Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**MATCH OFF**Charlton v Bristol Rovers | Tue 15 Dec | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers
Tuesday 15th December | Kick-Off: 19.45pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire) - Previously officiated Charlton back in 2019 away at Oxford United in a 2-1 loss on Good Friday.

Introduction
Woke up this morning feeling fine, I've got Charlton on my mind, Bowyer's got us playing the way we should... 🎶 especially in the second half as we put 4 passed Wimbledon to win 5-2 in front of 2000 lucky Addicks and an owner who finally gets us, cares, and is ambitious. Suddenly, things look very positive. Only 4 points off of top spot, and it shows that a week is a long time in football. Jonny Williams is a perfect example of that phrase too. The Welsh wizard came off the bench to essentially score the winning goal and put in a fantastic performance, just the reaction everyone would've wanted. Now the mood has changed, and we all want the next game to come as soon as possible. Well, the wish is granted as we welcome our next opponents to The Valley, on Tuesday evening under the lights, Bristol Rovers. 

Opposition
Manager: Paul Tisdale (57.1% win rate)
Stadium: Memorial Stadium
League Position: 15th | Last 6: WWLDLL
Nickname(s): The Gas, The Pirates

Bristol Rovers played Plymouth Argyle at home on Saturday, winning 3-0, their last line-up was:

van Stappershoef
Ehmer | Kilgour | Baldwin | Leahy
Westbrooke | Upson | Grant
McCormick
Hanlan | Nicholson

New manager Paul Tisdale, who was appointed on 19th November, has just started to turn things around at the Memorial Stadium. After a run of 7 games without a win, including the last 3 of them without a goal, Bristol Rovers have now won their last 2 games; scoring 7 goals in the process. But one thing that he has changed since coming in, is new set-piece routines. Two of The Pirates goals on Saturday came from a corner which had been worked on in training. Rather than players gathering in a specific area of the box, which you usually see from most teams, they were spread out around the box all making their own individuals runs. The ball went into the centre of the area, around the six yard line both times, and both times they scored. If Bowyer and the coaching staff decide to continue with the man-mark way of defending corners, the players must be switched on and not let the Bristol Rovers player get goal-side because it will cause us a lot of problems if they do. When attacking, their movement comes alive, the third man runs are always an option and it's helped with players like Hanlan and Nicholson up front, both who are mobile and can carry the ball forward. The Pirates also like to keep the ball more than soak up pressure and hit opponents on the counter-attack. 10 of the 16 games they've played so far this season has resulted in more possession and more passes than their opposition. And under Tisdale, pass it they will. This shouldn't be a game where the ball is in the air much of the time. But it's not wise to focus on just their strong points, they have weaknesses like everyone else and getting in behind their defence is one of them. With Washington's movement and runners from midfield, which we had on Saturday in the second half, we could get quite a few one-on-one situations.

Player wise, they have some very good League One quality across the pitch. Jack Baldwin was at Sunderland until the summer but was not in the squad on that incredible day nearly 19 months ago (where has the time gone?!). Max Ehmer, the new captain for this season, has played every minute in the league so far. The tall German defender has made over 300 appearances across the last 10 years in League One, many of them for Gillingham until he left the outside toilet for the west country in July. In midfield, Zain Westbrooke is a talented player who was in the Coventry team that won promotion last season. Chertsey born, Westbrooke would start his development at Chelsea before moving to Brentford, working his way up to their B side. After failing to break through, he'd find a new home in Coventry for a couple years and has since moved further west to Bristol Rovers. He may not score many - although he got their 3rd on Saturday - but he has the technical ability to find the pass to someone who may be more dangerous. At the base of midfield is another experienced player, Ed Upson. Another with around 300 League One appearances, Upson played for 4 different clubs at this level. The type of midfielder who keeps a team ticking over, always making himself available, always trying to look for the forward pass or the strikers movement in behind the defence. But also the midfielder who has the job to break up play. If we manage to keep him quiet, it will massively help reduce the service into Hanlan and Nicholson, allowing us more control in midfield and able to express ourselves better. If Maddison and Williams start, getting beyond Upson will be a big part of any success we have. Up front, I think we all know of Brandon Hanlan, the former Addicks academy striker is another who moved from Gillingham to Bristol Rovers in the summer, and has found the net regularly this season with 7 goals in 17 appearances in all competitions. And finally, to round it back up to a different type of Charlton note... alongside Hanlan is Nicholson who signed for The Gas in July from Colorado Rapids, the closest team to Mr Sandgaard's home in the US. 

Charlton Team News
Let's get the negative side out of the way first. I start this section of the preview the same as I did my last, 'Charlton and freak injuries, a marriage made in hell'. Akin Famewo will be out for around 9 weeks after sustaining ankle ligament damage whilst partaking in a simple defending drill in training. After clearing the ball, the Norwich loanee would fall backwards and land on his ankle, he now will spend 3 weeks in a boot before 6 weeks of rehabilitation. That leaves us back to just two fit centre backs, something we have had to get used to this season. Other news saw Morgan miss out on the squad on Saturday due to a family member contracting the virus. It means the young midfielder will have to self-isolate for a period of time and won't be available on Tuesday.

Chuks Aneke and Jonny Williams proved to be the substitutions that made the difference against Wimbledon. The latter scoring only his second Charlton goal and first at The Valley, he was also unlucky not to add to his tally but Purrington was on hand to wrap up the win, adding our 5th on the day. For Aneke, well, he continues to fulfil 'The Aneke Role' and scored again after coming on. Incredibly, that's all 6 of his goals this season from the bench. You cannot deny the impact he makes when he enters the fray. Another player worth mentioning, although he didn't get on the scoresheet, is Marcus Maddison. The left-footed maverick worked as hard as anyone off the ball, reading the play, tracking back, and making some important interceptions. We all know his quality in possession, but it was impressive to see how Bowyer has got him working hard for the team already.

