Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doorbells.

What are the pros and cons and experiences people have had with those camera doorbell thingys?

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Ring Peephole video doorbell:

Pro:
    It works 99% of the time
    Very easy to install
    Quite a good battery life

Cons:
    Sometimes response can be 'Laggy'
    Ongoing charges if you want video sent to the cloud for security (and not just work as a doorbell)
    Battery charge time - we bought a spare battery so downtime is minimal.

Edit: sometimes sound is poor if people stand away from the door to talk

Overall. Pleased with it
  • Ring Peephole video doorbell:

Pro:
    It works 99% of the time
    Very easy to install

Cons:
    Ongoing charges if you want video sent to the cloud for security (and not just work as a doorbell)

Overall. Pleased with it
    We've got the standard Ring Doorbell. 

Agree with all the above. Downtime is about 60 seconds to switch batteries, once a month/two months.
  • Nest Hello

Works 99% of the time
    Links into Google Home services
    No battery, wired in

Cons
    Lag, even on connected to a fibre line
    £4 a month for Nest Aware for useful features

Overall really like it
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Ring Peephole video doorbell:

Pro:
    It works 99% of the time
    Very easy to install

Cons:

Overall. Pleased with it
    We've got the standard Ring Doorbell. 

Agree with all the above. Downtime is about 60 seconds to switch batteries, once a month/two months.
    Yes. We have a couple of external 'stick up' cameras, too.
    So a spare, fully charged battery comes in very handy
  • seth plum said:
    What are the pros and cons and experiences people have had with those camera doorbell thingys?

Suggest you Google the security issues on these.
  • seth plum said:

Suggest you Google the security issues on these.
    Yeah. Some ambiguity like how to fit them, monthly costs, what happens if you have a pvc double glazed front door, how the alert thing works, how many people get alerted at once and how you hear the bell ringing.
    Google isn't very comprehensive, thought CL would naturally be the best option.
    One major imponderable is getting some kind of phone signal, then answering it in time considering how fiddly and difficult it is to answer an ordinary mobile telephone phone call..in my rush I usually stab the wrong bit and cut the caller off!
  • Have the doorbell and a ring camera for the back garden.

Cant really disagree with Phantom_User.

Charging the battery doesnt really bother me too much now I always home. So I'll put it on charge in the morning and pop it back into the doorbell in the evening but no harm in getting a second one.

We just mainly use our for when the mrs is at home on her own and someone knocks the door of a night. The back garden one can be a pain when it wakes me up at 3 in the morning because there is motion. So far so good though and only ever been foxes and cats.

Then again I'd rather be woken at 3 in the morning to someone in my garden trying to get in than woken with them at the bottom of the stairs.
  • edited December 2020
    Fitted a Ring doorbell when I moved house in July. Works well 95% of the time but occasionally as already said takes too long to respond. Battery life is phenomenal really since middle of July I’ve charged mine twice. The last time being at the weekend just gone. I expect not to do it again until at least March. This is effectively what you get. Not my missus though. 

• Ring Peephole video doorbell:

Pro:
    It works 99% of the time
    Very easy to install

Cons:

Edit: sometimes sound is poor if people stand away from the door to talk

Overall. Pleased with it
    Agree with this. Another con is the dog goes ballistic when the Ring advert comes on the TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    We've had a thread on here this year about video doorbells and cctv (sure it wasnt that long ago but anyway!)

Had a Ring Pro for about 3.5 years now so this is a longer term 'review' as such.  Bear in mind I've got a wifi mesh system installed with 300mb download speeds, so probablly as good as you get without going BT FTTP, but anyway.

Slow as shit.  Still.  Doorbell rings, by the time my iPhone 11 Pro Max answered, said doorbell ringer (eg) delivery driver has already dunped the parcel on the front door and scarpered.

