.