Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Furniture Help/Misaligned Chest of Drawers

DA9DA9
edited November 2020 in Not Sports Related
Any furniture experts on here?

Have a chest of drawers that seem to get wider on the bottom set, won’t sit in runners, fall out etc, any suggestions?

TIA 

Comments

• Options
    I've got the same issue with a kid's "tallboy" falling apart. Going to take it apart and reassemble it today
  • Options
    Pad out the runner is probably easiest.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    1) Get a tape measure
    2) Confirm that the bottom is wider than the top.  If so, something has moved
    3) Work out how this movement has occurred (eg some fasteners are no longer fastening)
    4) Move it back to its original position (gentle 'persuasion' may be required)
    5) Re-fasten
  • Options
    This could be your best bet, make sure the back is fitted in its slots first.

• Options
    Turn it upside down.
  • Options
    That can be the trouble with modern flat pack furniture.

Plenty of pre-owned solidly built furniture available that can be used as it is, re-purposed, reconditioned or restored.

Do you know, it lasts a lifetime and rarely falls apart.

• Options
    Definitely ideal to order furniture from a charity shop.

Fridge freezer, double bed and mattress, sofa, TV, washing machine, vaccum, large book case, toaster and probably some other shit I forgot about.

Just £550 combined + 20 delivery fee

Sofa alone usually ranges £500-1000
  • Options
    Freecycle.org is an excellent website 
  • Options
    probably coming apart, remove drawers, reglue joins and if it has a backing reapply using as many pins as possible, ensuring it is square to itself, do this for the individual drawers also. It might also have got damp and wood has expanded or been badly made in the first place; or chuck it in a skip..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:
    probably coming apart, remove drawers, reglue joins and if it has a backing reapply using as many pins as possible, ensuring it is square to itself, do this for the individual drawers also. It might also have got damp and wood has expanded or been badly made in the first place; or chuck it in a skip..
    Unless he is the World's second greatest procrastinator (behind me) - I reckon @DA9 has probably already sorted this one way or another?!?
  • Options
    razil said:
    Chuck it in a skip? Most people round my way just dump it on the pavement and let the council sort it out.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    razil said:
    Chuck it in a skip? Most people round my way just dump it on the pavement and let the council sort it out.
    Nice.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    razil said:
    Bermondsey?
  • Options
    Find an axe 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    razil said:
    Bermondsey?
    Beckenham actually.
  • Options
    Where I used to live in Hackney you used to dump it on the street and within 30 seconds someone would have nicked it because no matter how shut it was it was better than what they had: 
  • Options
    If it ain’t there it can’t go wrong.