Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 19th December 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ben Speedie

Introduction
Well in theory we should have been spending these last few days discussing the performance from the Bristol Rovers game on Tuesday night... This though is going to be one of the more unique seasons in English Football and as we know, said game was called off due to a number of the opposition coming down with COVID-19. Of course its a surprise to some extent that its taken this long to happen, and what wont be a surprise is if it happens again!! - Naturally the biggest repercussions could revolve around the fact that these games will still need to be played, and for some rivals the fixture congestion could already hinder their seasons come the business end of the season. As always though its time to look to the current future, we travel to Wiltshere and Swindon in search of what'll be our second win of the season at the County Ground!!

The Opposition
Name: Swindon Town (22nd) | Manager: John Sheridan
Ground: The County Ground
Previous Result: Doncaster Rovers 2-1 Swindon Town

For those scratching their heads in bafflement and confusion this is another reminder that this is a fixture we've already played this season. The Addicks would travel to Swindon still in a bit of disarray, yet there would be light at the end of the tunnel with potential owner: Thomas Sandgaard in attendance (whatever happened to him!!) - It would be the game that would show that Charlie Barker could be the next success story from the Academy and despite winning 3-1 come the end of the game, you could argue it was a scoreline that flattered a make shift Charlton team who would advance to the second round of the League Cup.

Swindon themselves looked impressive that day, but considering they faced, and ultimately fell to the sword of a Charlton team that hadnt been rebuilt yet its no real surprise that they're struggling in League One this term. Already they've replaced the Manager that faced us in September with Richie Wellens departing and the journeyman manager: John Sheridan joining from fellow strugglers Wigan Athletic - When it comes to teams replacing management I've always personally questioned if its not the players that have reached their limits and you could certainly question that with our opponents this Saturday, after all nine points were achieved under Wellens, yet only six points have been achieved since with the same amount of games played by both Managers!!

So its once again the focus turns to the players themselves; Jonny Smith was the standout player from the cup performance, into his fifth loan spell (from parent club: Bristol City), the 23-year old winger is playing at the highest level of his career so far, although after twelve performances has just the one league goal to his name. Its also worth remembering that when we faced the Robins the transfer window was still open for themselves, since our encounter, the Robins have been able to rely upon the experience of Brett Pitman (Portsmouth) and Jonathan Grounds (Birmingham City), not that their experience is helping them to get out of their mess!!

Charlton Team News
As always we now turn our attention to trying to out think Lee Bowyer and imagine the team that he's going to put out to record another three points. The biggest bonus from Tuesdays cancellation is the fact we've had a week to prepare for this encounter, and as we've already seen this season, Charlton arent a team that cope well with two fixtures in a week.

So with a weeks rest since our impressive second half against AFC Wimbledon, the question is who do we play, and who is available for selection? - Well the easy bit is the latter; Albie Morgan currently in self-isolation will return to the squad on Monday, whilst Paul Smyth has started running after his injury earnt against Ipswich Town... Andrew Shinnie on the other hand remains absent as per Bowyer's latest press conference.

With that out of the way, what does Bowyer do this weekend, does he go with the team that impressively put Wimbledon to the sword or does he continue to mix it up?

Amos
Gunter | Pratley | Pearce | Maatsen
Gilbey | Watson | Forster-Caskey
Maddison
Bogle | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Oshilaja | Matthews | Levitt | Williams | Aneke

Prediction
If you didnt expect League One to be tight this year then you need to pay attention a bit more often. As per last season there appears to be no team running away with proceedings and nor should we expect to see it either happen to another team, or to ourselves... The further down the pyramid you go the more chance of facing a scenario where anyone can beat anyone - Despite that though you'd expect Charlton to put in a strong showing this weekend, they had no game midweek (like our opponents) so will be fresher and will be fired up after last weeks showing. We've struggled at times against those towards the bottom but expect less resistance this time out!!

Comments

• Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    With the postponement of our game on Tuesday the boys should be well rested for this match.
    Swindon are on current form just about the worse team in league one. 
    No excuses we simply have to win this one. 
    2.1 Charlton and we move up a couple of places. 
  • Options
    If we are as good as people say we are we need to win this as these are the sort of games we need to be picking up points.

Swindons current form is woeful so they are there for the taking, the question is can we?
  • Options
    Only thing that worries me about Saturday is John Sheridan himself

Wellens we faced and they played a bit like Wimbledon, opened themselves up and we just picked them off

We've already faced a Sheridan team (Wigan) who were VERY tight and didnt give us many chances
  • Options
    I think he will start with your team and to be fair it was effective. I liked the free role that Maddison had and the two forwards splitting gave them issues and pushed them back.

Personally I  don’t think Gilbey is playing too well so would play Purrington at left back and push Maatsen forward.
  • Options
    I think that will be the team, although I've got a suspicion Bows may start Aneke in place of Omar. You'd hope we'd put Swindon to the sword but who can be sure anymore
  • Options
    As per my suggestion for the tactics for the subsequently postponed Bristol Rovers game, attack,
    attack,
    attack, attack, attack

Don’t keep passing it sideways or back and let them build up the confidence to keep attacking us and score. Overwhelm them.
  • Options
    Agree. Limit backwards and sideways passes and play the ball forward with pace, urgency and courage.
  • Options
    Another good preview FA , 2 - 0 Charlton , Aneke and Maddison with the goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree. Limit backwards and sideways passes and play the ball forward with pace, urgency and courage.
    This. We’ve got a very strong defence and an exceptional goalkeeper but you can’t invite the opposition to keep attacking and expect to stop goals being conceded every time
  • Options
    0-3 to LB & JJ's Red and White Army. 
  • Options
    This. We’ve got a very strong defence and an exceptional goalkeeper but you can’t invite the opposition to keep attacking and expect to stop goals being conceded every time
    Our strong defence are injured 🤕 
  • Options
    Excellent preview. 

A midfield of Gilbey,  Watson and JFC is just too slow and predictable.  

Williams deserves to start. 

We never win the easy games.

• Options
    Really hope Bowyer gives Levitt a game. His quality allows us to pass through the lines rather than side to side. 

He’s almost certainly going back in January so let this be his swan song.
  • Options
    Win and Bowyer is god and those rumours of unrest were bullshit
    Lose and Bowyer has lost the dressing room and something is not right at Sparrows Lane

Draw it is then , desmond 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think he will start with your team and to be fair it was effective. I liked the free role that Maddison had and the two forwards splitting gave them issues and pushed them back.

Personally I  don’t think Gilbey is playing too well so would play Purrington at left back and push Maatsen forward.
    Yes, that midfield is way too one paced otherwise. I think Maatsen looks better at left wing than left back.
  • Options
    This is the sort of game where in the absence of Morgan or Shinnie we have to start both Jonny and Madds.

3-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Late winner from Amos 0-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks winnable, so we'll probably make heavy weather of it. Time for a 0-0, I reckon.
  • Options
    clive said:
    A bit worrying that they think this game will be played in front of a small crowd. Shall we buy them a transistor radio for Christmas so they can stay in touch? 😉
  • Options
    Great preview as always!  Fancy this one 0-3, The "RUN" gets going!
  • Options
    Thanks for the preview - a great read.
  • Options
    As you said about postponements FA, Posh is now off on 29th so more midweek games, the only good thing is some clubs are going to miss three games in a row
  • Options
    A good chance to cement a place in the top 6 on Saturday. Still really worry about lack of centre halves but the weeknof rest will help. 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Win or lose, just happy to see us playing in the excellent gray kit again. 
  • Options
    They’ve got the worst defence in the league! 3 or 4 goals for us 
  • Options
    0-2 to Charlton.