Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3 in 1 - An ex player, political correctness and the BBC...

Comments

• Predictable how this one has ended in taking sides.  

The sooner the masses realise that every story about gender neutral gingerbread people/censoring of naughty words/Individuals who criticise Churchill/a sacking for something not “PC” and all the rest of it, are simply to keep everyone arguing and taking sides and clicking on the next outrage story, paid up mouth pieces on both sides of the argument will become insignificant if we all stopped clicking and watching.

I mean seriously it’s a weekly thing, there’ll be another story not to dissimilar popping up on your news feed maybe today or tomorrow for us to get irate about this week, your dad will take one side and your niece who goes to uni will take another and the cycle begins again.

Alternatively you could ignore all the toxic shite and focus on news about things that actually might affect your life or things you actually enjoy.  👍🏻 
    It's gone a bit further than that sadly in terms of its implications hence the debate.
    Obviously it affects some more than others.
    Has it?  I’m not saying there aren’t individual cases of injustice, what I am saying is that a few loons who are offended by petty things to the point of complaining are no threat to me or what I do in anyway at all, so why should it concern me?
    Because, left unchecked, these things slowly become the norm
    What would be the norm?  Give me an example of what and how it would become the norm?
    People getting sacked for using the term handbags?
    Okay so you’re worried you might get sacked for using that at work?  I’m not.
    Good for you mate, fuck everyone else 
    You’re mad at me cos I’m not worried about getting sacked for saying “handbags”.  😂 

The sooner the masses realise that every story about gender neutral gingerbread people/censoring of naughty words/Individuals who criticise Churchill/a sacking for something not “PC” and all the rest of it, are simply to keep everyone arguing and taking sides and clicking on the next outrage story, paid up mouth pieces on both sides of the argument will become insignificant if we all stopped clicking and watching.

I mean seriously it’s a weekly thing, there’ll be another story not to dissimilar popping up on your news feed maybe today or tomorrow for us to get irate about this week, your dad will take one side and your niece who goes to uni will take another and the cycle begins again.

Alternatively you could ignore all the toxic shite and focus on news about things that actually might affect your life or things you actually enjoy.  👍🏻 
    It's gone a bit further than that sadly in terms of its implications hence the debate.
    Has it?  I’m not saying there aren’t individual cases of injustice, what I am saying is that a few loons who are offended by petty things to the point of complaining are no threat to me or what I do in anyway at all, so why should it concern me?
    Those 'few loons' control the narrative to the point where if every sane person stays silent and shrugs their shoulders then said loons have a free rein to shut down anyone they want to shout and cry about. There needs to be a sensible, counter argument from normal folk. If that means pointing out the lunacy of the loons then so be it. The loons will chip away at anything that doesn't fully subscribe to their ideology and will make sure anyone out of kilter with their though policing must, and will, be taken down.

It's a very slippery slope.
    Again, I’m not trying to arguing with anyone I just don’t see it like that.  The few loons are exactly that, a few loons, and if they stop the word faggot being aired on the radio I couldn’t care less, that’s not a slippery slope, it’s just stopping the word faggot.
    .....and that's a different thread. One in which I agree with removing the word, and have stated such.

This is about someone being suspended (others sacked or cancelled outright) for using an accepted term in football for men acting with huge amounts of bravado and having no end product to such bravado.

People complained about the use of the word 'handbags' a presenter not being very good and the BBC jumped in to action, as not being very good in the eyes of a few of its listenership is most definitely grounds for a suspension so that the individual concerned can have a think about being better in future.
    I take your point but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m not worried at all about the “slippery slope”.  I’m 100% sure my company won’t sack me for using that term, I wish the geeza well in getting another job, but I’m not gonna sit here and get wound up cos “PC gone mad” etc.

Nobody is getting wound up and claiming such doesn't help the debate. People are debating the issue. Nothing more.
    I don’t think you’d have to go far to find someone wound up by such issues.
    Reckon Phil Thompson might be a bit wound up
    Great player for Liverpool in his day.

