Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Referee yesterday and their goal kick

As somebody who played a lot of football, and managed and coached as well as receiving coaching to run the line from ex World Cup Referee Phil Sharp I think I have a decent enough understanding of the laws of the game. However, I was confused by one element in yesterday's game. The Wimbledon keeper was taking a goal kick and the ref insisted he put the ball behind the 6 yard box line. 

I have always understood that you should draw an imaginary line form the outer edge of the line and if that line touches the ball, it is in play, not a goal, legal to take a corner and in this case, valid for a goal kick. Is there something I don't know about that applies to goal kicks?

Comments

• Yes they should take them quicker when we are losing.
  • The ball doesn't have to touch the actual line but the imaginary line going upwards. I thought it was. 
  • At one point, it might even have been at that incident, when their keeper spun and looked and spun and looked at the ball to place it.
    Perhaps he was trying to avoid the laces!
    The referee was alert to that and was right to assert his authority over the line thing. He also booked their keeper for (understandable...We do it) time wasting.
  • This blog (may not answer your question but is interesting) https://robeastaway.com/blog/six-yard-box
    It says the 1891 law required goal kicks to be taken within 6 yards of the goal post.  The photo of the 1901 6-yard box is good value.  It's, umm, not a box at all!

Whereas the current law 16 says 
    • The ball must be stationary and is kicked from any point within the goal area by a player of the defending team
    Could it be argued that overlapping the line is not within the box?  Or perhaps the ref has a 1891 copy of the laws!

BTW, I am convinced that most keepers handle the ball outside the penalty area when dropping the ball to kick it upfield.  
  • The ball doesn't have to touch the actual line but the imaginary line going upwards. I thought it was. 

Yes it is - fine if any part of the line would intersect any part of the ball if the line was extended vertically.
    The issue yesterday was that their keeper was placing it outside the line, the lino flagged and the ref came back to check. He asked the keeper to move the ball and he moved it no more than a mm - I think the ref booked him for dissent rather than time wasting.
  • edited December 2020
    I also often notice keepers who constantly carry the ball/handle the ball over the line and outside the box when they make clearances.
  • Yes, the keeper was taking the piss with the way he brought the ball back a fraction and rightly got booked!
  • cafcfan said:
    This blog (may not answer your question but is interesting) https://robeastaway.com/blog/six-yard-box
    It says the 1891 law required goal kicks to be taken within 6 yards of the goal post.  The photo of the 1901 6-yard box is good value.  It's, umm, not a box at all!

• The ball must be stationary and is kicked from any point within the goal area by a player of the defending team
    Could it be argued that overlapping the line is not within the box?  Or perhaps the ref has a 1891 copy of the laws!

BTW, I am convinced that most keepers handle the ball outside the penalty area when dropping the ball to kick it upfield.  
    Playing in goal once and ref gave a free kick against me for hand ball when carrying out a drop kick, he was on the half way line, I told him, what I thought of the decision.
  • VAR anybody?
  • Sponsored links:

• I also often notice keepers who constantly carry the ball/handle the ball over the line and outside the box when they make clearances.
    VAR anybody?
    Yes, I'm surprised that considering they will rule out goals for the tiniest fraction of offside that this has never been picked up.
  • I also often notice keepers who constantly carry the ball/handle the ball over the line and outside the box when they make clearances.
    I have often said that too...what is strange is the lino stands parallel to the edge of the box but never gives it.
  • The keeper had been taking the pee for a bit and the lino had flagged, so the ref stopped the game and ran over to have a word with/book the keeper and move the ball back.

Only on that particular occasion the ball was overhanging the line so was "in" the box. Ref booked him anyway, presumably because he'd made him run from the halfway line and back! 
  • Harsh booking, but it cancelled out the one early on when their midfielder took out free kick for us. 

I get that being a ref is hard but they need to be consistent. Wimbledon player takes our free kick, no booking. Wimbledon player blocks a quick free wick and got booked. What was the difference? Both should be or not be, I don’t see how near identical incidents are treated so differently 
  • The keeper was blatant  time wasting, and the East stand lino was having a mare, as he could not keep
    up with play. The ball was outside the 6yd by quite a way, but of course the lino telling the ref via the intercom used up 30sec etc. I had time added as 6mins. Heard Seddon moaning about time wasting, when we had a throw, as you can imagine we gave him pelters.
  • cafcfan said:
    This blog (may not answer your question but is interesting) https://robeastaway.com/blog/six-yard-box

Playing in goal once and ref gave a free kick against me for hand ball when carrying out a drop kick, he was on the half way line, I told him, what I thought of the decision.
    And how did he react when you congratulated him on his astuteness?
  • edited December 2020
    I also often notice keepers who constantly carry the ball/handle the ball over the line and outside the box when they make clearances.
    I have often said that too...what is strange is the lino stands parallel to the edge of the box but never gives it.
    I had a big row with parents of opponents calling my son out for it once a few years back. Ignorant sods didn't realise that keepers practice releasing the ball out from their hands within the area and kicking it outside.
  • Dylan Phillips was a master of such tactics.
  • JaShea99 said:
    From where I was sitting he was putting it so far in front of the line it wasn’t even touching it. And clearly doing it on purpose to waste time.
    Exactly this.

The ball was not on the 6 yard line, the referee asked him to move it and it was then put on the same place. The referee then came and made a point about moving it back, that’s why it was in the 6 yard box rather than on the line. 
  • edited December 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    From where I was sitting he was putting it so far in front of the line it wasn’t even touching it. 
    Doing a Kinsella?
  • Sponsored links:

I had a big row with parents of opponents calling my son out for it once a few years back. Ignorant sods didn't realise that keepers practice releasing the ball out from their hands within the area and kicking it outside.
    We have all seen enough football to know when it does and doesn't go on.
  • cafcfan said:

And how did he react when you congratulated him on his astuteness?
    Think he was deaf as well as blind.