Oh and a common issue with ring door bells, if your doorbell is in the sun most of the day, expect the push button plastic to crack.  Ring refuse to change outside of your initial 12m warranty.  Cut a penny sized ring out of an old inner tube rubber and apply over the button with superglue.

The worst thing for me is its reliability to record video using motion detect.

We had 2 fellas on our drive for 15 mins trying to steal our car yet our Ring Pro recorded the square root of FA.  For the love of god, do not rely on wifi cameras to protect your property, get a wired system instead.

The Met have confirmed that wifi 'blockers' are being used in burglarys and car thefts. We've had a few instances on our road in the last couple of years where something has happened and the various wifi cameras havent picked anything up so we as a community feel that its prevalent.

I'm fortunate that I laid out for Hikvision ColourVu caneras and a NVR recorder before the events and the footage will be used in court in a couple of months.

Wouldnt but another Ring doorbell if you paid me in all honesty.

(However, having said that, using an Alexa Echo Show over the last week, when you link the doorbell up as a skill, it seems to load quicker on that than any of our mobile phones!)
  • https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3929515#Comment_3929515

My theory is this.  If you speak to a person at the door via your 'phone, they know you are not in.  If they are a thief they will therefore break in.

If you've got a regular doorbell and don't answer they will have to make a decision about whether you are out or just round the back, having a crap, watching the TV or whatever.
  • cafcfan said:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3929515#Comment_3929515

My theory is this.  If you speak to a person at the door via your 'phone, they know you are not in.  If they are a thief they will therefore break in.

If you've got a regular doorbell and don't answer they will have to make a decision about whether you are out or just round the back, having a crap, watching the TV or whatever.
    Just say you're poo-ing. 
  • I prefer to be told someone’s at the door, Bowyer shouts I look at the screen if they are still standing there it must be important. 😂

• cafcfan said:

This. I really can't see the point in all these new techy devices. If you are having a parcel delivered just make sure you have somewhere they can put it or leave with a neighbour. I'm of the persuasion of always answering the door when the bell rings. I never "vet" anyone & if its Jehovah Witnesses or suchlike I just say no & shut the door.

Then again maybe it's because our bell chimer is currently set to Mozart's Eine Klein NachtMusik and I love humming that during the day....😀
  • Just get rid of your door. The least you can do is let people walk in, have a drink and rummage around your wife’s underwear drawer at their leisure. If they burgle you, look on the bright side, it’s less for you to take when you move house. Why should they wait outside on your doorstep on a cold day waiting for you to answer and then Perv over them on your phone. 
  • cafcfan said:

This. I really can't see the point in all these new techy devices. If you are having a parcel delivered just make sure you have somewhere they can put it or leave with a neighbour. I'm of the persuasion of always answering the door when the bell rings. I never "vet" anyone & if its Jehovah Witnesses or suchlike I just say no & shut the door.

Then again maybe it's because our bell chimer is currently set to Mozart's Eine Klein NachtMusik and I love humming that during the day....😀
    I already find if you start talking about blood transfusions they soon £uck off.
  • I dont use mine for someone knocking the door. It's more for the motion at my front door at silly o'clock in the morning. There shouldn't be motion at my front door between certain times and if there is then I can take a look why without having to open the door at 2 in the morning

My mrs on the other hand will use it for people knocking the door. If I'm at work late and someone decides to knock the door when it's dark she doesn't have to worry about opening the door until she sees who it is.

There has been a fair bit of activity in my area lately where ring doorbells have picked up peoples faces where it looks like they've been trying to break in.
  • As a vegetarian I complain about Jehovah's Witnesses leather shoes and say 'thou shalt not kill? Do me a favour'.
    Works every time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020

What’s wrong with good old fashioned knockers?

• What’s wrong with good old fashioned knockers?
    What a lovely pair of classic knockers...
    ...in brass presumably?
  • such a Charlton tread! Yet I still opened it and read every post 

• What’s wrong with good old fashioned knockers?

I bet they would make a racket if you clattered them at the same time.