As usual, we can expect to see a few changes again for Tuesday as a number of players will struggle to play 3 matches in a week. One of them is Forster-Caskey. Bowyer's failed attempt to describe him getting into the box like a duck to water would make many laugh, but the point remains the same. Forster-Caskey has the ability to score goals from midfield as he showed on Saturday, but after playing a full 90 minutes, you would expect him to be on the bench for Bristol Rovers. Other changes could see Matthews come in for Gunter, who probably put in his best display for us so far, or Purrington could come back into the team to allow Maatsen to get further forward. Due to the mobility of the two Bristol Rovers strikers, Oshilaja might get his first start in 2 months as he is far quicker than Pratley and Pearce. Bowyer has lots to think about, but I would be tempted to try and have as close to the second half team on Saturday, on the pitch from the start as possible.

(This team is not necessarily the one I would start, or expect to start)

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Purrington, Levitt, Forster-Caskey, Gilbey, Aneke

Prediction
We now need to follow up the performance and result with another good run of form heading into the very busy Christmas and New Year period. Even though we face a Bristol Rovers side who are growing in confidence themselves, I think the confidence we will take from Saturday's emphatic win will be enough to see us through. We are going to want to start keeping clean sheets again. After the run of 6 without conceding, we've kept 1 in our last 7. Getting back to being solid will be a target everyone will want to aim for. 

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Bristol Rovers
Maddison
Aneke

Comments

• Options
    For the longest time I used to think Bristol Rovers nickname was the pirates, then a BR fan informed me of the whole gas/gasheads thing. Still think pirates sounds better!
  • Options
    Bugger off. I'm still basking in yesterday's glow to start thinking about Brizzle.  ;)
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    For the longest time I used to think Bristol Rovers nickname was the pirates, then a BR fan informed me of the whole gas/gasheads thing. Still think pirates sounds better!
    Think it's both, Pirates being the older one. A bit like the Valiants and the Addicks.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Aaaaaaaarh me hearty!

2-1

Maddison, Aneke (off the bench)

Theirs will involve a predictable switch off or walkabout from our defence.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Think it's both, Pirates being the older one. A bit like the Valiants and the Addicks.

Yeah this is news to me... I've always know Bristol Rovers as the Pirates
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0. 
  • Options
    After the lord mayor's show 1-0.
  • Options
    Impossible to predict what side Bowyer will pick and impossible to predict how we will play. 
    Our last half dozen games have baffled me with both their performance and results. 
    Hopefully we can go on another run like we did before the international break. 
    2.1 Charlton and we  can start to believe. 
  • Options
    Great in-depth preview Sage , let's put an end to our midweek woes . 2-0 Charlton , Bogle and Maddison with the goals.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Good preview Sage but I will wait to see who gets injured in our next two training sessions before picking a team. If both Williams and Aneke can't start against Rovers and with Smyth, Doughty, Inniss, Famewo, Shinnie, Morgan all out the teams nearly picks its self. 
    Both Purrington and Maatsen can play on the left if needs must. Bogle will have to keep playing, and Gilbey needs to find the form that made him highly rated at his other clubs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we start with MM and go on the front foot 3-1 to us
  • Options
    Aneke injured again apparently.

Given his track record he is unlikely to return soon if the 'apparently' is true.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Given his track record he is unlikely to return soon if the 'apparently' is true.
    Where did you read that? 
  • Options
    What's the latest on Shinnie? A big miss in midfield. 
  • Options
    Buy valley pass on Tuesday we have a great owner now.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The guy is a talented liability 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    If we go back to the Pratley and Watson CM after yesterday then I'll be bloody annoyed tbh. Maybe it's time to give both a well-earned rest and try the Levitt/JFC central axis ;) 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Where did you read that? 
    On here. Injured during the 'cool down' apparently after the game.
  • Options
    Great preview, 2-0 win, feel a good run coming up!  COYRS!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    on the statbank I have shown Chuks with 5 yellow cards as that is what it shows on the OS, although I have known them to be wrong. My records show 4 and betting sites give him 3 or 4, according to Killerandflash Chuks got one yellow in the FA cup so it doesn't count?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on the statbank I have shown Chuks with 5 yellow cards as that is what it shows on the OS, although I have known them to be wrong. My records show 4 and betting sites give him 3 or 4, according to Killerandflash Chuks got one yellow in the FA cup so it doesn't count?
    Definitely has five bookings... Hopefully because one was in the FA Cup it means he doesn't get suspended for Tuesday 

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=62456
  • Options
    ??? Only 4-0, where's your ambition, got to be 5-0 now ;)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Where did you read that? 
    Is this true or just a wind up?

How the fuck can you get injured in the warm down?!
  • Options
    Anyone have a link for ST holders to buy the stream with their CAFC Cash? Can only find actual tickets for the Valley on the website. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Where did you read that? 

If any team could manage it...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Where did you read that? 

Someone (I can't remember who so can't give them the credit) mentioned that Mount Chuks was holding his hammy (I think) as he walked off down the tunnel.
  • Options
    This time ... please  :D
  • Options
    Also for the record, I think the team we are likely to see on Tuesday will be Gilbey in for Oshilaja and Pratley continues back in defence. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Last time we put 5 past a Wimbledon team we followed it up by scoring 5 again a few days later*

The last team we put 5 past before this week was Bristol Rovers*

The omens all point to us hitting 5 again on Tuesday

*These facts are off the top of my head and may be wrong