What would be the norm?  Give me an example of what and how it would become the norm?
    You’re mad at me cos I’m not worried about getting sacked for saying “handbags”.  😂 
    You're mad at him for being mad at you because you're not worried about getting the sack for saying 'handbags'?

Why are you getting so mad, then?

See how unhelpful and untrue these sorts of assertions are? It's a tactic employed by some and often goes unchecked.
  • Well I’ve just deleted BBC Radio Lincolnshire from No.2 in my car radio speed settings. 
    On a serious level, honestly, Thommo has aged well. He don't look 65.

You're mad at him for being mad at you because you're not worried about getting the sack for saying 'handbags'?

See how unhelpful and untrue these sorts of assertions are? It's a tactic employed by some and often goes unchecked.
    I think you know I’m not mad, nice try tho.

What on Earth are you on about mate, let me break it down:

Man gets sacked for naughty word.
    Poster: slippery slope this.
    Me: I don’t think it is.
    Poster: fuck everyone else.

But you’ve found issue with my post..

I think you know I’m not mad, nice try tho.

What on Earth are you on about mate, let me break it down:

Man gets sacked for naughty word.
    Poster: slippery slope this.
    Me: I don’t think it is.
    Poster: fuck everyone else.

But you’ve found issue with my post..
    I know you're not mad. That was the whole point of my post. Just like @i_b_b_o_r_g wasn't mad at your post.

Are we now on the same page?

Honestly not mad at all mate. You're picking on the wrong one with this weird logic that anyone who doesn't agree with you, is angry beyond control. Life is good for me at the moment 🤩

I can say what I like where I work because I work on my own, but do find it strange you're argument seems to be that it don't affect you, so there's no issue.

Also think it a bit weird that you've not only opened a thread on something you're not bothered about, but commented on it a few times. 

Honestly not mad at all mate. You're picking on the wrong one with this weird logic that anyone who doesn't agree with you, is angry beyond control. Life is good for me at the moment 🤩

I can say what I like where I work because I work on my own, but do find it strange you're argument seems to be that it don't affect you, so there's no issue.

Also think it a bit weird that you've not only opened a thread on something you're not bothered about, but commented on it a few times. 
    It’s not weird logic here, you responded to me with “fuck everyone else then” not going to interpret that as “oh he’s taken this well” am I.

Not just me, I don’t think using the term “handbags” will affect anyone, apart the geeza it has done, you’re either in one of two camps:
    1) slippery slope as you put it, meaning people will start getting sacked everywhere for this.
    2) this is a one off bonkers scenario.
    I’m in 2).  

I’m not bothered no, I came for the debate.

• Well this thread is going completely to plan isn't it. 

The BBC makes a ridiculous decision (after complaints by, one would imagine, WUMs), knowing that once the culture-war operatives (the Daily Mail) grab a hold of it, angry citizens all across the country will be once more stirred up to lay into 'the woke'. There will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and it will be claimed that 'we' are at the mercy of an unknowable, unseeable enemy ('the woke') who have all the power over death and life, forever and ever, amen. And so will the old media cackle and rub their hands, for yea, verily, this is what they wanted. 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, power over death and life belongs to *checks* the establishment, as usual, Brexit is coming wahey, the Tories are in power and ahead in the polls, and 'the woke' are just young people.

All this hysterical whinging about how if you say you're English they throw you in jail bears absolutely no relation to our lives. 

Universal instalment of 'wokeness' (ugh) isn't what I want, nor what other progressives want. Nah, what we want is practical stuff, chiefly that people are treated well, not victimised and given the respect they're due. Steve Thompson isn't victimising anyone. He's not offending or  ostracising anyone. He's yet another pawn in the culture war now though, and this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
  • Sponsored links:

It’s not weird logic here, you responded to me with “fuck everyone else then” not going to interpret that as “oh he’s taken this well” am I.

Not just me, I don’t think using the term “handbags” will affect anyone, apart the geeza it has done, you’re either in one of two camps:
    1) slippery slope as you put it, meaning people will start getting sacked everywhere for this.
    I’m in 2).  

