Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Break Dancing is now an official Olympic sport.

2»

Comments

• Options
    This is excellent news.  A return to the traditional values which used to pervade the Olympics.

Many of us yearn for the return of Sculpture and Poetry as Olympic events ... and the duelling pistol, of course (no prize for coming second).

And, for those of you who scoff ... which would be your new events?

Personally, I'd pay good money to watch International Knitting.
  • Options
    If they make breaking wind an Olympic sport, I shall enter
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    All my life I've been waiting for an Olympic event to be introduced where I have an outside chance of being competitive and potentially an Olympian.

Still waiting. 

Just for you @bobmonro

The Tug of War which I believe was last in the Olympics 1912 in Stockholm.

The training is eating all the pies and washed down with alcohol.

Are you up for this and prepared to be Anchor ?

Or do you think this is just rope a dope !
  • Options
    I struggle to take seriously any “sport” that needs to be marked. But I realise times change and my view is probably a minority.
    Olympic sports for me centre around athletics and swimming.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I struggle to take seriously any “sport” that needs to be marked. But I realise times change and my view is probably a minority.

Subjective sports like Ice skating/dancing in the winter Olympics and Boxing in the summer games are open to dodgy marking.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Subjective sports like Ice skating/dancing in the winter Olympics and Boxing in the summer games are open to dodgy marking.
    at least as skilful as the above sports and good to watch. More skilful than most gymnastic disciplines and the breakers have to be versatile as (supposedly) the music they are given to perform to is randomly selected and they must adjust to whatever is played.
    This will interest me more than (e.g.) taekwondo or Greco/Roman wrestling
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    All my life I've been waiting for an Olympic event to be introduced where I have an outside chance of being competitive and potentially an Olympian.

Still waiting. 

Just for you @bobmonro

The Tug of War which I believe was last in the Olympics 1912 in Stockholm.

The training is eating all the pies and washed down with alcohol.

Are you up for this and prepared to be Anchor ?

Or do you think this is just rope a dope !
    Where to I sign?
  • Options
    I love the idea of it , not sure about it being a sport but I think that about many events but there is no doubt of the skill involved in breakdancing & the athleticism of the people doing it .

It must bring us closer to turntablism being included then I’ll b in with a shout!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Street dancing is massive especially at youth level. 
    Is it.....I have never witnessed it anywhere and believe you me , I am very well travelled. To say it’s massive is a clear case of constructive ambiguity.
    Several hours of listening to the utterly pony music that goes with it as well....Jeeeezus!!!
    What next..............Hoola Hoop tournaments, Subbuteo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like you could do yourself an injury with this stuff.
    Mind you will they allow the Twist, The Locomotion, the Hitch Hiker and the Mashed Potato?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Is it.....I have never witnessed it anywhere and believe you me , I am very well travelled. To say it’s massive is a clear case of constructive ambiguity.
    Several hours of listening to the utterly pony music that goes with it as well....Jeeeezus!!!
    I think you’re taking the name ‘street dancing’ a little too literally. 
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks!
    Couldn’t agree more, bring back “Tug O War” I say....... of which I do have a couple of hard fought medals now proudly displayed on the family mantlepiece, won as a young squaddie 😳
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Pre Covid my 9 and 7 year olds had been going to street dance classes for 3 years.  
    Their dance club also enter them in competitions if they want to do that and they are extremely well attended with several hundred contestants at each event.

My eldest actually qualified for the Europeans (Berlin) and Worlds (Blackpool!) in the under 10 intermediate solo category of the UDO (United dance organisation) via the Essex regional competition, and those competitions would have had thousands of contestants in attendance over 3,4 or 5 days. 

Unfortunately competitions were cancelled due to Covid and their weekly classes moved to online lessons but the kids did not enjoy trying to dance in the living via a zoom call throughout lockdown and their interest has waned, which is a shame as it was 3.5 hours a week they were not on their devices. 

But unless you went to leisure centres, school halls, dance clubs or competitions you wouldn’t realise how popular street dance is. 
    We were shocked when went to first competition  at how many people were there and I would hazard a guess a lot more under 20’s take part in this compared to 
    Archery
    Diving
    Canoeing
    fencing 
    Sailing
    trampolining etc etc  

On that basis, could we have competetive football chanting?  ;)

Bit unfair on ballroom dancing, I believe they have been trying to get Olympic recognition for years?  

Good luck to them though, I shall treat it with the same amount of interest as I do water polo, wrestling and beach vollyball. Plenty of other stuff to watch.    
  • Options
    As long as there’s no spinning on yer heed.

Or in forty years time.................
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Pre Covid my 9 and 7 year olds had been going to street dance classes for 3 years.  
    Their dance club also enter them in competitions if they want to do that and they are extremely well attended with several hundred contestants at each event.

My eldest actually qualified for the Europeans (Berlin) and Worlds (Blackpool!) in the under 10 intermediate solo category of the UDO (United dance organisation) via the Essex regional competition, and those competitions would have had thousands of contestants in attendance over 3,4 or 5 days. 

Unfortunately competitions were cancelled due to Covid and their weekly classes moved to online lessons but the kids did not enjoy trying to dance in the living via a zoom call throughout lockdown and their interest has waned, which is a shame as it was 3.5 hours a week they were not on their devices. 

But unless you went to leisure centres, school halls, dance clubs or competitions you wouldn’t realise how popular street dance is. 
    We were shocked when went to first competition  at how many people were there and I would hazard a guess a lot more under 20’s take part in this compared to 
    Archery
    Diving
    Canoeing
    fencing 
    Sailing
    trampolining etc etc  

On that basis, could we have competetive football chanting?  ;)

Bit unfair on ballroom dancing, I believe they have been trying to get Olympic recognition for years?  

Good luck to them though, I shall treat it with the same amount of interest as I do water polo, wrestling and beach vollyball. Plenty of other stuff to watch.    
    I must admit to quite like watching beach volleyball!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Suggestions from my mate Paul:

Tug of War
    Ballroom Dancing
    Dominoes
    Band On The Run
    Let me Roll It

He didn't get it when I replied that these would never get off the ground and we'd talk more another day.

• Options
    Suggestions from my mate Paul:

Tug of War
    Ballroom Dancing
    Dominoes
    Band On The Run
    Let me Roll It

He didn't get it when I replied that these would never get off the ground and we'd talk more another day.

Tug of War WAS an Olympic event in the early 20c