Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon’s Alex Woodyard a Charlton fan

From the AFCW site

Alex Woodyard grew up supporting Charlton Athletic, but his father Colin pointed him in the right direction – and now the experienced midfielder is determined to push Wimbledon forward.

As a player who also came through Charlton’s academy, Alex has a high regard for the Addicks, but there will be no divided loyalties on Saturday when he returns to the Valley.

“Growing up it was the club I supported because it was local to where I lived, and I played for Charlton’s academy for a number of years," said Alex. "There are a few coaches I know that are still there, so it’s good a place to go back to and it’s a great stadium. It’s a good local derby. I grew up in Dartford, it’s not a million miles away from Charlton, and you tend to support your local team. My Dad grew up supporting Wimbledon, so it’s a good family derby! Both clubs have come through dark times: it’s great that we are back at Plough Lane and Charlton have been back at the Valley for a number of years. It’s great for both clubs.

“You want to get one up on your rival London club, but I think for us it’s just about getting back to winning ways in the league. It was a great result the other night and hopefully we can take confidence from that, and hopefully go to Charlton and get three points.”

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait to watch him run rings around our static midfield later
  • Options
    Was in the same group of lads as Sean McGinty
  • Options
    Seem to remember this coming up when he was at Peterborough two years ago
  • Options
    "And Woodyard scores a 30 yard screamer against his boyhood club"
  • Options
    "And Woodyard scores a 30 yard screamer against his boyhood club"
    Haha ....... not quite. Though today he did cross for the 2nd Wimbledon goal.

• Options
    Thought he looked a decent presence in the middle of pitch but L1/L2 probably his level.
  • Options
    Thought he looked a decent presence in the middle of pitch but L1/L2 probably his level.
    Yeah that was my take. A 100%er
  • Options
    Yeah that was my take. A 100%er
    Slacker?  Got be 110% at least, surely?