I'm not in either of those camps so there's at least one other camp to add to the list. In fact there are probably dozens of other camps for people to be in on this subject. It's not black and white. Suggesting such just paints a certain picture. Sometimes deliberately.
  • The woke then come out and make an overly emotive, wholly inaccurate and hyperbolic post to make it look like some right wing press conspiracy.

Rinse and repeat every time woke culture is questioned.

I’m in 2).  

I'm not in either of those camps so there's at least one other camp to add to the list. In fact there are probably dozens of other camps for people to be in on this subject. It's not black and white. Suggesting such just paints a certain picture. Sometimes deliberately.
    Well you’re either worried or you’re not mate, the debate as a whole isn’t black and white but I’m talking about being worried about using that term and losing employment.
  • 'Woke culture' doesn't exist, certainly not as a big unified thing. Or rather, it does, but only as a boogeyman for reactionaries to rail at
  • edited November 2020
    Leuth said:
    'Woke culture' doesn't exist, certainly not as a big unified thing. Or rather, it does, but only as a boogeyman for reactionaries to rail at
    I'll dance to that!!! Just don't blame it on the boogey.

However, woke culture very much exists.
  • Leuth said:
    'Woke culture' doesn't exist, certainly not as a big unified thing. Or rather, it does, but only as a boogeyman for reactionaries to rail at
    So you’re saying theres not an army of purple haired wokies coming to get me fired for a word I once said?
  • Leuth said:
    So you’re saying theres not an army of purple haired wokies coming to get me fired for a word I once said?
    Mate, they'll cancel you for saying boo to a goose! ('Boo' is a term of endearment for one's partner; interspecies relationships are abuse)

But in the real world, 'woke' originated as a term on American social media, used by the Black community (see also: 'bae', which is what I call my other goose) as a way of describing those who were aware of structural inequalities and unfair treatment (which all flared up in 2020 of course), so it did once have a real meaning and application. Of course, it has been co-opted. (What's that Leuth? Using the word 'woke' is appropriation, and therefore not woke? Oh my!)

But once again, in the real world, nobody outside of the specific initial context is using that word seriously now. Except as a boogeyman. Of purple-haired students who somehow have all the power in Britain
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Mate, they'll cancel you for saying boo to a goose! ('Boo' is a term of endearment for one's partner; interspecies relationships are abuse)

But in the real world, 'woke' originated as a term on American social media, used by the Black community (see also: 'bae', which is what I call my other goose) as a way of describing those who were aware of structural inequalities and unfair treatment (which all flared up in 2020 of course), so it did once have a real meaning and application. Of course, it has been co-opted. (What's that Leuth? Using the word 'woke' is appropriation, and therefore not woke? Oh my!)

But once again, in the real world, nobody outside of the specific initial context is using that word seriously now. Except as a boogeyman. Of purple-haired students who somehow have all the power in Britain
    I’m shocked, it’s almost as if all the terminology I learned on Twitter is irrelevant in real life.
  • The woke then come out and make an overly emotive, wholly inaccurate and hyperbolic post to make it look like some right wing press conspiracy.

Rinse and repeat every time woke culture is questioned.
    Ad infinitum 
  • Leuth said:
    Well this thread is going completely to plan isn't it. 

The BBC makes a ridiculous decision (after complaints by, one would imagine, WUMs), knowing that once the culture-war operatives (the Daily Mail) grab a hold of it, angry citizens all across the country will be once more stirred up to lay into 'the woke'. There will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and it will be claimed that 'we' are at the mercy of an unknowable, unseeable enemy ('the woke') who have all the power over death and life, forever and ever, amen. And so will the old media cackle and rub their hands, for yea, verily, this is what they wanted. 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, power over death and life belongs to *checks* the establishment, as usual, Brexit is coming wahey, the Tories are in power and ahead in the polls, and 'the woke' are just young people.

All this hysterical whinging about how if you say you're English they throw you in jail bears absolutely no relation to our lives. 

