Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Respect and tolerance

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/free-speech-is-under-threat-in-cambridge

Interesting debate going on at Cambridge which will possibly impact future policy in this country. Just heard a discussion on Radio 5 about it with Richard Dawkins who spoke perfect sense on the issue.

Is respect something you have to earn or should it be automatic. Some of this does depend to some extent as to how you define the meaning of respect?

As far as I can see you can tolerate views that you have no respect for.


Comments

  • What a load of bollocks  ;)

  • What a load of bollocks  ;)

    Short and to the point.
  • Leuth said:
    this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
  • I believe respect has to be earned, whilst tolerance is something you learn
  • edited November 2020
    There is no problem with tolerating views you disagree with as long as your challenge and counter position is tolerated too.
    Freedom of speech is quite a complicated one in terms of (to use the old example) should shouting 'fire!' in a dark and crowded Theatre be allowable if there is no actual fire?
    There was also a case (I think it was in the Portsmouth area) where a paediatrician was attacked and beaten up because some people near where he lived declared to all and sundry that he was a paedophile.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
    Not sure what your point is? It's a serious discussion and nothing to do with 'woke'.
    They're debating academic freedom at Cambridge University and given this is where so many of our leaders come from it will possibly influence future policies.


     
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
    Not sure what your point is? It's a serious discussion and nothing to do with 'woke'.
    They're debating academic freedom at Cambridge University and given this is where so many of our leaders come from it will possibly influence future policies.


     
    It's also where so many of our deadbeat football forum opinion-havers come from. Place is overrated, take it from me 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
    Not sure what your point is? It's a serious discussion and nothing to do with 'woke'.
    They're debating academic freedom at Cambridge University and given this is where so many of our leaders come from it will possibly influence future policies.


     
    It's also where so many of our deadbeat football forum opinion-havers come from. Place is overrated, take it from me 
    Really not getting your point. The place might be ridiculous but those who go there tend to run things which is why I raised this.

  • Plenty more go to Oxford tbf ;) 

    I can't really be bothered with all this, and in an ideal world, the balance of elitism wouldn't be such that a couple of universities would have a ludicrously outsize influence, but I take your point that they do. That said, I don't think this 'debate' is about anything of any real consequence, and I don't think it can be demonstrated that it is. 
  • seth plum said:
    There is no problem with tolerating views you disagree with as long as your challenge and counter position is tolerated too.
    Freedom of speech is quite a complicated one in terms of (to use the old example) should shouting 'fire!' in a dark and crowded Theatre be allowable if there is no actual fire?
    There was also a case (I think it was in the Portsmouth area) where a paediatrician was attacked and beaten up because some people near where he lived declared to all and sundry that he was a paedophile.
    I read that case, it happened in Bermondsey, not Portsmouth.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Leuth said:
    Plenty more go to Oxford tbf ;) 

    I can't really be bothered with all this, and in an ideal world, the balance of elitism wouldn't be such that a couple of universities would have a ludicrously outsize influence, but I take your point that they do. That said, I don't think this 'debate' is about anything of any real consequence, and I don't think it can be demonstrated that it is. 
    I hope you're right but my concern is that policies will be changed in academia, education, healthcare etc if we change what constitutes free speech. Whether we like it or not we're run by those from elite universities.

    If laws/policies change in the future then it will have an impact in my opinion. 

     
  • edited November 2020
    If anyone has a spare hour and a bit, watch the Oxford Union debate on no platforming (it's split into 8 videos, the first attached below).




  • I think everyone deserves respect until they don’t. Yes you can earn it and lose it. The word is another that has been hijacked, often meaning fear. Started with the mafia and now endemic in street language. In the broadest sense I would hope I treat everyone with respect. 
  • You should not treat others as you would not want to be treated yourself.


  • bobmunro said:
    Treating someone with respect and respecting someone are two different things.
    The former should be a given, the latter is earned.
    Very well put. 

    Out here I came face to face over the years with the Russian problem with respect. Basically they seem to expect it, both the Russian State on the world stage, and ordinary vlads (it's usually, but not always, a male issue), simply because they are Russian. It's obviously from somewhere in the culture. To an extent I can see it here too in the obsession with academic titles. Everyone carefully and proudly puts their degree abbreviation before their name on their business cards, and expect an enhanced show of respect just because of it.


Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out Forever!