Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Terry ... Remember him

Been a naughty boy

Paul Terry fined £1,000 after 209 rule breaches - and £46,916 betting losses

December 7, 2020Updated 11:12 AM UTC

West Bromwich Albion loans manager Paul Terry has been fined £1,000 and been advised to seek help over his gambling after admitting 209 breaches of FA betting rules, reports Steve Madeley.

Terry, the brother of former England captain John Terry, made net losses of £46,916.73 on his bets, an FA regulatory commission heard.

The former Yeovil player placed 34 bets that included competitions involving clubs he was involved in.

The Athletic has asked Albion for a comment.

What were the nature of the bets?

A betting company contacted the FA in August to alert them to Terry’s betting activity. The FA later found an account with a second betting company.

The commission’s report said Terry had admitted placing 209 bets reported he had made 34 “bets which included games in competitions that PT’s club had participated in during the relevant seasons. The 34 bets were all multiple bets.”

What are the rules around betting?

FA rules prohibit all employees of football clubs from placing any bets on football, regardless whether the bets relate to their own clubs or competitions.

How much did Terry lose on gambling?

The report read: “The overall amount staked by PT during the relevant period was £63,800.40.

“The returns were £16,883.67. This resulted in a net loss of £46,916.73.

“The average bet placed by PT across the 209 bets was £305.27. However, this figure was significantly skewed due to a handful of disturbingly high-stake bets that were placed by PT. 

“Whereas PT’s usual stakes were relatively low, ranging from £2 to £200, a number of bets placed, particularly in November 2017, stood out as being extremely high.

“By way of example, over an 18-day period in November 2017, PT staked £45,600 across 12 bets.”

The report said those November 2017 bets included a £10,000 wager on Germany to beat England, a £17,700 stake on Italy to beat Sweden and a £10,000 bet on Manchester United to defeat Basel in the Champions League.

What was his outlook on the situation?

The report read: “PT stated in interview that he had received education on betting and had been aware of the rules against betting on football albeit he was unsure that it applied to coaching staff.

“PT said that he has gambled all his adult life and that he was betting through boredom when he placed the bets on football. He said that he never bets beyond his means.”

Later, the report read: “PT did not consider himself to have a betting problem at all.”

What else did the FA say?

The report read: “The Commission was somewhat concerned and curious as to PT’s pattern of betting.

“PT had on a number of occasions placed very large stakes, that on the face of it appear to have been disproportionate to his football-generated income and he had lost a significant amount of money over a relatively short period of time.

“Given the above, the commission members were also concerned that PT did not consider himself to have a betting problem at all.

“The commission would urge PT to seek some help from the PFA, FA or other outside agencies in this regard

Comments

• Options

''The report said those November 2017 bets included a £10,000 wager on Germany to beat England, a £17,700 stake on Italy to beat Sweden and a £10,000 bet on Manchester United to defeat Basel in the Champions League.''

All three of those were losers, he should've just given up after that lol

• Options
    Chizz said:
    34 bets involving the club he works for.  £1,000 fine.  The FA are sending out a very powerful message to individuals breaking their rules.  And rightly so.  Because the football public deserve to be protected and deserve to know that the highest possible levels of integrity are being upheld.  

So it's good to see that people working for football clubs are going to be hit in the pocket if they breach the rules.  Very, very hard. 

Anyone thinking of betting on a match involving the club they work for faces a crippling fine. I hope it makes them think again.  Because, if they go ahead, they could well be fined £29.42.
    To be fair, he'd already paid the fine, kind of. This was more a tap on the wrist. 'Get some help' kinda thing 
  • Options
    He’s lost £47k on losing bets. £47k!!!!! If his missus didn’t know, she does now 
  • Options
    Wasn't he the fella who was shagging the fiancee of one of his team mates and when the team mate found out killed himself?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    He’s lost £47k on losing bets. £47k!!!!! If his missus didn’t know, she does now 
    Nothing compared to his brother. John was a serious gambler a few years ago, i remember reading that he'd remortgaged his house 3-4 times to cover losses that were allegedly running into the millions.

Surprised you even need a mortgage in the first place when you've been earning over 100k a week for about 15 years, never mind needing to remortgage again and again, so that tells you how much he must've been losing.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Wasn't he the fella who was shagging the fiancee of one of his team mates and when the team mate found out killed himself?
    Yes, unfortunately.  Dale Roberts was his name.  A horrific series of events.

His best mates were Paul Terry and Adam Johnson.... 
  • Options
    Didnt realise he had 2 kids with Paul Konchesky's sister
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Didnt realise he had 2 kids with Paul Konchesky's sister
    I remember it being in the paper when we played Yeovil in the FA Cup years ago. Terry scored in the game if I remember correctly. 
  • Options
    Didn't his mum get nicked for shoplifting as well?   Nice family!
  • Options
    As Dale Roberts' father once said "they say every family has a black sheep. The Terrys must have a whole flock"
  • Options
    What's dad been up to?
  • Options
    Maybe he's a teetotal, church going puritan?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    What's dad been up to?
    He has convictions for assault and dealing cocaine. John Terry's Mum and Wife were both arrested for shop lifting.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Nothing compared to his brother. John was a serious gambler a few years ago, i remember reading that he'd remortgaged his house 3-4 times to cover losses that were allegedly running into the millions.

Surprised you even need a mortgage in the first place when you've been earning over 100k a week for about 15 years, never mind needing to remortgage again and again, so that tells you how much he must've been losing.
    I guess People who earn loads don't buy a house or car like yours or mine and not have a mortgage. They buy the biggest stuff their salary can afford them. Maybe that's partly why rich people blow their cash, and if they lived like they did pre-money, they'd be comfortable for life. A lesson for all of us for when we also hit the big time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What gets me is that PT lost £47k & said that he doesn't have a betting problem. 

Errr....I think you do. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Not sure what it says about me but when I saw the name Paul Terry, prior to opening the thread, I thought it was going to be about the former Hampshire opening batsman.
    Same here I think malcolm Marshall broke his arm 
  • Options
    The Terry's have the aura of the family that live on your street and have 40 people around for a lockdown bbq.
    Funnily enough, John does live on my street - we are just out of shot on the left. He can't cook a burger for toffee.

What a result John Terry nets 10million profit in mansion sale  UK   News  Expresscouk
  • Options
    Apparently he only accepted help for his addiction after betting on Charlton to win at Millwall
  • Options
    Isn’t there a vid of the mum ??
  • Options
    What gets me is that PT lost £47k & said that he doesn't have a betting problem. 

Errr....I think you do. 
    I bet you he hasn’t 
  • Options
    Isn’t there a vid of the mum ??
    Haha that video whilst funny wasn't his mum.