Universal instalment of 'wokeness' (ugh) isn't what I want, nor what other progressives want. Nah, what we want is practical stuff, chiefly that people are treated well, not victimised and given the respect they're due. Steve Thompson isn't victimising anyone. He's not offending or  ostracising anyone. He's yet another pawn in the culture war now though, and this is yet another example of the bollocks you're all being daily drip-fed to keep you angry at the 'woke'. 
    Really? And you have proof of that?
  • Sponsored links:

So you're upping the anti eh?

I'm offended by that phrase being used.
  • Woke means non or anti racist, and therefore it is a good thing.
  • edited November 2020
    Woke is a political term originating in the United States referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.
  • Chizz said:
    I am really surprised* at the amount of offence being taken at the BBC making the decision not to continue using a freelancer who isn't very good.  

I guess when the Daily Mail and the Sun want their readers to get upset at the BBC, it's now very easy.  Especially when they can claim that it's because the corporation is woke and a bit lefty.  

A freelancer not being used must be because it's a bit sexist and must be because the woke brigade have had their say. Stands to reason, dunnit?  

For me, I think it's better that the BBC decides whom the BBC uses, rather than the Daily Mail and the Sun deciding for them.  

(*I'm not surprised at all). 
    On what basis are you saying that Thomo isn’t a very good commentator?
    He’s hugely popular in Lincolnshire and is something of a local celebrity......as well as being a football pundit/commentator.
  • I thought anti racist meant anti racist, and woke was a term to use for looking for "isms" that aren't there?
  • Leuth said:
    Well this thread is going completely to plan isn't it. 

But that's not quite true is it?

Thanks to the long march through the institutions, it's not the young, purple haired types that are the problem (although they are certainly irritants who see 1984 not so much as a warning from history, but more of an instruction manual).

The point is that 'woke-ism' is now the preserve of the middle class/managerial class.  Hence why it has been adopted by all sections of Government, corporations and is of plague proportions within the public sector (where it is a well paid alternative to work for the most narcissistic and dim, as far as I can work out - a great way to be a success without the need for intelligence, nuance or critical thinking).  What is the consequence of this?  Compulsory 'training' and 'diversity' initiatives throughout the land based on the racist conspiracy theory that is 'critical race theory' which has unaccountably, once again, been adopted by all levels of Government, the corporations and the public sector.  Of course, such courses are provided for a suitable fee by the professional  race baiters who have to see racism everywhere to justify their own lucrative existence.  Failure to give the correct answers that the cult of woke demands will mean punishment and even dismissal.  As such, there are numerous stories of terrified employees reduced to tears as they apologise for simply existing, or 'white privilege' as its known these days.  Add to this the 'cancellation' of people and you can see that it is not just the Twitter snowflakes that are the problem and if they are harmless, why do they now have the power to dictate the policy of public institutions, corporations and even sections of government?

The woke have the power nowadays, that is the point.

P.S Chizz, in classic woke fashion, you are ignoring the points made to you about the original 'offender' and instead, I assume as you have provided no evidence of e.g that no complaints were made about the 'handbags' comments, your perception, or fact?  If, as you say, this is 'fake news' then please provide the evidence.  If you're right, then you're right.  That's how debate works.
  • There we seem to have a problem.
    'Woke' appears to mean different things to different people.
    To me it means if you're described as woke, you are being described as an anti racist.
    Therefore to me the term 'war on woke' means a war against those who oppose racism, possibly those who oppose racism in a strident way.
    It is a word that might be defined by it's usage, as the word 'chav' seems to be defined that way.

• Two thoughts - Thommo being 65 is probably as big a crime in the BBC as anything he's said, and if they do get rid of commentators who annoy people,why did we have to listen to Alan Green for so long?
  • seth plum said:
    There we seem to have a problem.
    'Woke' appears to mean different things to different people.
    To me it means if you're described as woke, you are being described as an anti racist.
    Therefore to me the term 'war on woke' means a war against those who oppose racism, possibly those who oppose racism in a strident way.
    It is a word that might be defined by it's usage, as the word 'chav' seems to be defined that way.

Woke means different things to different people. 
    You are the only person who I have heard describe Woke as meaning anti racist.
    How can using the expression handbags be considered racist for example.