Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Melrose

For me a Charlton legend, scored a hattrick in my first ever match. Scored that mad goal against West Ham. His goals helped keep us up in the 80s and took us to our first Wembley final in about 40 years.

Did you know his grandfather played for Scotland?

Comments

• Options

Who was his grandfather?
  • Options
    Proper striker
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Was the hat trick versus Everton at Selhurst Park? 
    It was.  Sheedy got a brace for them.  Cracking game
  • Options
    I was at that game..... I was allowed to stand right by the advertising boards (being very small) and thanks to to a copper going past me at that precise moment I missed his 3rd goal but heard the roar. ...... Those eyes.
  • Options
    Remember a great goal at The Dell - the ball sat up and he struck it superbly.
  • Options
    Think he ended up as an agent.
  • Options

Who was his grandfather?
    His nans husband 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is just up @jimmymelrose’s street ...
  • Options
    Remember that Hat Trick well, the game Steve Thompson got an elbow with a resulting huge black eye from Graham Sharp early doors, Sharp hid for the rest of the game. 

Wasn’t  Melrose diagnosed as having grass cuttings related Asthma when he played for us?
  • Options
    This thread is just up @jimmymelrose’s street ...
    No, I prefer to stay out of the limelight.
    It is nice to get so much appreciation though, and it's good to have something to read whilst in the waiting room to see my psychologist about my dissociative identity disorder.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    For me a Charlton legend, scored a hattrick in my first ever match. Scored that mad goal against West Ham. His goals helped keep us up in the 80s and took us to our first Wembley final in about 40 years.

Did you know his grandfather played for Scotland?
    It was my 1st game as well :-) 
  • Options
    I was also a famous Australian aviator.
  • Options
    Loved Jim... my first proper Charlton hero ... 
  • Options
    He never played at the Valley for Charlton although I think he featured for Manchester City against us in 1984. 
  • Options
    Great player
  • Options

Who was his grandfather?
    I'm not sure, but he told me this himself. I'll try and find out, great bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    He never played at the Valley for Charlton although I think he featured for Manchester City against us in 1984. 
    He may have also played for Wolves in the 3-3 in 1983? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I was at that game..... I was allowed to stand right by the advertising boards (being very small) and thanks to to a copper going past me at that precise moment I missed his 3rd goal but heard the roar. ...... Those eyes.
    I was there, 10 years old but watching the video clip it all came back to me.
  • Options
    Remember this great free kicks from Sheedy. how Soft were them free kicks though. Never been fouls.mark stuart and rob lee on the wings. Just shows how caress can go because Shen they first come on scene I thought Stuart would have the better career. 
  • Options
    Scored our fastest ever goal at Upton Park I recall - good player - I felt he underachieved and could have done more in his career though
  • Options
    I was at that one. Great to see that footage.
  • Options
    Melrose scored a great header against us for Man City in 85. He really could score all sorts of different goals including quite a few long range efforts (Man City, Everton away, Southampton away). 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Yes, scored the 3rd goal when they beat us 3-1. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I got thrown out of the game when Melrose got his third.  Apparently I over celebrated the goal - jumping forward instead of up and down.  I have seen and experienced some shit policing at football, but 30 years on I still don't understand what was going through that particular Plods head on that day.  
  • Options
    days like that made the eight hour journey back home to Bexley a lot more bearable ….