Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paolo Rossi RIP

Former Italian footballer Paolo Rossi, who led the national team to victory in the 1982 World Cup, has died aged 64, his family says.

Rossi was the top scorer and the best player of the 1982 tournament in Spain.

His memorable hat-trick eliminated favourites Brazil in a match many fans see as one of the greatest in World Cup history.

After retiring from football in the late 1980s, Rossi worked as a pundit for Sky, Mediaset and Rai.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55255240

Comments

• Options
    What a player he was. Star of the 1982 World Cup. RIP Paolo.
  • Options
    Bigger cheat than Maradonna
  • Options
    Another name from the past , 1982 World Cup was a thing of beauty, when I was an 11 year old totally in love with football  , we even wanted Scotland to win back then , what a goal David Narey !
    Paolo Rossi broke our hearts beating the footballing gods of Brazil , Zico , Socrates , Falcao and co 

RIP Paolo 
  • Options
    Another name from the past , 1982 World Cup was a thing of beauty, when I was an 11 year old totally in love with football  , we even wanted Scotland to win back then , what a goal David Narey !
    Paolo Rossi broke our hearts beating the footballing gods of Brazil , Zico , Socrates , Falcao and co 

RIP Paolo 
    I remember getting home from school and watching that game, one of the great games, and one of the best Brazilian teams, will add Junior and Eder to your players, but amazing performance from Rossi that day. RIP
  • Options
    Wow sad RIP.
  • Options
    Watched that Brazil game live on TV and it still ranks in my top 10 best games.

Far too young RIP
  • Options
    Very sad

Great penalty box finisher but provided lots of assists too
  • Options

RIP Paolo 
    But it did lead to one of the greatest goal celebrations ever in the final. 
  • Options
    Too young. Ciao Paolo.
  • Options
    So sad to read, RIP, Paolo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    saw him, Zoff, Platini and Boniek in a Juventus side against Man Utd in 83ish. It was my first European match and remember it being very surreal seeing superstars from my 82 World Cup sticker album.
    RIP
  • Options
    64 is no age, what a terrible shame.

A fantastic footballer.
  • Options
    The 1982 World Cup with all its faults is still my favourite.

RIP Paolo.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Wow - that's a shock. RIP.  
  • Options
    Very sad news, far too young. As well as being a great footballer, I remember him as being very good looking.
  • Options
    Wonderful player RIP
  • Options
    RIP - the 1982 World Cup was one of my first real memories of tournament football, the Brazil team from that year are probably still my favourite team to watch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP . Another great player from my childhood gone 
  • Options
    I was a 16 year old boy in 1982. One of the highlights of going home after exams was watching the football. In my opinion one of the best if not the best match I have ever watched Ferryman also said something similar. John Motson as commentator and some amazing football 
  • Options
    That 2nd Italy goal by Rossi. That Brazil defence playing like Charlton.

RIP Paolo Rossi.

• Options
    RIP. Very young.
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP Paolo Rossi.

You were different gravy at the 82 World Cup.

• Options
    RIP Paolo , great player.
  • Options
    the Aguero of Italy a jack in the box in the box .. an unforgetable hat trick v Brazil in 1982 .. R I P
  • Options
    RIP to a great player