Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Finding Recruiters / Changing Careers - Finance

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone potentially had any pointers for me.
I have just been made redundant as a mortgage advisor and I now need to consider my options, fast.

I've been a qualified advisor for a little over 24 months but I very much want to transition into a non sales area of finance. I am in the very early stages of ACCA, however I wasnt expecting to be in a position to be looking so soon.

Does anyone know if the best way to approach this type of career change, or perhaps companies worth speaking to?
Given my only qualification is in mortgage advice and I did not go to uni, I very much expect that I would need to start at the bottom and prepared for a 60% pay cut.

I am thinking the best approach is to get on the books with a recruiter so that they understand my situation, however I dont really know who to speak with.

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Im in the final stages of ACCA and do management accounting.  If I were you I’d use LinkedIn, which I assume you may already have?  If not get your page going.  You will have finance recruitment firms following you all the time and you can update your status with, basically what you just wrote in here, I also have family who work in recruiting (non finance) and they tell me LinkedIn is all they use these days.  Just make sure your page is loaded with key search words for recruiters to find you.

Seen as you have some sort of qualification in something finance related and are studying I’d guess you wouldn’t need to take such a dramatic cut, you’d probably be able to get into doing some basic reporting for industries you’re familiar with, financial services/banking/property perhaps.
  • Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Geographically where are you based/looking?

As above, get your LinkedIn up and running and make sure you switch on the 'available for work' function.

Finance is a very wide/non industry specific function (which is good). But you may well do best narrowing that down.

What area/field do you want to work in, what industries are likely to see growth when we eventually come out of Covid (i.e. you probably don't want to be looking for a finance role in a Retail company, possibly).

Recruiters at this level are mostly just interested in filling the roles they have than truly helping a candidate.

I'd try and narrow the search and then start looking at al the usual job sites and go from there.
  • Im in the final stages of ACCA and do management accounting.  If I were you I’d use LinkedIn, which I assume you may already have?  If not get your page going.  You will have finance recruitment firms following you all the time and you can update your status with, basically what you just wrote in here, I also have family who work in recruiting (non finance) and they tell me LinkedIn is all they use these days.  Just make sure your page is loaded with key search words for recruiters to find you.

Seen as you have some sort of qualification in something finance related and are studying I’d guess you wouldn’t need to take such a dramatic cut, you’d probably be able to get into doing some basic reporting for industries you’re familiar with, financial services/banking/property perhaps.
    I'll update my LinkedIn shortly, its something that I have very well kept. That said all I ever get is recruiters with advisory positions reaching out.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Geographically where are you based/looking?

As above, get your LinkedIn up and running and make sure you switch on the 'available for work' function.

Finance is a very wide/non industry specific function (which is good). But you may well do best narrowing that down.

What area/field do you want to work in, what industries are likely to see growth when we eventually come out of Covid (i.e. you probably don't want to be looking for a finance role in a Retail company, possibly).

Recruiters at this level are mostly just interested in filling the roles they have than truly helping a candidate.

I'd try and narrow the search and then start looking at al the usual job sites and go from there.
    Thank you, can already feel by pride taking a hit but we go on.
    I'm based in Essex and would prefer to work in London. Probably do not have the qualification requirements for it currently but I would consider working abroad at this point also.

My main areas of interest would be in corporate accountancy/analyst, macroeconomics and potentially investment banking (non sales roles). Not that I am in a position to be picky but my interests do lead towards larger scale entities.

• Try and get into regulatory compliance or aml/financial crime prevention roles. If you’ve got the qualifications for giving mortgage advice you should fit into a compliance team where the firm has a mortgage book and expand out from there. If you were doing your job properly you should have a reasonable basic idea of what to look out for for stopping crime/fraud. That background and experience should also transpose easily to a due diligence role as well. You might have to start with some short term contract positions at first but they usually pay well and will have a double benefit of putting something on your cv and give you a chance to build some relationships / put yourself in the frame for other work.
  • MattDee said:
    Hi all,

I have just been made redundant as a mortgage advisor and I now need to consider my options, fast.

I've been a qualified advisor for a little over 24 months but I very much want to transition into a non sales area of finance. I am in the very early stages of ACCA, however I wasnt expecting to be in a position to be looking so soon.

Does anyone know if the best way to approach this type of career change, or perhaps companies worth speaking to?
    Given my only qualification is in mortgage advice and I did not go to uni, I very much expect that I would need to start at the bottom and prepared for a 60% pay cut.

I am thinking the best approach is to get on the books with a recruiter so that they understand my situation, however I dont really know who to speak with.

Blacklock Financial
    Focus search & selection
    Oval Recruit

All of the above have plenty of finance jobs, at some of the UK's biggest firms. Might be a few entry level ones to sift your way through, but still for alright money.
  • MattDee said:
    Hi all,

@MattDee - Don't underestimate the qualification you have and the doors that will open up for you.  I'm a chartered accountant (Big 4 trained - now work in Mergers and Acquisitions) and recruiters will favour you over the many applicants that will have no qualifications at all.  I'd be very surprised if you have to take a huge pay cut if one at all.  The fact you are studying as well (so have some knowledge of accounting) will massively beneficial for you as well.  My advice would be to register with as many recruitment agencies as possible and also apply directly on company websites - go for as many roles as you can including those that seem a bit out of reach. Having the willingness to step out of your comfort zone will benefit you in the long run and will impress potential employers. I wish you all the best and please feel free to drop me a private message if you need any advice or help.

@BR7_addick - Good luck mate.  I don't envy you.  It's been nearly 15 years since I passed all of my ACCA exams.  I hear they're all computer based now.  I wish that was the case when I did mine, I'm sure I failed a couple because of my dreadful handwriting! :)

• I really appreciate all the replies, thank you for the guidance!
  • MattDee said:
    Hi all,

@MattDee - Don't underestimate the qualification you have and the doors that will open up for you.  I'm a chartered accountant (Big 4 trained - now work in Mergers and Acquisitions) and recruiters will favour you over the many applicants that will have no qualifications at all.  I'd be very surprised if you have to take a huge pay cut if one at all.  The fact you are studying as well (so have some knowledge of accounting) will massively beneficial for you as well.  My advice would be to register with as many recruitment agencies as possible and also apply directly on company websites - go for as many roles as you can including those that seem a bit out of reach. Having the willingness to step out of your comfort zone will benefit you in the long run and will impress potential employers. I wish you all the best and please feel free to drop me a private message if you need any advice or help.

@BR7_addick - Good luck mate.  I don't envy you.  It's been nearly 15 years since I passed all of my ACCA exams.  I hear they're all computer based now.  I wish that was the case when I did mine, I'm sure I failed a couple because of my dreadful handwriting! :)

Cheers mate you’re correct they all went computerised this year, it’s added years to me that’s for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone on CL works in Recruitment, I know his actual name, but his username escapes me.